over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Kids and weights

jcc80

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm curious at what age you let your kids start lifting weights. My son is almost 9, and he's definitely interested. I have a few sets of bands, and he'll do some curls, chest presses, and a few other various exercises with the resistance bands.

I'm excited for him... I have always been the scrawny hardgainer guy, and he has a very different build than I do. I'd love to see him get into lifting and fitness and get that hardwired at an early age.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I see no trouble with it. Hormonally and physically speaking its been repeatedly shown to benefit children that age. My buddy runs a comprehensive personal fitness and health care facility. Long time bodybuilding devotee who did thing safe and right. His 8 year old boy kid trains with him. Kid shouldn't have any issues as long as you are safe with him.

My son is 12 and I'm just letting him use some weights for curls , lunges and stuff otherwise i keep his training to polymetric , body weight type exercises.

He wants a weight vest so we'll probably get that started after school is over

Great, glad to hear it. We've got a spin bike in our living room, and he already knows that if he wants to watch YouTube videos, he better start pedaling.

My niece is ALMOST 15 and wants to start weight training. shes been doing crossfit and has been injured from it. I finally convinced her to try bb'ing style training. she is down.
my nephew is 16 and also been doing crossfit. he is a naturally SMALL 16 year old. only weighs 120lbs at 16 years old and 5'7"

they both wanna train. the niecce to get lean and lil more muscular and the nephew to put on size.

Think its safe they train to failure on things like presses, squats etc. or at that age maybe not so much to failure?
Nothing has hurt them more than crossfit so i feel all bb'ing style lifting is more controlled and safe especially if i am there to teach em form. I been at it over 20 years...
-F2S

I wish my parents got me into lifting when I was a child

instead of letting me play videogames and get fat

fucking hell

i was lucky. dad owned a large fitness club when i was a kid. it was basically my daycare and then my after school day care til they got off work. local paper did article on us. photo of us all in the weight room on circuit training stuff.

the fitness club eventually went bankrupt. Dad became a financail adviser/stock broker made millions. :)lightbulb:)

good times tho. my mom always said those were happiest times of her life. dad would throw bday parties outside at the big pool and have kegs n someone would always get thrown in the water in their clothes. he put on 5k and 10k races and all... good times. mom taught aerobics for over 25 years... she now does 5k's.... she ran a half marathon 5 years ago at ag 60 i believe....
oops, total tangent down memory lame. my bad.
-F2S

Any older daughter of yours that only date buff guys because she grew up with u adoring your physique??

I remember buying these sand weights from Walmart at 13, and got so much shit from my parents for lifting weights.

Weighed about 90 lbs, and everyone would either made fun of me, or said I'll be a midget for life :rolleyes:

Gotta love a supportive family...

It's awesome that some of you guys are getting your kids and loved ones involved early.

Any older daughter of yours that only date buff guys because she grew up with u adoring your physique??

my girls "uncle michael" is a 270lbs national level bb'er i train. hes the only black guy they know. they think every muscular athlete on tv is him lol too cute. but between him and me, i think they will def be attracted to more powerful physiques. none of this skinny jean shit. not sure i want em dating a juicer either cuz i know how nuts some of us are or were lol.....
i am just their dad tho. and uncle michael their "uncle" so i dont think they think its such a big deal. most concerned with my niece and nephew both who think i am "cool" cuz i was/kinda am muscular and lean and competed. they seem to really think its cool. to my girls its just dad. to them its cool. and now they are wanting me to train them etc. not sure what i will do....def aint teling them about the dark side.
-F2S

I started lifting at 13yo with a background of gymnastics for 7 years prior.

Best thing i ever did, Provided they are taught correct lifting technique from the start, and have the ego of wanting to lift super heavy to impress people stomped out of you from the beginning, you'll be 100% safe and very healthy.

Should be fine, I'd try to avoid heavy weight on their spine to prevent injury. Although chances are not as high due to lighter weight being used, tell me 1 person that has never had an injury in the gym.

So the worst thing that could happen is spine damage at a young age, I knew people that broke their arm/leg/ankle, finger, dislocations and its okay. but spine damage may not be.

U jr. started in 4th grade. Lifting weights and running hills; great father/son activity.

I would say bodyweight stuff whenever they show interest after a few months let them use bands. I'll probably let my sons use weights around 13.

I think the biggest thing is a slow progression because they don't really know how to control their body's like adults.

Hey guys,

I'm curious at what age you let your kids start lifting weights. My son is almost 9, and he's definitely interested. I have a few sets of bands, and he'll do some curls, chest presses, and a few other various exercises with the resistance bands.

I'm excited for him... I have always been the scrawny hardgainer guy, and he has a very different build than I do. I'd love to see him get into lifting and fitness and get that hardwired at an early age.

A general rule of thumb I've seen across the board from conservative orthopedic physicians to athletic trainers is start by mastering your own bodyweight. Push-ups, pull ups, bodyweight exercises basically just master your own body and then progress to adding weights.

A general rule of thumb I've seen across the board from conservative orthopedic physicians to athletic trainers is start by mastering your own bodyweight. Push-ups, pull ups, bodyweight exercises basically just master your own body and then progress to adding weights.
True... This kid can't even do a proper pushup yet... So I have him loop a medium resistance band behind his back and do chest presses in the meantime.

I'm a firm believer kids should just swim and stretch. Best thing ever, zero impact, helps breathing, etc...

Let the joint banging for later, like 15 or 16...

I was 13 when I started .... football makes u hit the iron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i started around 11. Just keep it simple and keep priority on the basics with an emphasis on bodyweight movements. teach how to keep track of the progress, adding a pushup rep each workout...ect...and he'll be hooked.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws