over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Whey Protein raises Hematocrit

malcom young

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
My HCT stays around 47 / 48 with regular blood donations.

Most recently it jumped in seven weeks from 47 to 55, (at 56 they won’t take it), while using whey isolate.

Totally surprised me and we started talking about what had changed in my diet. She mentioned whey protein and to look for its iron %. It’s 0% RDA iron, but I can’t think of anything else.

A quick Google shows that although it’s not the iron content, it will raise the count. I’ll go back in a month and see what it’s dropped to.

Anyone want a good deal on a partially used tub of isolate,.....lol.

To be entirely honest, I think there are some other factors contributing to the increase.

I don't buy it at all but I might buy your whey protein.

I am laughing over here and wondering what's in that protein container:D:D:D

10 scoops per day of whey here, never been over 50% hematocrit

I hadn't seen this documented before. A quick search indicates this could warrant additional research.

The Reasearch on the Anti-Fatigue Effect of Whey Protein Powder in Basketball Training /

"The results showed that after taking whey protein powder, the HB, RBC, HCT of nutrition group was significantly higher that the control group. This suggests that in high-intensity training, taking whey protein powder can cause changes of HB, RBC and HCT in human body, meanwhile MCV essentially the same."

I hadn't seen this documented before. A quick search indicates this could warrant additional research.

The Reasearch on the Anti-Fatigue Effect of Whey Protein Powder in Basketball Training /

"The results showed that after taking whey protein powder, the HB, RBC, HCT of nutrition group was significantly higher that the control group. This suggests that in high-intensity training, taking whey protein powder can cause changes of HB, RBC and HCT in human body, meanwhile MCV essentially the same."

You beat me to it, that’s one of a few articles I found. I didn’t / don’t want it to be true.

Last edited:

Fuck

My HCT stays around 47 / 48 with regular blood donations.

Most recently it jumped in seven weeks from 47 to 55, (at 56 they won’t take it), while using whey isolate.

Totally surprised me and we started talking about what had changed in my diet. She mentioned whey protein and to look for its iron %. It’s 0% RDA iron, but I can’t think of anything else.

A quick Google shows that although it’s not the iron content, it will raise the count. I’ll go back in a month and see what it’s dropped to.

Anyone want a good deal on a partially used tub of isolate,.....lol.

I have never heard of such before myself. Are you sure there isn't an underlying issue?

**broken link removed**

"Whey protein supplement (6.6 g day-1) and placebo (starch, in a same dose as the supplement) were consumed between meals. Every one exercised with 80% 1 RM, for 1 h a day, five days a week. Fasting blood specimens were taken before and after beginning of study and WBC, RBC, HGB, HCT, MCV, MCH, MCHC, PLT and percent of WBCs were investigated separately. Student t-test and paired t-test were used for statistical analyses. WBC, RBC, HGB, HCT, PLT and MCHC levels in two groups significantly decreased (p<0.05), without any difference between two groups."

Im unfamiliar with this journal and admittedly, I'm only skimming the abstracts currently. This paper seems to contradict the previous one posted, but 6.6 grams of whey isn't very much. I need to read further.

Doctors take every chance to blame health supps for all your illnesses or blood test abnormalities in my experience.

I have never heard of such before myself. Are you sure there isn't an underlying issue?

I had never heard of this either.

I’ll know in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Were you dehydrated when you had blood drawn? Even a slight imbalance could cause fairly drastic swings in H.

Were you dehydrated when you had blood drawn? Even a slight imbalance could cause fairly drastic swings in H.

One gallon a day, every day. I’ve been racking my head thinking of variables that may have accounted for the jump. Eight points is a huge change in that time period.

The only change is the Whey. :confused:

Seriously guys. Just stop.

I'm sure a high protein/anabolic diet will create higher "healthier" levels of red blood cells just like malnutrition/anorexia will lead to anemia but blaming whey protein is ignorant, any nutritious diet will lead to improved blood readings, but there have to be other anabolics/hormones to push those values out of range.

maybe now endurance athletes can just blame whey protein when they fail for high RBC :rolleyes:

One gallon a day, every day. I’ve been racking my head thinking of variables that may have accounted for the jump. Eight points is a huge change in that time period.

The only change is the Whey. :confused:

Maybe you have been donating blood so much that your body is overproducing now, it's not natural to constantly donate/lose blood

It's been well established that acute bouts of aerobic exercise alters hematological values, thus increasing RBC and indices.

No different than this weak study by pulling blood samples immediately after these bouts of exercise.

Sadly people buy into nonsense like this.

Nothuman, read that text I sent you hours before this thread was generated.

Here's the text I sent:

Humm. I don't see that happening, hematologically it wouldn't.

The issue arises with misinterpretations when accessing blood values, such as HH for example, there's such a wide variable that shift the osmotic value.

If you had a hemocue meter to check your hemoglobin levels, and you checked it under normal breathing conditions. It would give you "x" reading. If you could check your carboxyhemoglobin and deoxyhemoglobin levels, it would give you "y" reading.

Now, hyperventilate for 15 minutes, basically mimicking a HIIT session. Check it again within 5 minutes or so and I promise you'll see a large variance in all 3 readings.

This is just one of many examples.

Variables, variables, variables.

I just don't buy into it.

Try it and find out :)

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member