over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Partial Achilles Tear

MikeS

Moderator / FOUNDING Member
Staff member
Registered
Hey bros,
Had a mishap in the gym last Thursday. Doing calves, I felt my Achilles snap and knew it wasn't good. Limped away and left the gym. Had it taped up in urgent care until I could see the ortheped Dr today. I'm having no pain walking with a bad limp, can press with the ball of my foot a little, have stiffness but descent mobility in ankle plantal/dorsal/abduct/adduct. Some bruising and swelling, not bad. So I know its not a complete rupture. No surgery necessary.
I go to a Dr who works with the MD Terps, but I don't feel he diagnosed me carefully. He is asking the same treatment as a full rupture, huge bulky boot and crutches 24hr for 6wks. Could have surgery as an option.
Zero pain unless I were to do one leg calf raises with bodyweight.

Any opinions?

Hang in there, my friend!

Hey bros,
Had a mishap in the gym last Thursday. Doing calves, I felt my Achilles snap and knew it wasn't good. Limped away and left the gym. Had it taped up in urgent care until I could see the ortheped Dr today. I'm having no pain walking with a bad limp, can press with the ball of my foot a little, have stiffness but descent mobility in ankle plantal/dorsal/abduct/adduct. Some bruising and swelling, not bad. So I know its not a complete rupture. No surgery necessary.
I go to a Dr who works with the MD Terps, but I don't feel he diagnosed me carefully. He is asking the same treatment as a full rupture, huge bulky boot and crutches 24hr for 6wks. Could have surgery as an option.

Any opinions?
Injuries suck!

I just know it sucks getting injuries when you are older. Take twice as long to heal. :eek:

what movement were you doing exactly...???

Mike, I can't help any, but sorry for the inury, brother:(

Hope all has been well though.

I agree with everybody else though...injuries effin' SUCK!:banghead::cool:

Hey bros,

Any opinions?

Depending on the extent of the tear, non-surgical treatment may very well do the job. I would get an MRI and x-ray to get a better idea of the location and what all is involved with the tear.

Then, there are things like PRP and taping that can accelerate the healing process as well as I would recommend physical therapy with a therapist that works with athletes and knows how to push the limits while at the same time being cautious.

Hey bros,

Any opinions?

I fully ruptured both of my achilles tendons two years apart. It's probably hard to believe but I didn't have surgery on either one. You should be ok without surgery on a partial tear. I would recommend staying off of it and going into a boot immediately. This helps prevent possibly making it worse and helps to start the recovery. I would start on BPC 157 immediately. I used it on my second rupture. my recovery was much better and I didn't lose as much of my calf as the first rupture. Both times I ruptured my achilles I was going very heavy on calves the day before. My achilles are ok today but I'm not that active besides lifting. The injury did destroy my calves. I had great calves before but I have not been able to get them anywhere close to what they used to look like.

Hey bros,

Any opinions?

If you have any specific questions on what I did feel free to ask. I Would also research "achilles rupture non surgical" and "bpc 157 achilles rupture". Not sure what new information might be out there now. My last rupture 2.5 years ago.

I would have an MRI before calling it a partial rupture. I suffered a full rupture of my left achilles twice. After the second rupture the MD and I thought it may be a partial because I could press my bodyweight with that leg. It was my FHL compensating.

Get imaging, Ultrasound or MRI. You want to exactly know how bad the damage is. Once you get an idea of how bad the tear is, you can seek a second opinion on your own.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
Pesty, gonna slam the blacktops! Thanks too Jethro, my old buddy.
Tenny, was doing seated calf extensions on the cybex. nothing I haven't done a billion times. I switched foot positions in the middle of the set and bam! My fault.
They Dr didn't even offer to do an ultrasound or MRI, even after I asked.
He didn't seem to want to differentiate the injury from a complete rupture.
So the treatment was severe and life limiting. cant do it.

I decided to take another opinion. A friend of me and my wife has been in the ortho field for 40yrs. He spent the whole day calling all of his expert associates. One guy is one of the orthos for the TampaBay Bucs. Also experts in foot and ankle field. I will wear the huge boot during sleep for 2wks. Use hot/cold treatment for 2wks. Will ortho specific use wedges in shoes. Going to wrap area with ACE bandage.

I'm being careful not to walk on my toes with the bad leg. But no pain.

Thanks again all, for your feedback :headbang:

Last edited:
Depending on the extent of the tear, non-surgical treatment may very well do the job. I would get an MRI and x-ray to get a better idea of the location and what all is involved with the tear.

Then, there are things like PRP and taping that can accelerate the healing process as well as I would recommend physical therapy with a therapist that works with athletes and knows how to push the limits while at the same time being cautious.

What he said.

It matters where the tear is..commonly at myotend junction but could be more distal at calc insertion. Then it depends on what the background tendon looks like. is there interstitial extension.. full thickness partial width? etc. This is why i have business to be honest. So many people shoot from the hip when dealing with injuries without actually understanding what they are treating. I use imaging to guide appropriate management.

I believe the success rate in recovery for these types of injuries from surgery is pretty high, is that correct? It may be one of the few examples of when I would possibly take the surgery route over PT and time. I could be entirely wrong though.

Yes the surgical results involve less recovery time and a quicker road to full strength. But of late, its been discovered that after 1yr, it equals out.

Hey bros,

Any opinions?

Well my friend,

At least its fixable. A serious hindrance for a few weeks. But its not cancer, your heart or your head, and so I am happy. Just make sure you follow the treatment regimen once you figure out exactly what it is as you do not want chronic issues with a lower extremity,

Much love and respect,

IPG

Well my friend,

At least its fixable. A serious hindrance for a few weeks. But its not cancer, your heart or your head, and so I am happy. Just make sure you follow the treatment regimen once you figure out exactly what it is as you do not want chronic issues with a lower extremity,

Much love and respect,

IPG

Yes my friend, good to keep things in perspective!
Thank you for your words, much love in return old friend!

MikeS

Well just an update. 4wks and 4 days since injury.
The original Dr didnt do an MRI or ultrasound, ddidnt even touch me. He looked at the way my foot was positioned at rest to make his diagnosis. Pretty lame. I showed him I had dorsal/plantar inversion/eversion movement, and could even tighten the muscle somewhat, was also suffering very little pain. He just fit me into a category of "Achilles tear" injury and gave me the most drastic treatment of non-weight bearing crutches and boot for 6wks...24/7, and then adjust the boot for another 6wks to start. I told him I was starting a new job as a Personal Trainer and couldn't do that, but he insisted. I could walk ok with a limp and little pain so I refused to accept it.
I contacted a friend who was a Ortho PA for 40yrs and he did a days research and called around to all his best contacts and he gave me a new treatment plan. Boot at night, wedges in shoes at all times, ice/heat 2x day 30m.I did BPC157 and TB500 as well, also 6iu blacktop gh.
In less than 4wks I saw another ortho who cleared me to do stretching and Range of motion with bodyweight...gradually increasing the intensity.
No limp to speak of anymore, leg pressing fairly heavy, all other standing lifts at 95%. Going to squat light this week 185-225. The recovery has been amazing, much quicker than I dreamed of. NO resistance calf work for awhile...but that's ok.
I appreciate all the feedback and advice from the bros here...thanks again fellas!

I know its a different injury, but I partially tore my quad tendon years ago, Ortho braced me up for 6 weeks and then I rehabbed it back. I later completely tore the quad tendon when I fell and broke my ankle. That was a long story, I did not know I tore the quad as I was on crutches for 8 months. 1 1/2 years ago I finally had the reattachment surgery (10 years after the original partial tear and 8 years after the complete tear). My point is, be careful with the recovery and afterwards if you are not having the surgery as I am sure you know the weakness is still there and can complete tear.
Good luck

Sorry to hear bro... going thru an injury (spine) myself. Wish you a prompt and total recovery.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member