YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many exercises per bodypart for max growth?

B-Trotter

Registered
Observationally, the majority of bigger guys (220>) I see tend to do at least 2 exercises per bodypart.

There are also loads of guys with respectable physiques (<220) who say that 1 exercise per muscle is enough for max growth.

Hypothetical: identical twins, same diet and recuperation factors. Twin 1 uses 1 exercise per muscle twice per week, twin 2 uses 2 exercises per muscle twice per week. Both train to concentric failure in the same rep range. Who builds the most mass?

Doing 2 exercises would be twice the work, so I say that guy

No difference in the twins if they are doing the same amount of total sets. Twin one does 6 sets of barbell incline presses. Twin two does 3 sets of flat bench press and 3 sets of decline flyes. The chest muscles of either twin do not know what exercise is being performed. Muscles contract in response to the stimuli and respond.

This is totally dependant on the amount of intensity involed in each set and that specific muscle group no way too put a number on it that is right across the boars

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

No difference in the twins if they are doing the same amount of total sets. Twin one does 6 sets of barbell incline presses. Twin two does 3 sets of flat bench press and 3 sets of decline flyes. The chest muscles of either twin do not know what exercise is being performed. Muscles contract in response to the stimuli and respond.

I see what you're saying, but what about if twin 1 does 3 sets of inclines and twin 2 does 3 sets of inclines and 3 sets of flats?

This discussion is as old as working out. There is no clear cut or definitive answer.

You will get heated support for both sides of this as people have had great success. Your last post gets away from your original question regarding number of exercises now onto number of sets.

The bottom line is there is a point of diminishing return with number of sets or exercises. Where that line is will depend on the individual due to the intensity they actually generate, do they like to push each set to failure or do they tend to stop short. Do they like working out every day or do they like to have days off....

The bottom line is experiment to find out what you believe works, what you enjoy doing, and stick with it on a CONSISTENT basis over a long period of time.

This discussion is as old as working out. There is no clear cut or definitive answer.

You will get heated support for both sides of this as people have had great success. Your last post gets away from your original question regarding number of exercises now onto number of sets.

The bottom line is there is a point of diminishing return with number of sets or exercises. Where that line is will depend on the individual due to the intensity they actually generate, do they like to push each set to failure or do they tend to stop short. Do they like working out every day or do they like to have days off....

The bottom line is experiment to find out what you believe works, what you enjoy doing, and stick with it on a CONSISTENT basis over a long period of time.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Professional Muscle mobile app

when I was making some of my best gains. I found 8 working sets per week was about the max if I wanted continued growth. If I added in forced reps, drop sets etc. for even 2 sets. I would stall my progress after 2 weeks of adding in the extra stress. And would take a couple weeks to recover from the added work load. But that was when I was natural.

Ive been on dogshit and honestly, after I do my first rest pause all I need after is 2-3 sets of high rep flys. There is no way I'd need more after benching 335 15 times, other than getting a pump.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

IMO:

Twins analogy doesn't work on some occasions. Using two different people with same body/height/sets/reps/rest/calories can sometimes yield different results... Genetic response. Same with food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's all part of the "tool box" that we as bodybuilders use. I've done some training sessions using just one move for that muscle, I've also done some that are up to 5 different exercises for a specific muscle. Both extremes have benefits. I think the muscle, as a general rule needs to be hit from different angles for max development over the long haul. We need to learn what moves "work" for us the best. Those are gonna be different for everyone. For example, a lot of guys like close grip bench press for tris, as one of their mass builders, they never did shit for me. Triceps are easy to make sore, if you pound an exercise hard for a decent amount of sets and don't have any soreness or stiffness in that muscle the next day, then maybe that move isn't for you. Or, your mind muscle connection, or form, just sucks. There are moves that stimulate more fibers, those need to be mastered and be part of the core of our training.
A great way to find out if a move is any good for you, is to do just that one exercise, for enough sets and intensity that you(from experience) know was "enough". If you feel nothing the next day, then throw that out forever. It's a waste of time, unless you like being in the gym for over an hour and getting nothing out of it, other than some calories being burned.
Keep the core moves that you have learned work for you in your training 80 percent of the time. The other 20 percent will give your CNS a break.

u should be doing at least 5 different movements for chest to hit all the parts IMO

-incline for upper pec
-flat for middle pec
-decline for lower pec
-flies for upper/inner pec
-dips for inner/outer pec

u should be doing at least 5 different movements for chest to hit all the parts IMO

-incline for upper pec
-flat for middle pec
-decline for lower pec
-flies for upper/inner pec
-dips for inner/outer pec

Certain muscles will require more moves for full development, I agree. Do they ALL need to be done in the same workout, I don't think so. Mix it up, but I don't think we need to be freaks about it either.

There is a lot of "bleed over" into the other fibers. One move doesn't totally isolate and leave other parts of the same muscle with no stimulation.

Last edited:
just pick a couple exercises that stimulate that muscle most. that would prob be dips and decline press. muscles respond in an all or none fashion. your chest isnt going to only use upper chest to do an incline. in fact its prob gonna use your front delts more than anything... dips or decline bench allows safest path of motion so you can use maximum weight thus more stimulus achieved.

the truth: the chest brings arms across the body. period.

genetics shapes a muscle. excercise n juice n food just makes that muscle bigger. but shape is pre-determined. ie people with small calves. like Dennis Wolf i am sure he tried every angle and exercise he could. Phil Heath and small chest due to narrow clavicles not due to not doing enough diff exercises.
-F2S

Last edited:
Certain muscles will require more moves for full development, I agree. Do they ALL need to be done in the same workout, I don't think so. Mix it up, but I don't think we need to be freaks about it either.

There is a lot of "bleed over" into the other fibers. One move doesn't totally isolate and leave other parts of the same muscle with no stimulation.

I was jk lol.. thought including a movement for the inner/outer pec would be a clue ;)

I only do 1 movement for chest - a flat cable press (lol)

might start doing incline BB afterwards though just for a heavy compound... maybe :cool:

I was jk lol.. thought including a movement for the inner/outer pec would be a clue ;)

might start doing incline BB afterwards though just for a heavy compound... maybe :cool:

thank god lol! i quoted you and then felt bad for disagreeing so much so erased quote and softened my response LOl
-F2S

Oh gosh, you fag. lol, I thought you were serious. But there is a little truth I think in what you wrote.

thank god lol! i quoted you and then felt bad for disagreeing so much so erased quote and softened my response LOl
-F2S

I got to read it, it was good. I agree with you too. :D

I had to reread that part because I was thinking wtf is he talking about inner/outer lol

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws