over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Job change... Fitness industry ?

LATS

Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
Staff member
Registered
Ok.. Here is the situation... I work for a very large vp box store.. Have for 12 years.. They announced that my position will be eliminated in January.. I was told that they will find a position for me ( but I'll bet it will be less pay) but not sure I want to stay as the company is kinda unstable.. The biggest reason I stayed all these years is the benefits ( insurance and three week vacation) .. But the job itself is not to my liking at all..

My wife is taking a job at a hospital that has great benefits so I'm not tied down to just having a job for benefits.. I have to keep my benefits U til after my knee surgery in June then it can cancel it..

Now in the past I owned a gym and wrote for a few magazines.. The gym biz is too competitive in this town now and there isn't much money in writing.. Personal training is a option as I had done it in the past but very up and down income wise..

I guess I could personal train ( I have a elaborate home gym ) and write but the income will not be there .. For those in the industry is there other avenues you have ventured into that were profitable to help supplement your income ? I don't need " silly " money because this town is cheap to live in just avenues I can use.. Just curious ;)

Have you thought about expanding to online coaching?

Have you thought about expanding to online coaching?

Yeah I used to do that a bit here.. Just helping some of the members in regards to training but never charging anything.. It's something I have considered in regards to training .. I'll leave contest prep to those who don't have a love for Big Macs as I do ;)

I'm in the gym business(DM level)...it's very competitive and shady these days...very watered down compensation from what it was 10yrs back

I was looking forward to leaving it, but its doesn't look likely

Yes.. I had a gym for about 8 years.. The whole " sales" portion of many gyms and fitness centers these days is akin to a bad used car lot.. We had set prices.. No pressure and was fairly successful.. But competing with rec centers and the Y eventually got very old.. Gotta love those non profits that operate like the profit is all they know lol..

God damn, no. Your not gonna a be able to support your family on a personal trainer salary unless you spend some serious moola for your business.

Please find something​ else

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I work in sales for a major supplement company based in Canada (I'm in texas). Quarterly bonuses are growth based, but my salary is solid and allows me to live comfortable. I too, worked for gyms in management roles, but those jobs were too heavily performance based. Being in the "industry" isn't all you may think, but for half my day, I work from home. I can't complain

God damn, no. Your not gonna a be able to support your family on a personal trainer salary unless you spend some serious moola for your business.

Please find something​ else

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yeah.. That's why in my post I mentioned I can't make a living just doing personal training.. That's why I'm asking what other ventures people have used in connection.. I agree..

you can't go wrong doing something you have love for... you will make it work

Yes.. I had a gym for about 8 years.. The whole " sales" portion of many gyms and fitness centers these days is akin to a bad used car lot.. We had set prices.. No pressure and was fairly successful.. But competing with rec centers and the Y eventually got very old.. Gotta love those non profits that operate like the profit is all they know lol..

Up here in the northeast the low price model is hurts everyone...I feel bad when I see a local club get swallowed

That is soo soo true mightyjohn. I live in the northeast myself and all that stays is the commercial gyms and there's only 1 independent owned hardcore gym in my area. I wish it was closer to me but I still go there to workout a few times a month just for the atomsphere and the crazy heavy dumbells and nice squat racks they have.

I'm a firm believer of keeping hobbies and work separate. Otherwise I've found I grow to hate what I love to do

I've heard you can make some decent cash in the grapefruit industry...

I made a big change

LATS, I have been reading your posts for many years. You're a super bright guy and you can do anything.
I was 20 years corporate IT for a fortune 50 and was basically asked to relocate or offered a severance. I took it, I was ready for a change anyway. I am a real estate agent now. it's a tough gig, super competitive.. But I have always competed in one way or another....
Its been nearly a year since I started down this path and things are beginning to accelerate. I think its going to work out{no pun}. Its definitely not for everyone, but I run my own show 100%.
Financial adviser, real estate agent or mortgage broker... They are all tough gigs but if you focus and work it like contest prep anything is possible. Money, independence, total control of your own destiny :D:D

Last edited:
Personal trainers here in Cali who know how to market themselves make 60-80k and some more. That's if your private and rent out your own studio.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131