over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tom Platz Seminar 2017

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1EG-FaNt8o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1EG-FaNt8o[/ame]

What a legend. The intensity, and the passion is still there after 40 years. Every once in a while you come across someone with a spark that sends shivers down your spine. Tom is one of those people.

I agree with everything he said.....

:cool:

Wow that video went in a totally different direction then I thought it was going. Love his intensity. LOL at him bringing his Olympic bar :headbang:

I agree with everything he said.....

:cool:

Agreed.

And I like the point he made about ankle flexibility (his is exceptional
by his own admission) and the taking into consideration the biomechanics
of each individual and how to accommodate. Smart.

The only thing I would take issue with is his speed of movement (fast)
doing leg extensions. Seems crazy to me, but hey . . . what do I know.
He has the legs and I don’t though I doubt adopting his ‘style’ on this
exercise would make would make a damn bit of difference for me.

Question . . . anybody here tried or have a pair of wooden soled
squatting shoes? I have ever heard of or seen them before.

A lot of the old school power lifting raised shoes had wooden soles. You wont find many today. My Dad/uncle has a few old school pairs from Adidas and they're wooden.

I current use Romaelo's might try the new Reebok Legacy or Adipowers by Adidas. They're pricey, but last years.

Great vid. I also wouldnt try leg extensions that way. Dont a lot of PT's/Dr.'s recomend avoiding leg extensions and are the cause of a lot of knee issues, not the deathly squat. :D

Thanks for the wooden shoe info. Not that locating and using a pair would elevate my
legs above mediocre status :(

. . .
Dont a lot of PT's/Dr.'s recomend avoiding leg extensions and are the cause of a lot of knee issues, not the deathly squat. :D

And as far as leg extensions are concerned, it is my opinion and the opinion of others
(I knew the world’s foremost authority, a surgeon of knees and backs, and who invented
the knee brace as it is now known) that the leg extension, properly performed, has saved
more knees than it has destroyed.

Now . . . the ‘deadly’ squat does have a reputation of destroying knees and, but again,
properly performed (think weight and reps), it has rehabilitated, saved more knees than
it has destroyed. As a piece of anecdotal ‘evidence’ . . . having spent no small amount
of time in so called third world countries, wherein these countries people, young and
old, are accustomed to spending large amounts of time in a full squat position, either
working, waiting for a bus, etc., and the incidence of knee problems there is, dare I say,
rare. And if you think about babies, once they learn to walk, will instinctively squat to
pick something off the floor, will not bend over like most of us do. I don’t know at what
age we lose that, but we do. Squatting is good for healthy knees, the key word is
‘healthy.’ Not knees that have been destroyed by far too much weight. Even Tom in his
video advocated 50 rep squats and that leg size is largely the result of high reps and to
be fair, heavy weights, but if I can but words in his mouth, heavy weights developed
as a function of, though, high repetitions.

If you look at the bodybuilders of past, many if not most have knee and hips issues
as a result of heavy, low repetition squats and have had or will have full knee and
hip replacement surgery. Tom Platz seems to have skirted this problem or it has
not manifested itself at his 60+ years of age but those explosive, fast repetition
legs extensions still make me cringe. He must have knees of steel or his perfectly
performed squats have guarded against this. I don’t know. More time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
I met Tom Platz last year at the Olympia in Vegas. My friend and I (and our wives) waited in line to say hi and take a pic with him. I thought it would be a super quick, "hi, nice to meet ya--bye." But he asked me if I was going to train that day and when I said yes, he engaged me in a conversation about my training that lasted a good 3-4 minutes. I left feeling very impressed by his sincerity, passion, and overall genuine-ness. Class act in my book. You're one of the good ones, Mr. Platz.

I met Tom Platz last year at the Olympia in Vegas. My friend and I (and our wives) waited in line to say hi and take a pic with him. I thought it would be a super quick, "hi, nice to meet ya--bye." But he asked me if I was going to train that day and when I said yes, he engaged me in a conversation about my training that lasted a good 3-4 minutes. I left feeling very impressed by his sincerity, passion, and overall genuine-ness. Class act in my book. You're one of the good ones, Mr. Platz.
I net him at the O a few years ago.
He was just hanging out, no line or anything.

BS'd with him for about twenty minutes. He was the last of my early year idols to meet.

Others being Robby and Gaspari

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member