over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Legs and volume

juggy38

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
If you are hitting legs E4D, what kind of volume would you do?

I've been doing this

Leg ext...15 reps ramping up till 1 top set of failure (3-4 sets total)

Hacks: 4 sets 10, all moderately tough, last set cant get another

Single leg Split squat holding DB 1 set to failure (20-30 reps)

Leg curls: 1 rest pause set D.C. Style

SLDL : 3x10

Too much? Not enough?

Very individual dependant. Are you seeing new growth? Are you recovered by that fourth day? Feel like you put them to work after a session like that?

Very individual dependant. Are you seeing new growth? Are you recovered by that fourth day? Feel like you put them to work after a session like that?

This - frequency and volume all depend on your ability to recover (diet, rest, etc) If your CNS is taxed you're over doing it.

How is working so far? Strength going up? Lingering soreness? Give some more info so we can steer you in the right direction

Rep for mygearguru

Visit mygearguru.com for discounts on all your aas and hgh needs!

This is week two of this....legs not crazy sore but fatigued the next day.

My legs respond better to heavy loads. I usually do heavy squats, leg presses, and calf raises, then moderate extensions, curls, etc. Usually do some drop sets on the last set of extensions and curls to increase volume and stretch the fascia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I've been doing this

Too much? Not enough?

There are 101 variables so we can't say if it's too much or not enough. No fixed number of sets/volume works for every person. If you are not getting the results you want the simple answer is to change things. Do you train calves?

I usually train all my legs once weekly. But I will also do hams and quads with upper body through the week too. I train calves pretty much every day I am in the gym. My calves are really responding well (for me) to 40-20 reps and approx 10-15 mins per day.

I could spend 10 mins to 2 1/2 hours on legs so it varies. Although when training all my legs it's usually 40 mins to 150 mins. That will depend upon my current feeling, goals, diet, what I have planned the next day etc etc. You would laugh if you saw what I done the other night for legs... your workout above x5. Although in general terms I think lower volume and higher frequency works best.

I find limbs (legs and arms) generally respond best to higher reps. But that doesn't mean low weight... as heavy as possible. Don't have a set number of reps in mind for your workign sets and truly go to failure when you can. Try some new things such as high reps (25+) really focusing on form and feeling the muscle work for every rep. Don't just try and get to the rep number... fail when you truly fail.

Rotate things but I like to do calves, hams and quads in that order. Add things like ab/adductors too for overall development.

Volume is not that important as long as when you are in the gym you effectively work the target muscle and truly go to failure using progressive resistance over time. Although most of the guys I know with freaky legs really destroy them with very high volume. So try higher volume and then try lower volume in the future... mix it up.

Last edited:
I truly believe in periodization. I start a mesocycle with relative low volume, and typically add 1 set per exercise for the following 4-8 weeks (depending on how quickly CNS fatigue accumulates) and then back off with a deload, rinse, and repeat. I've found this to work best for me.

There are 101 variables so we can't say if it's too much or not enough. No fixed number of sets/volume works for every person. If you are not getting the results you want the simple answer is to change things. Do you train calves?

I usually train all my legs once weekly. But I will also do hams and quads with upper body through the week too. I train calves pretty much every day I am in the gym. My calves are really responding well (for me) to 40-20 reps and approx 10-15 mins per day.

I could spend 10 mins to 2 1/2 hours on legs so it varies. Although when training all my legs it's usually 40 mins to 150 mins. That will depend upon my current feeling, goals, diet, what I have planned the next day etc etc. You would laugh if you saw what I done the other night for legs... your workout above x5. Although in general terms I think lower volume and higher frequency works best.

I find limbs (legs and arms) generally respond best to higher reps. But that doesn't mean low weight... as heavy as possible. Don't have a set number of reps in mind for your workign sets and truly go to failure when you can. Try some new things such as high reps (25+) really focusing on form and feeling the muscle work for every rep. Don't just try and get to the rep number... fail when you truly fail.

Rotate things but I like to do calves, hams and quads in that order. Add things like ab/adductors too for overall development.

Volume is not that important as long as when you are in the gym you effectively work the target muscle and truly go to failure using progressive resistance over time. Although most of the guys I know with freaky legs really destroy them with very high volume. So try higher volume and then try lower volume in the future... mix it up.

I actually train calves 3-4x a week on upper days.

I'll try higher rep stuff, mostly 15 reps for legs. I'll try a day of 20-30 reps

my legs growth very well with low reps (2-5), very heavy, my prefer ex is squat, every 3 weeks i do a pump workout where i use very high reps

I think what Elvia said was spot on...

My leg growth really stagnated until I started doing higher rep ranges, 15+ reps, with as heavy weight as possible while maintaining good form.

I also found that after my legs are nice and warmed up, that stretching between sets seems to aid my ability to recover from the workouts and maybe help facilitate some new growth as well.

I actually train calves 3-4x a week on upper days.

I'll try higher rep stuff, mostly 15 reps for legs. I'll try a day of 20-30 reps

Good stuff. Obviously there is a place for very low reps and heavy weight too. Some guys have to be extra careful and my days of squatting 3-5 reps have long gone :eek:

I want to add though it's not just about higher reps. Some guys say ok I will do 30 reps and bang 30 out just thinking about getting to 30. I know you know all of this but the form and each rep is everything. Also high reps to me can be a weight that you are failing on 20 but you manage to get 30 with it. If that means rest pausing till you get to 30 then do that. Generally I do about 15 reps for legs but play about. I think the higher reps will be good for you... a nice change and shock to the system :D

I am off to train back now :)

I've been doing this

Too much? Not enough?
pre-exhaust makes the legs explode in size

leg extension to failure then immediately proceed to
leg press to failure then immediately proceed to
Smith Squats front or back
repeat for 3-4 cycles and go up in weight each time.
Be careful with the low back during the squats because at each movement you are recruiting more quads then hips glutes and low back kick in to destroy the quads.

Hams are easy
leg curls seated or lying are best and always throw in either stiffs or good mornings - functional part of hams to "throw the hips back"

calves are seated and standing and calf presses

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc