over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Backyard Chicken Coop for Hens to lay eggs

Fit2Serve

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Considering getting some Hens for fresh egg production. We live in the city but they just passed a law you can have up to 6 chickens in city limits.

Anyone currently have their own Hens that produce eggs?
Pros and Cons of this?
Is it alot of work or fairly manageable?

I think my daughters (7 and 9 yrs old) would LOVE it!
-F2S

I have chickens. They lay an egg a day. When sourcing chicken feed mix in flax to increase Omega 3. I like Bantam's they lay big brown eggs. No need for a Rooster IMO.

I've had them in the past, I live in the woods, so predators were a huge problem. I'll be getting a few hens this year though. I second the recommendation of Bantam's, they're good layers and easy to manage.

If you are using an enclosed coup, cleaning kind of sucks. But it's not hard if you keep it up rather than waiting for the shit to pile up. I free range, so it's no big deal for me, they will only spend the night in the coup.

I've had them in the past, I live in the woods, so predators were a huge problem. I'll be getting a few hens this year though. I second the recommendation of Bantam's, they're good layers and easy to manage.

If you are using an enclosed coup, cleaning kind of sucks. But it's not hard if you keep it up rather than waiting for the shit to pile up. I free range, so it's no big deal for me, they will only spend the night in the coup.

how much space do they need to be free range? say, if you had 3 of em...
-F2S

how much space do they need to be free range? say, if you had 3 of em...
-F2S

Not very much, I'd say a small backyard is plenty of space for a few hens. They only problem you may run into is, if they want to leave your property, they will. They can get over a fence no problem. I have just under 1/2 acre, but my neighbors are cool and don't mind if they go onto their property. They help a lot with ticks, grubs and other bugs. I still give laying pellets as well as they'll produce better eggs and I want to make sure the get enough food.

I have 18 chickens at the moment. Over the years ive lesrned that the best layers are rhode island reds, black sexlinks, americaunas, buff orpingtons and bantys. They're great pets, your daughters will love them, my 6 year old girl spends a lot of time with them and doesn't mind cleaning the coop so that's kinda nice as far as the work and mess go.

They don't need a whole lot of room to roam at all, just eniugh to scratch around on the ground to get all the good stuff (insects,grass,dirt,worms) that makes the best eggs when they free range like that.

One thing I suggest to to anyone starting out raising them is to make individual nesting boxes, one for each hen. They enjoy there own spot when laying, they will each pick a box and use it everytime, this way you can keep track of which hen is laying eggs or not. I also suggest layer pellets as it will make a stronger egg shell to help keep it strong and not crack or break before you get to them. A good layer will lay one egg everyday.

Nothing beats a farm fresh egg! Enjoy brother.

Hope you like rats. Grew up on a ranch and always had chickens. Also had rats near chickens. It's not too bad when you have a ton of space and the birds are 75 yards from the house. In the burbs? No thanks.

Hope you like rats. Grew up on a ranch and always had chickens. Also had rats near chickens. It's not too bad when you have a ton of space and the birds are 75 yards from the house. In the burbs? No thanks.

This is trrue. Rats love grain. Good thing I got one hell of a barn cat that's a rat hunting SOB.

They have to be protected from predators. I had them in an old dog kennel with a roof on it, and that kept them safe, but I didn't like the accumulation of crap. Ideally, you'd extend that safe zone to include a grassy area too, but one with chicken coop wire or fencing overhead to keep predators out but to let sunlight and rain in.

The eggs taste better; the yokes are a deeper yellow; the shells are harder; and the omega 3 profile is better IIRC.

I used to have a chicken when I was a kid, stupid thing would eat it's own egg everyday. So much for organic free range eggs

To save alot of the cleaning make your coup light enough to move around the yard with a open bottom this way instead of shoveling shit just keep it moving in around fertilizing your yard. I've had a pretty good number of them and never cleaned up bird shit you just have to learn how often yours needs moved...another thing I think makes eggs better is feed them your more quality table scraps a fuckn chicken will eat anything....as much food as a body builder goes through you shouldnt have to buy any food for your chickens only having 6 chickens

Last edited:
ok i am in and gonna do this.

only detterent really is if we wanna go on vacations. we take the family dog. cant really take the hens lol. so will have to have my niece or nephew come by check on em etc. i think that wont be too much trouble.

we are gonna do chicken coop for eggs and a back patio garden. prob potatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, strawberries.... stil researching
-F2S

Great idea

I have about 20 on my land and they produce a shit ton of eggs but also only feed them scraps from our restaurant so it's all organic same with the pigs!!we get about 18 eggs a day in average and saves me a lot of money with the amount I ea...so with all means do this and you won't be dissatisfied

I'd say no rooster if you have a fence and aren't worried about predators...a rooster will tear them hens all to hell

I'd say no rooster if you have a fence and aren't worried about predators...a rooster will tear them hens all to hell

i have researched everything BUT what a Roosters funcion is (besides mating) researching now..... thx! (dont plan on getting one but will be cool to learn about)
-F2S

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner