over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Pulled muscle in chest

Ring9841

Registered
Hey guys new to the forum never posted but got a lot of great info from everyone else's posts. so yesterday when doing bench press was repping 225lbs got to rep 5 and when i went to press it felt like my right pec gave out like if you had a rubberband really tight then just let go. I injured my left pec twice in the last four years but nothing like this, I was in very bad pain the rest of the night and still am today. My right pec is swollen today but is not bruised i have a lot of pain and have no strength to lift anything. Really don't want to go to the dr because my insurance sucks and I know it's not bad enough for them to do anything other than say to rest. But my question is this is the 3rd time I've injured my chest and all 3 times have been when I throw in barbell bench when I have been used to doing dumbells and machines. Does anyone have an opinion as to if it's because my body isn't used to doing barbell or if it's just a coincidence? I'm starting to think it's not just a coicidence and probably won't be going back to barbell just sticking to dumbells. What you guys think?

Hey guys new to the forum never posted but got a lot of great info from everyone else's posts. so yesterday when doing bench press was repping 225lbs got to rep 5 and when i went to press it felt like my right pec gave out like if you had a rubberband really tight then just let go. I injured my left pec twice in the last four years but nothing like this, I was in very bad pain the rest of the night and still am today. My right pec is swollen today but is not bruised i have a lot of pain and have no strength to lift anything. Really don't want to go to the dr because my insurance sucks and I know it's not bad enough for them to do anything other than say to rest. But my question is this is the 3rd time I've injured my chest and all 3 times have been when I throw in barbell bench when I have been used to doing dumbells and machines. Does anyone have an opinion as to if it's because my body isn't used to doing barbell or if it's just a coincidence? I'm starting to think it's not just a coicidence and probably won't be going back to barbell just sticking to dumbells. What you guys think?

Seems like you already know the solution, and should have after the 2nd time it happened.

I never flat barbell bench anymore. It's the destroyer of pecs. Sounds like you have a partial tear or tendon rupture.

There's something mechanically wrong with how you're pressing for this to happen for a 3rd time.

Since you're in pain, you should be icing and taking anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen). After 72 hours since the onset of injury, stop icing and anti-inflammatory meds and use heat.

Right off the bat I would assume a muscle tear since there is loss of function. Brusing doesn't happen all the time with those. But you can have functional loss from inflammation. You won't know for sure until you get imaging done. If insurance blows, just rest it and slowly get back into your routein. Pain = something's wrong, so if you feel it, back off. Stick to dumbbells and machines.

There's something mechanically wrong with how you're pressing for this to happen for a 3rd time.

Since you're in pain, you should be icing and taking anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen). After 72 hours since the onset of injury, stop icing and anti-inflammatory meds and use heat.

Right off the bat I would assume a muscle tear since there is loss of function. Brusing doesn't happen all the time with those. But you can have functional loss from inflammation. You won't know for sure until you get imaging done. If insurance blows, just rest it and slowly get back into your routein. Pain = something's wrong, so if you feel it, back off. Stick to dumbbells and machines.

Got off work and chest is swollen even more so than when I woke up this morning I will ice throughout the evening and keep taking ibuprofen. Guess I made a big mistake by thinking I'd be fine as long as I didn't go heavy.

Seems like you already know the solution, and should have after the 2nd time it happened.

Yea your defineatly right guess I had the mentality if I wasn't going heavy it'd be all good. Obviously that didn't work out too well!!!

I dont have any advice on your injury because each one is different but hopefully it turns out to be not serious but time and an MRI will tell, when you get back to lifting be smart and don't do barbell bench, both my pec tears and my pec strain last month were from flat bench. Its an ego lift that's it you don't need it to build an impressive chest. Crazy thing is I hurt mine on only 225 last month too, which is very light for me, some how I felt a pop coming down on my first rep though.

To cause those injuries, you're probably twisting your rib cage on the bench and over stretching the injured side. I had to go to a therapist for the same issue and gave up flat bench after nearly tearing my pec...again.

To help heal much faster use dmso and break open a liquid Ibuprofen cap and rub over sore area

To cause those injuries, you're probably twisting your rib cage on the bench and over stretching the injured side. I had to go to a therapist for the same issue and gave up flat bench after nearly tearing my pec...again.

I will definitely be giving up barbell bench and sticking to dumbells

To help heal much faster use dmso and break open a liquid Ibuprofen cap and rub over sore area

Thanks for the input! I had never heard of dmso, just looked it up and will give it a try. I want to be able to get back in as soon as possible. I had only been back in the gym for about a month then this happens. Before that I had to take about 3 and a half months off because I lost a finger and severely damaged another finger in a work accident so I'm not even healed from that!

You don't need barbell bench to have a great chest. It's obviously not a good movement for you, so time to eliminate that one from your routines.

Ice and time I would think.

I tore my pec at the shoulder three years ago, same weight, same rep. Took me a year to recover from it. The worst part is each time I do bench now, I'm waiting to hear that god awful tearing sound again. I'm thinking to give up flat bench as well. I've always just liked it as it really gives me a measurement of where I am strength wise. But in reality, it's an old school dangerous exercise. Once you tear a pec, it's very easy to have happen again as the muscle fibers heal in a checkerboard fashion. They tear more easily a second time.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys! I think I got lucky, been icing every night and taking ibuprofen, right pec is still pretty swollen and over the weekend noticed 2 very tiny almost not noticeable bruises, but pain has gone away at rest. And only have a sore kind of pain when I stretch the muscle. Definitely be taking it easy for a few weeks and babying it. Should I still be icing or is it past the point of the icing helping?

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I got lucky, been icing every night and taking ibuprofen, right pec is still pretty swollen and over the weekend noticed 2 very tiny almost not noticeable bruises, but pain has gone away at rest. And only have a sore kind of pain when I stretch the muscle. Definitely be taking it easy for a few weeks and babying it. Should I still be icing or is it past the point of the icing helping?

If you didn't fully tear it, do like counter pushups from different angles, then work your way up to floor pushups. Do these daily. You'll know when you can go back to weights. When you do, warm up for a very long time, doing 4-6 warmup sets, then go light weight, higher steady reps for literally like 2-3 months. This will help keep the muscle you have until it's healed all the way. This is how I returned. It took me a full year to get back to the weight I was at when I tore it.

If you did not fully tear, thank you're lucky stars as this injury can be among the very worst for BB and weight lifters. It's actually ended many careers. Don't take it lightly and rush back. It's depressing, but you can focus on everything around the chest and just maintain the chest.

If you didn't fully tear it, do like counter pushups from different angles, then work your way up to floor pushups. Do these daily. You'll know when you can go back to weights. When you do, warm up for a very long time, doing 4-6 warmup sets, then go light weight, higher steady reps for literally like 2-3 months. This will help keep the muscle you have until it's healed all the way. This is how I returned. It took me a full year to get back to the weight I was at when I tore it.

If you did not fully tear, thank you're lucky stars as this injury can be among the very worst for BB and weight lifters. It's actually ended many careers. Don't take it lightly and rush back. It's depressing, but you can focus on everything around the chest and just maintain the chest.

Wow I'm hoping mine doesn't take that long to recover! I will defiantly be taking it easy as I don't want to do more damage. One question though when I do start getting back to weights what type of movement would be less likely to do damage flys or presses?

Wow I'm hoping mine doesn't take that long to recover! I will defiantly be taking it easy as I don't want to do more damage. One question though when I do start getting back to weights what type of movement would be less likely to do damage flys or presses?

Focus on DB incline, DB decline and slow DB flyes. If you can get Graston technique therapy it will help keep the scarring down.

Even as a weaker guy (especially compared to most on this board), even getting up past 225-250 on bench caused a lot of stress on both my pecs and especially my delts. After feeling a few tweaks and having to take some weeks off on two separate occasions, it occurred to me that it wasn't anywhere near to worth it. There were a ton of other chest movements that I felt really worked my chest well, in many cases better than flat BB. I will still occasionally do incline BB, but besides that it's all DB and hammer strength machines, as well as machine flys. I wouldn't necessarily tell that to someone who's making great progress with no pain on flat BB, but for someone in your situation, it seems like the obvious solution.

Smartest thing you can do is give up the bench press in my opinion

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828