YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Finasteride Side Effects. Are They Reversible?

heman4u

Registered
I learned Finasteride at 1mg/day for hair loss can cause sexual side effects. Some get the sides some don't. My question is just in case I try out Finasteride and if I experience any sides, then discontinue use, are the side effects reversible? Will stopping then further increase hair loss even more?

I do not understand where all this fear of finasteride is coming from...Ive taken it for 10 years haven't had problems. Stick to that dose and you should be fine, if you notice sides get off.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

There was a large lawsuit against a hairloss drug, I forget which one. One of the side effects listed suffered by one, many or all suing was "painful shrinking genitals". After I read that I further became more comfortable with my shaved head and decided I would never use a drug for hairloss.

Not sure which drug this was for but it was for a well know drug of its time. And this was like 5-10 years ago. Just sayin.

I do not understand where all this fear of finasteride is coming from...Ive taken it for 10 years haven't had problems. Stick to that dose and you should be fine, if you notice sides get off.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I've wondered this as well. I believe a lot of the guys complaining about the sides are dealing with psychosomatic issues, not biological. They start taking it and they read about all the 'horrible' stuff that could occur and they freak out. And that leads to performance problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on finasteride years ago and had sexual side effects. I had pretty bad anorgasmia and occasional ED. But I was also on 600mg of DECA and no caber. I never got blood work so I'm not sure which was really the issue. ( the Fina didnt help much at all with hair lose) which ever one caused it, it took avery long time before it went away after I stopped.

^^^FYI, never use finasteride or dutasteride with steroids like deca and npp it will accelerate hairloss.

OP, I have been on .5mg dutasteride for 3.5-4 years and haven't experienced any negative sides (I have been using at least 180mg of test c ew the entire time though). I have never had any ed issues.

I wish I would of started it sooner since it stopped my hair loss. I believe the people who have had negative sides from drugs like finasteride and dutasteride, but it hasnt been my experience. People are more likely to be vocal about a negative experience then a positive one. I think that is why you find so many negative stories about the drugs online.

I know guys who have gyno and ed issues that have never used fina/duta LOL maybe if they used it they would blame it on fina/duta?

Widely used in transgender medicine as a way to mitigate the effects of a males endogenous androgens ..in that population penile shrinkage is actually a real side effect. Granted these patients are generally aiming for reducing t as low as possible and using it alongside spiro and exo estrogen.

Finasteride is weaker then dutasteride, blocking two isofoms vs 3 with dutast. The enzymes that converts testosterone into dht, but also progesterone and corticosterone into their respective metabolites as well as aldosterone. Finasteride will raise test but also estrogen, and can cause loss of libido and depression. If you do encounter these sides It can take quite a while to subside after cessation of the drug. My suggestion is if your considering using it get a doctor on Board.

Last edited:
I've wondered this as well. I believe a lot of the guys complaining about the sides are dealing with psychosomatic issues, not biological. They start taking it and they read about all the 'horrible' stuff that could occur and they freak out. And that leads to performance problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree there might be a psychosomatic part in some cases but not in mine, I was on Dutasteride for a year and got more sides than a fucking dodecahedron, at first it was great since I could feel the effects of the higher testosterone but then came brain fog, terrible mood swings, gyno, my libido left me and hasn´t returned after two months cessation, my dingus looked clearly smaller and had trouble getting up, almost no jizz, weight gain that I´m terribly struggling to lose...but I put up with it to try and save my hair and a year later it hasn´t helped so bye bye Dut.

To the OP I´d say try it, if it works and you have no sides you´ll be happy you did, if you don´t try it you´ll always think you should have if your hair loss continues. If sides come around and that is a BIG IF then it´s up to you to weigh the pros vs cons or you could look at topical anti androgens such as RU58841 which seem to be less severe side wise.

It's impossible to answer your question without knowing which side effect you are referring to.

It's impossible to answer your question without knowing which side effect you are referring to.

I have clearly mentioned sexual side effects which means all of the possible ones. I guess all the experts know which all sexual side effects are possible from Finasteride. Please share whatever knowledge you have regarding the same.

I have clearly mentioned sexual side effects which means all of the possible ones. I guess all the experts know which all sexual side effects are possible from Finasteride. Please share whatever knowledge you have regarding the same.

sorry friend, seems you are frustrated, just wanted to be clear before responding

sexual side effects should resolve after discontinuing the medication

hope that helps

sorry friend, seems you are frustrated, just wanted to be clear before responding

sexual side effects should resolve after discontinuing the medication

hope that helps

That's not necessarily true quite a blanket statement, is that your personal experience?

That's not necessarily true quite a blanket statement, is that your personal experience?

Respectfully, I'd rather not say. I feel that most professional clinicians would say the same. In all things, there are outliers, and and advice without an extensive history and physical can be inaccurate.

Here's what I hope is perceived as an impartial link, found by cursory google search, to expand on my opinion. I think it's highly relevant to the discusssion.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481923/

Several studies have shown its safety over long duration of administration. The dosage given (1 mg) is small and unlikely to cause side effects. Even in those cases where side effects were reported, the changes were found to be reversible.

The role of nocebo effect in the causation of ED due to finasteride has been investigated. Nocebo effect refers to an adverse effect that results from the psychological awareness of the possibility of the side effects, but is not a direct result of the specific pharmacological action of the drug. In this study, the group informed about the sexual adverse effects of finasteride reported increased incidence of ED, when compared to the group without information. The side effects were completely[*] reversible in 5 days when the medicine was discontinued, confirming that nocebo effect has an influence in causation of side effects and suggesting the role of psychological factors.
*[please note the use of the word "completely", in addition to the specific duration one would expect]

Respectfully, I'd rather not say. I feel that most professional clinicians would say the same. In all things, there are outliers, and and advice without an extensive history and physical can be inaccurate.

Here's what I hope is perceived as an impartial link, found by cursory google search, to expand on my opinion. I think it's highly relevant to the discusssion.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481923/

*[please note the use of the word "completely", in addition to the specific duration one would expect]

Thank You for sharing that great article :yeahthat:

This article was published a few months ago. IMO, it supersedes previous publications.

It gives very clear and detailed short-term and long-term effects of 5-ARi's. The researchers were looking at individual genomic mapping of their AR, CAG repeats and GGN distribution.

This basically describes the individualization relationship some may experience sexual side effects long-term.

To deem the unconscious mind is to blame; I think not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5302381/

Median age was 32 years, duration of finasteride use was 360 days, and time from finasteride discontinuation was 1,053 days. We observed several frequency differences in symptoms according to (CAG)n and (GGN)n repeat numbers. Three AMS items were worse for medium (GGN)23 than for long (GGN)>23 carriers and one item was worse for short (GGN)<23 carriers. The AMS item for decrease in sexual desire or libido was worse for short (CAG)9–19 carriers than for medium (CAG)20–24 carriers.

Last edited:
This basically describes the individualization relationship some may experience sexual side effects long-term.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5302381/

That's actually very cool. A really well directed approach for people suffering from PFS, since previous meta-analysis found that the data was faulty in several ways. Someday all medications/modalities will be genetically determined, like the test they have for the "right" SSRI now. The study design is pretty limited for my taste, 66 white males answering a questionnaire, what do you make of it?

I've seen a few studies over the years on jcem examining the pfs sufferers and they were unable to find biomarkers that clearly explained the symptomes. When the cause is unidentifiable, the second best option is to just ask the patient. The DNA was examined. Strange they only chose white men. Good find Stewie, I was wondering how I missed this on jcem , I'm religious on reading every publication, and alas! It was not published there !

I noticed this, as well. I can only speculate the reasoning could be multifactorial. Possibly being more specific to ethnic variation of allele distribution of the AR and CAG repeats, as observed by Christnine M. Ackerman, et al (2013 Nov 19).

Agree too, the population base was small. I do believe there will (should) be larger/further observational studies between different ethnic groups. Or so I would suspect.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members