over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Poor squat mechanics?

jcc80

Registered
Hey guys, I figure this probably goes in the beginner's forum. I've been plagued with a VERY weak squat for the entire time I've been lifting. For example, my best deadlift is 505, but my best squat ever has been 335, barely hitting parallel.

I've always had terrible flexibility. I've never been able to touch my toes with my legs straight. Ever. Not even as a kid. I also have scoliosis, which I'm not sure if that contributes to the problem or not.

I kind of suspect it's a hip flexibility issue? Are there any particular stretches/exercises I can perform to help with this? I tend to AVOID squats because I'm embarrassed about the weight I use for my working sets, but I know that has to be counter productive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do you have any video something like this would need to be veiwed to provide proper feedback

200lbs is always 200lbs

I was thinking someone might ask that. I'll try to get my wife to record me. Figures, I just did my squats this morning.

You should swim and do yoga. Perfect for what your desiring

what kinda stance you use...????

ive worked with very rigid guys with flexability issues..

its all in the hips.....

Wide stance feels easiest unless going ATG. All positions feel 'tight'... Even warming up with the bar feels unnatural. Strangely, the way I 'learned' to hit parallel was with zercher squats.

Any thoughts on effective hip flexor work I can do? I have, for the first time ever, made a point of doing nightly stretching and foam rolling. At 37, I suppose I better get in that habit NOW.

Any thoughts on effective hip flexor work I can do? I have, for the first time ever, made a point of doing nightly stretching and foam rolling. At 37, I suppose I better get in that habit NOW.

Check out the YouTube vids from: smashwerx. I thinks he's very good...

I have the same problem. I cannot squat to save my life. My trainer gets really worried when he watches me. Says my ankles turn in. My knees also do. My bench is so much higher than my squat. I cannot develop my legs at all. I have tried calf stretches, hip flexor stretches, etc... I don't know where to go from here.

Try box squats for about 8 weeks doing 5x5 routine just below parallel. Do a few light warm up sets first on leg press to get the blood flowing and to get the joints warmed up.

I have the same problem. I cannot squat to save my life. My trainer gets really worried when he watches me. Says my ankles turn in. My knees also do. My bench is so much higher than my squat. I cannot develop my legs at all. I have tried calf stretches, hip flexor stretches, etc... I don't know where to go from here.

how tall are you...??

long femur bones can prevent proper form...

I would hack squatting my ass off....takes the balance right out...

how tall are you...??

long femur bones can prevent proper form...

I would hack squatting my ass off....takes the balance right out...

I am 6' tall. 34" inseam. My trainer is trying to strengthen my ankles. Says the outer part of my shin/calve area is weak and that is what causes it? I will try the hack squats though.

The box squat will force you to use proper technique! Just try it.

The box squat will force you to use proper technique! Just try it.

Just like he's saying box squats, and try to sit back on to the box not sit down on the box (I hope that make sense). Basically good squat form should be head up looking towards the ceiling, ass back like your sitting an imaginary seat, you should feel most of the weight on your hips if you're doing it right, and try to push your heels through the floor. But a video would help a lot ......

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear