over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

what happened to the low carb/high protein thread for mass gain

xman280

Banned
It got deleted but i saw how many f you said are using that type of diet by eating 100g of carbs a day. That sound like a 'palumbo style" bunch of baloney. It ll be good for cutting or maintaining but not for gaining or even looks at same rate as high carbs... ur atp levels will be lower, vascularity will be less, strength will suffer, muscles wont look as full.... I ll let the competitors here say their 5 cents on that , cus they know the difference between the right amount of carbs and less

Last edited:
It got deleted but i saw how many f you said are using that type of diet by eating 100g of carbs a day. That sound like a 'palumbo style" bunch of baloney. It ll be good for cutting or maintaining but not for gaining or even looks at same rate as high carbs... ur atp levels will be lower, vascularity will be less, strength will suffer, muscles wont look as full.... I ll let the competitors here say their 5 cents on that , cus they know the difference between the right amount of carbs and less

My best gains were on about 150 carbs per day 450 protein, 150-200 fats per day, along with 1 cheat meal per week.

You can eat more carbs and think you are gaining more only to realize that once you lower the carbs and start dieting it was mostly water and fat

My best gains were on about 150 carbs per day 450 protein, 150-200 fats per day, along with 1 cheat meal per week.

You can eat more carbs and think you are gaining more only to realize that once you lower the carbs and start dieting it was mostly water and fat

Goal do you feel this type of diet would work for most? Or do you think a little higher carbs might be more optimal for most. Just asking because I've never got to due a true bulking cycle. But plan on it after the new year.

u will gain for sure, but looks has to do a lot with personal genes and metabolism....I just never heard any of the top level pros doing it that way, besides Palumbo, but I dont even think he was a pro, but he was a monster.

Goal do you feel this type of diet would work for most? Or do you think a little higher carbs might be more optimal for most. Just asking because I've never got to due a true bulking cycle. But plan on it after the new year.

Everyone responds differently to fats and carbs. Some run better off carbs and some off fats. I personally know I run best off high carbs lower fat. I've tried low carb high fat and mod carb mod fat and just respond better to high carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think John meadows got his pro card correct? I'm not sure if Shelby Starnes is a pro either but both of them are "timed carb" guys

i never get why people want to use expensive protein sources for a glycogen source when carbs are right there.
besides, its cals in v cals out once yr protein needs are met anyway.
no matter what the fuck people try to argue. some just like to feel superior cuz theyre on the carbs are bad bandwagon.

cuz it started with a posted link of some Matt guy , who was talking about that diet, and he is not sponsor on promuscle - this were the exact word of the mods....

Hmm...I didn't notice my Matt Porter off season thread got deleted. I wasn't promoting his services, just pointing out the article, but I guess it makes sense if the mods did it.

It was a good discussion.

The reason why excess carbs is a bad idea is more linked to insulin sensitivity than just net caloric expenditure/gain. JM has tons of stuff on this.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Everyone is different. I look my best with low carb (50-100) - high fat (100-150) and high protein (200-250). Once a week usually Sunday I will shoot my carbs up to around 300-350. On another note I have see others do well with high carbs, low fat and moderate protein. Genetics!

carbs make u feel good. technically as long as u have some type of energy such as carbs or fat, it s enough to be used for the muscle to grow with sufficient protein, but what about slowing ur metabolism, and making you feel flat?....it has it flows....although if u take 450 g of carbs as some of u do , part of that will convert to glycogen and u might not look flat...

Most do not have elite metabolisms and do not need a ton of carbs daily. Carbing up once or twice per week is necessary to keep muscles full.

Something like 45% prot, 35% fat 20% carb is ideal I think.

3500 calorie bulk:

400 protein
150 fat
175 carbs

carb up once or twice per week as needed with a cheat meal or extra carbs. If you carb up good you will get great workout for 2-3 days after while eating the lower carbs, once you feel flat you carb up again

carbs make u feel good

I think enough calories is what makes you feel "good", when people go lower on the carbs they usually do not bump the fats enough, lower cals = lower energy of course. But mentally I always feel better on 150-200 carbs vs 400+ carbs etc

carbs make u feel good. technically as long as u have some type of energy such as carbs or fat, it s enough to be used for the muscle to grow with sufficient protein, but what about slowing ur metabolism, and making you feel flat?....it has it flows....although if u take 450 g of carbs as some of u do , part of that will convert to glycogen and u might not look flat...

450 g or protein I meant (not carbs - it was a typo) will convert some of it to glycogen.. dont think the body will absorb that much protein unless ur 300lbs at 12%bf...as far as I know - Ronnie was taking 6 meals of 100g protein each , and total of 600+ , maybe more....

Last edited:
and probably 50 grams of sugar from bbq sauce lol

he barely cares, rumors in the bbing society (my ex gf - a bber NPC girl is doing the tanning at most big shows including Olympia, so i was hearing a lot of rumors) was he was using 20-30 ius GH - his answer when asked was - "as much as I can afford..."

u will gain for sure, but looks has to do a lot with personal genes and metabolism....I just never heard any of the top level pros doing it that way, besides Palumbo, but I dont even think he was a pro, but he was a monster.

Palumbo posted this on RX Muscle a few years ago. It was his offseason diet to get his biggest, which I believe was 285 lb:

MEAL #1: 10 whole eggs with 1 cup oats-- eat cooked
MEAL #2: 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #3: 6 McDonalds Cheeseburgers with Fries and 2 Apple Pies
MEAL #4: 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #5: 12 whole eggs, 1 cup oats, 1 cup apple juice, 40g whey protein-- BLEND and DRINK
MEAL #6: 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #7: Chicken (8oz) with 1 cup rice
MEAL #8: 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #9: 12 Whole eggs, 1 cup oats, 1 cup apple juice, 40 g whey-- BLEND and DRINK
MEAL #10: 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #11: (middle of night: 3am) 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #12 (middle of night: 5am) 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel

As you can see, he ate a lot of carbs to become a monster.

I think John meadows got his pro card correct? I'm not sure if Shelby Starnes is a pro either but both of them are "timed carb" guys

Meadows' Mountain Dog Diet advocates less than 1g of carb/lb of bodyweight from what I've seen in the sample diets for both gaining and cutting.

Starnes carb cycles from what I remember.

i never get why people want to use expensive protein sources for a glycogen source when carbs are right there.
besides, its cals in v cals out once yr protein needs are met anyway.
no matter what the fuck people try to argue. some just like to feel superior cuz theyre on the carbs are bad bandwagon.

Calories in vs. calories out is a gross misconception. Losing weight and losing fat are not the same thing. The body will always preferably get rid of something it doesn't need to survive. Bodybuilding is essentially fighting off homeostasis. The body has no need to be 250lb with 6% bodyfat. So if macronutrients are incorrectly manipulated, it will get rid of muscle mass over fat.

I think enough calories is what makes you feel "good", when people go lower on the carbs they usually do not bump the fats enough

I disagree only for myself because I've tried low carbs (< 50g/day) and making sure to adequately bump fats and the fact remains that carbs is the preferred fuel source. It takes 3-4 days to get into ketosis, but I've heard 2 weeks or more to truly adapt to using ketones as an energy source. Committing to keto is just that; a commitment. The menu just gets too damn boring and feeling lousy for that long is tough to get through.

450 g or protein I meant (not carbs - it was a typo) will convert some of it to glycogen.. dont think the body will absorb that much protein unless ur 300lbs at 12%bf...as far as I know - Ronnie was taking 6 meals of 100g protein each , and total of 600+ , maybe more....

A former pro that works in a gym here in where i live, always tells me i dont need that much protein when we discuss diet...

I've been eating around 200g a day now for a while on keto diet. And i must say, im keeping my muscle and strenght well... on calorie defict also..
Im 89kg right now, started at 95kg. Eating keto to drop fat, but i kept protein the same all the way, just adjust the fat to lower calories. Eating 2800kcal a day, started at 3500.

Conclusion, i guess i dont need 3-400g of protein a day like i thought i needed. Im burning fat and keeping muscle on 200g protein. In better shape then ever. Also feeling lots of energy. Blood glucose always around 4.7-5.2, wich is great. No drops in energy like after a carb meal eighter.
I do have a cheatday once a week, eating carbs., and extra calories..

Palumbo posted this on RX Muscle a few years ago. It was his offseason diet to get his biggest, which I believe was 285 lb:

MEAL #1: 10 whole eggs with 1 cup oats-- eat cooked
MEAL #2: 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #3: 6 McDonalds Cheeseburgers with Fries and 2 Apple Pies
MEAL #4: 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #5: 12 whole eggs, 1 cup oats, 1 cup apple juice, 40g whey protein-- BLEND and DRINK
MEAL #6: 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #7: Chicken (8oz) with 1 cup rice
MEAL #8: 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #9: 12 Whole eggs, 1 cup oats, 1 cup apple juice, 40 g whey-- BLEND and DRINK
MEAL #10: 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #11: (middle of night: 3am) 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel)
MEAL #12 (middle of night: 5am) 1.5 Met-Rx Packets (white packet) with 100g carb (ultrafuel

idk about that diet but I ve heard he was advocating loading on fats pre contest instead of carbs....dont know if it s true but sounds pretty stupid, seen pics f him at 280 where he look vascular and all but flat as hell, which GH15 was saying is due to over-dieting....and i ve seen his videos on YouTube where he explains that the muscle cells are only " protein and fats, there is no carbs inside the cell" which led him to the conclusion that you dont need carbs...it s online - him talking to Tony Huge.... which theoretically is right but practically couldn't be more wrong....this mofo was just flat on stage

Attachments

• palumbo1.jpg
    palumbo1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 353

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads