over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Carbohydrate Refeeds while cutting

M@NU

Registered
Hey guys,
I am currently cutting while using a "Very low Carb Approach"
275g protein
40g Fats
25-30g Carbs from Veggies (only fibrous carbs)

You might be shocked about the deficit i run. I do this on purpose.
I "lean bulk" (or whatever you would call it) for 12 weeks, then i extreme cut for 6 weeks. Reasons for me:
-Stay lean year round.
-Bring up Insulin Sensitivity with the very low carb cutting cycle for the upcoming lean bulk cycle.

Now my question:
Would it be useful to incorporate a REFEED ( no cheat!! ) every 2 weeks?
Bodyfat right now is 10% (well, between 9 and 10 according to gym owners caliper measurement) if this is an important info..
I am talking about 1 refeed every 2 weeks, macros around 400-500g carbs, 200g prot, trace fats.
Additional informations:
- more or less natural (I use MK677)
- I do not need a Refeed for psychological reasons!!! I can stick to my diet for
the whole 6 weeks, would be no problem. Question is if a Refeed is useful from a physiological standpoint.
training 6 times a week, 3x LIss 30-45min, 2x Hiit 14-20min per week

thanks for your help guys!

It won't hurt and you'll restore glycogen. But you're only cutting for 6 weeks. that goes by fast

it can help with glycogen loading for better workouts, and a mental break, but that's about it. 6 weeks of dieting, if it were me, I'd just hit it hard. "embrace the darkness" (of the diet), as Mike Israetel would say.

I did weekly refeeds in the past on a hard cut, and all it did was cause bad cravings, and cause me to lose control on those refeed days and stall my diet. One day refeed does little physiologically as far as correcting metabolic issues. That's what diet breaks are for :D

I personally think high carb refeeds are great... A lot of big name coaches incorporate this as well.. .usually weekly. I think it works great for fullness and dropping weight more consistently. However, I don't think it is needed at the beginning of a diet. Also, big difference between a high carb refeed and a "cheat meal". People like to equate the two but they seem to have much different results.

it can help with glycogen loading for better workouts, and a mental break, but that's about it. 6 weeks of dieting, if it were me, I'd just hit it hard. "embrace the darkness" (of the diet), as Mike Israetel would say.

I did weekly refeeds in the past on a hard cut, and all it did was cause bad cravings, and cause me to lose control on those refeed days and stall my diet. One day refeed does little physiologically as far as correcting metabolic issues. That's what diet breaks are for :D

I find that if you incorporate "cleaner" carbs for your refeed.. those cravings are not nearly as bad. When you sub in sweets etc for your extra carbs.... that's when your cravings get bad. Stick to rice, potatoes etc... you're usually good.

Hey guys,
I am currently cutting while using a "Very low Carb Approach"
275g protein
40g Fats
25-30g Carbs from Veggies (only fibrous carbs)

You might be shocked about the deficit i run. I do this on purpose.
I "lean bulk" (or whatever you would call it) for 12 weeks, then i extreme cut for 6 weeks. Reasons for me:
-Stay lean year round.
-Bring up Insulin Sensitivity with the very low carb cutting cycle for the upcoming lean bulk cycle.

Now my question:
Would it be useful to incorporate a REFEED ( no cheat!! ) every 2 weeks?
Bodyfat right now is 10% (well, between 9 and 10 according to gym owners caliper measurement) if this is an important info..
I am talking about 1 refeed every 2 weeks, macros around 400-500g carbs, 200g prot, trace fats.
Additional informations:
- more or less natural (I use MK677)
- I do not need a Refeed for psychological reasons!!! I can stick to my diet for
the whole 6 weeks, would be no problem. Question is if a Refeed is useful from a physiological standpoint.
training 6 times a week, 3x LIss 30-45min, 2x Hiit 14-20min per week

thanks for your help guys!
yes please reefeed!!! You have given your body no fuel substrate, fat is too low to produce amount of ketones you need to fuel your body, carbs are too low to keep up with glycogen demands so guess what probably happening with some of that precious protein your are over consuming? Yep its helping make up that ENERGY demand.

Clean refeeds put on heavy training days always helped me. But I would only do like 200g twice a week. The one day a week refeeds with 400-500g carbs always started well, but then turned into burgers, tacos, or icecream.

Mentally adding a sweet potato or sticky rice 2x a week was a treat but keeps me in the diet mode mentality. The other way I'd say "fuck it" free for all food fest.

yes please reefeed!!! You have given your body no fuel substrate, fat is too low to produce amount of ketones you need to fuel your body, carbs are too low to keep up with glycogen demands so guess what probably happening with some of that precious protein your are over consuming? Yep its helping make up that ENERGY demand.

b-boy if I may ask, what's your reffed look like and how often?

thanks.

thanks for all the answers guys.
Im coming back from the gym without having read your comments.
I have decided to make a depletion whole body workout and refeed now.
Carb-wise, i have made my mind. I will eat:
500g Gnocchi - 152g carbs, 1,5g fats
200g kidney beans - 30g carbs, 1,4g fats
150g corn flakes (no sugary flakes, just plain ones mixed in water+whey)
some rice cakes

round about 400g carbs, 200g prot and 24f fats for the refeed.

b-boy if I may ask, what's your reffed look like and how often?

thanks.
I don't really refeed, I give my body plenty of fat to run on, I will eat more on some days and eat less on others, depending on how hungry I am, decided to not do a show this year and just really focus on eating when hungry (when an anabolic signal is given).

I don't really refeed, I give my body plenty of fat to run on, I will eat more on some days and eat less on others, depending on how hungry I am, decided to not do a show this year and just really focus on eating when hungry (when an anabolic signal is given).

Please could you give an example day's diet, am interested in your fat sources in particular.

Is this within an IF window or literally eat when hungry at any time?

Damn. No more skiploading?

with a diet that low on calories, my body would freakout by the tenth day and start hoarding fat. I wouldn't keep losing fat unless i kept a clean high carb day in 1-2 times a week.that diet, for 6 weeks straight will result in no progress week 4-6 for me

Thanks for the intel pal.

Are you fasting as well?

I thought I read a thread you did/are

with a diet that low on calories, my body would freakout by the tenth day and start hoarding fat. I wouldn't keep losing fat unless i kept a clean high carb day in 1-2 times a week.that diet, for 6 weeks straight will result in no progress week 4-6 for me
yeah, there are big individual differences in kcal requirement..
I have a very sedentary job/lifestyle apart from working out and cardio regime.
I was very chubby as a kid until i was 19-20 years old and changed my life.
lived of soda and chips..
I guess the fat kid genes are still with me, thats why i have to kill myself to hold below 10% bf..

I was going through this myself and even did a search... I'm currently prepping for a show, well, kind of, admittedly i'm doing this halfassed, only getting in the gym 2-3 times a week, didn't go it yesterday and cheated with chocolate and candy twice this week alone... The beginning of my diet was good, but then I was told to keep my carbs low, I did it easily, had only broccoli and spinach, ate pickles to kill my appetite, then I went to work from my computer, I noticed that I was feeling like total shit, light headed, I honestly thought that I was going to pass out, it was horrible, I felt dizzy and just faint like never before... I looked up the symptoms and I realized that I was going hypo! So I immediately ate some carbs, then I had more chocolate that I had the night before, which I stole from my kid's secret stash, well, I felt instantly better! felt like a million bucks and got back to work, then I looked in the mirror and was noticeably harder, the next day I also woke up harder and more dry...

I really think it depends on the person, if I don't train I get fat... but before I ever touched a weight I was very skinny, to the point that I looked sickly I boxed at 119lbs at 5'10 as a 16 year old! my wrists and biceps almost looked the same size... so I think that when my bodyfat is lower, a day or two, or even sometimes every night, I need to add some carbs to keep functioning, but this is now that i'm pretty lean, up to this point I was strict as hell, never even tempted to cheat...

Yes I fast at least 16 hours almost daily, I may have not fasted probably 3 times in the last 4 months.
A day of eating for me is.

Meal 1. 5 whole eggs scrambled in 1 tbls. Of coconut oil. 35 grams of cheddar cheese, 1 can of sardines in water, 1-2 cups of brocolli or Brussel sprouts

Meal 2. A large shake....2 cups of unsweetened almond milk, 2 scoops of whey isolate, 60 grams of kale, 1 tbls of olive oil. And eat 2 ounces of almonds or walnuts with it.

Meal 3. 8 oz of grass fed beef, a salad of mixed greens, 2 tbls of Chipotle flavored olive oil, 40 grams of cheddar cheese. 1 ounce of pistachios on the side.

On workout days I will have 1/2 cup unsweetened Greek yogurt with 2 tbls of syraplex advanced protein syrup pre workout.

This is a basic day, some days is more and some days may be only one huge meal, it depends on how hungry I am.

Im strict keto and then heave a weekly or biweekly carb up.

Ages ago when I was doing macros like you're doing and not keto I did better by having a cheat meal and not a full blown carb up. Nothing crazy. I used to eat a small pizza every Saturday night and worked wonders.

These days its always keto and then a ton of carbs, any kind just No fructose and LOW FAT and also works wonders.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Im strict keto and then heave a weekly or biweekly carb up.

Ages ago when I was doing macros like you're doing and not keto I did better by having a cheat meal and not a full blown carb up. Nothing crazy. I used to eat a small pizza every Saturday night and worked wonders.

These days its always keto and then a ton of carbs, any kind just No fructose and LOW FAT and also works wonders.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Hey bro!
ok, thanks for your opinion! :)
do you think your modified Keto macros (~50% kcals from Prot, ~50% kcals from fats) would work better for cutting down?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws