over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Frequency / soreness

Marvin Martian

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Kid at the gym asked me how often he should train each bodypart and wanted to know if it was ok to train a bodypart again if it still was a little sore.
I told him I trained once a week for the first 15 years or so but now try to hit each bodypart twice a week.
But I want other opinions on this. Do you ever train a body-part while it still is a little tender? If not then how long after you no longer feel sore?
I have been training one heavy day and one more of a "pump / blood volume" on most body parts.
I know this is a very individual thing but just like to hear opinions from others smarter than me.

Since I got started up again about 2 years ago I've been doing 1 body part a week. The only time I get away from that is with legs. Especially now since my shoulder issue I've already started doing legs twice a week. I think if he is young he can recover quicker and be able to handle a body part twice a week unless he's killing that body part each time. My buddy is in his mid 20s and he does 2 a days 5xs a week. I know I couldn't even attempt that unless I was doing cardio for my 2nd visit.😜

I have been doing 3 days on 1 off followed by 3 days on 2 off. Enjoying this ...

i do once a week per muscle but i dont get sore unless i change rep range.
if i switch from 12-14 reps to 6-8 i can be in pain for 2-3 days. but the next workout wont do shit for soreness.
i can do 6 weeks or 4 weeks or whatnot, add weight every week and feel nada. but,
when i go back to high reps im in pain again for 2-3 days. pain, not soreness.
after that first week going high reps i wont feel pain or soreness again.
til i switch back. i could even do 2 weeks high, 2 weeks low and that would get me sore and ive even done high and low rep back to back and been sore every time but only for a day.

. . . and wanted to know if it was ok to train a bodypart again if it still was a little sore.

. . . but now try to hit each bodypart twice a week.
Soreness and frequency are definitely related. And like you, I hit each muscle at least 2X/week, and I ALMOST never get sore. Every now and then I'll do something totally different, like even though I typically front squat, I'll do a Steve Reeves Challenge (100 reps in one back squat set of 1/2*BW--brutal!), and even though it's using essentially the same muscles as the front squat, I will be sore . . . even sore 3 days later when I work legs again, but I WILL work my legs again.

You refer to him as a "kid," I question if his soreness isn't caused by inconsistent workouts (getting to the frequency issue).

Soreness and frequency are definitely related. And like you, I hit each muscle at least 2X/week, and I ALMOST never get sore. Every now and then I'll do something totally different, like even though I typically front squat, I'll do a Steve Reeves Challenge (100 reps in one back squat set of 1/2*BW--brutal!), and even though it's using essentially the same muscles as the front squat, I will be sore . . . even sore 3 days later when I work legs again, but I WILL work my legs again.

You refer to him as a "kid," I question if his soreness isn't caused by inconsistent workouts (getting to the frequency issue).

You answered my question (don't think I stated it well). I was wondering what the felt about training a muscle that was still a little sore. Not "tender to touch sore" - just where you can "sure nuff tell it's been trained recently sore".

Low volume 4 ,6 sets. High frequentcy 2x3 week

My first year of traing I trained everything twice a week and was always sore. But put on about 20 lbs of muscle in the process. The second year I trained 4 days on and one off, with everything being hit in 4 days. And put on almost 15 lbs.

I used to be a low volume/high frequency guy. Once I added HGH into the mix, my recovery has gone through the roof - I have been training high frequency/high volume, and I love it. Works for me, may not work for you :cool:

Common sense would tell you a sore muscle is still repairing itself.
Lifting again with these same muscle will only keep it in a state or repair.
You only grow as the muscle fully heals and over compensates from its last bout
Wait till there is no soreness +1 day for growth minimum. imo

I state this a lot as people think I lift everyday.
I lift 1-3 days a week.
Growth takes place at Rest!!!!

Lifting again with these same muscle will only keep it in a state or repair.
You only grow as the muscle fully heals and over compensates from its last bout
Wait till there is no soreness +1 day for growth minimum. imo

I state this a lot as people think I lift everyday.
I lift 1-3 days a week.
Growth takes place at Rest!!!!

:yeahthat:

Training while you're still sore from a recent workout is certainly the best way to NOT grow. Most people train way too much IMO... combined with lack of food, they are the two main reasons you don't see many make significant progresses. :eek:

:yeahthat:

Training while you're still sore from a recent workout is certainly the best way to NOT grow. Most people train way too much IMO... combined with lack of food, they are the two main reasons you don't see many make significant progresses. :eek:

A lot depends too on the rest you get outside of the gym my first job out of college was in industrial micro production - a lot of strenuous work with large equipment and moving 1,000 liter tanks around, after 3 years I got another job as a supervisor in industrial vaccine production - i basically sat on my ass for 8 hours a day and within 2 months gained 12 solid pounds without a single change in diet or cycling and taught me the important lesson of work stress and gains.
Over the years my gains were in proportion to controlling catabolism the stronger and bigger I got the less sets I did and I directly attributed that more than juice and diet than any other aspect of the game.

My best gains were made training a body part 2-3 times a week short sessions heavy and close to failure but not past failure.

Now after 25 years of training aging has really knocked my recoup levels down and I Train EOD with cardio on days off - HIT cardio and walks around the neighborhood hitting the hills and fast pace to burn cals and get HR up.

You're right. It is repairing itself, but this is where the difference between single factor and dual factor theories differ. Single factor says you should wait for it to fully recover:
**broken link removed**

Dual theory says you can work it again causing an even further dip into your fatigue but at some point you must deload to then fully take advantage of the supercompensation:
basic-concepts-of-training-theory-23-638.jpg

Both approaches work. Which is optimal? Not sure.

oh I love when the charts and graphs come out.......

:cool:

Looks good on paper, but is there a graph to show how it taxes your central nervous system.?
During my construction season I can look and feel my best on once a week workouts. Anymore I can sometimes even feel the shutdown.

Looks good on paper, but is there a graph to show how it taxes your central nervous system.?
During my construction season I can look and feel my best on once a week workouts. Anymore I can sometimes even feel the shutdown.

I think that is spot on. CNS stress is hard to quantify

I think that is spot on. CNS stress is hard to quantify

CNS stress is accounted for here, it falls under FATIGUE ... muscle soreness does not have anything to do with fatigue... mostly because soreness is not accumulated .... funnily enough bodybuilders don't even realize it that they mostly train under the principles of the one factor theory ... whereas high level athletes train using programs built around the 2 factor theory.

I don't think it's as much about body part frequency as specific exercise frequency. I can do hyper back extensions or lat pull downs every other day without impacting my performance. However, deadlifts and barbell bent over rows might need 5-7 days rest.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

whereas high level athletes train using programs built around the 2 factor theory.
Think about the male gymnasts. You know they're working out almost daily and they've all got bigger than normal arms and lats.

Concreter, couldn't some of this apply to manual labor? You work . . . ahem, "workout," 5 days a week and hopefully recover on weekends, but the guys who use their arms at their jobs have bigger arms, and the guys who use their legs at their jobs, have bigger legs.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear