over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mitochondria and cardiovascular health

asteelz

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Higher mitochondrial DNA is associated with lower cardiovascular disease in a new study from JAMA Cardiology. This exciting area of research may reveal fundamental mechanism relating diet and physical activity level to chronic disease. How can you up your mitochondria number? Preliminary data suggest:
1. High-intensity interval training (HIIT)
2. Periodic fasting
3. Plenty of high quality fats (incl omega-3s)
4. Avoid sugar/processed carbs
5. Adequate protein
6. Whole plant foods for phytochemicals/antioxidants
7. Possibly supplements (coQ10, alpha-lipoic acid)
8. Cold baths!

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/article-abstract/2657317

Thanks for sharing!

Given the nature of this board. You may find this quite fascinating in correlation to the topic. This may nullify an attempt for corrective action through supplemention of said approaches. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Nonetheless, this was published in and or around June of this year.

Use of anabolic androgenic steroids produces greater oxidative stress responses to resistance exercise in strength-trained men
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5615127/?report=classic

The other pitfalls that I see here all to often are individuals driving their ferritin levels in the dirt, setting the stage for iron deficiency. This in it-of itself will cause mtDNA damage. In contrast, as will iron overload. Any mineral deficiency and or too much will cause mtDNA damage as well. Those are topics in themselves.

Undiagnosed sleep apnea will wreak havoc on mtDNA. I'll see individuals posting pictures of themselves with cigarettes in their hand, (I'm not judging by any sense of a means) this will cause rapid mtDNA dysfunction. Yet these individuals believe they're physically fit because they look like Greek Gods on the surface. Sadly they're not healthy in anyway shape or form. Again, I'm not judging.

Oh, our microbiome plays a big role, too!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
That’s a good find, thanks for sharing it! I’ve always felt metformins upregualtion of ampk would confer enough mitochondrial biogenesis to count for something, but sadly we can’t measure these things yet.

Your noting the ferritin reductions from overuse of phlebotomy or a chemical mechanism ? Hah yea if your smoking, taking steroids, carrying a lot of muscle , and expect to have longevity...

I’ve been studying the microbiome a lot recently. Saw a good lecture by a med school prof/ microbiologist on systemic influence and he supported his findings with quantifiable data. I’ll try and find it.. random but about 6 months ago the wife and I started brewing our own kombucha, helps quite a bit with staying healthy and not getting sick while working in an er.

Last edited:
Is there a way to check our mitochondrial DNA function?

This!

It's one thing to incorporate those strategies, but unless we can test our results we're simply hoping these methods increase our mitochondrial supply. I'm a numbers guy. I like to see raw, hard data :D.

Thanks for sharing!

Given the nature of this board. You may find this quite fascinating in correlation to the topic. This may nullify an attempt for corrective action through supplemention of said approaches. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Use of anabolic androgenic steroids produces greater oxidative stress responses to resistance exercise in strength-trained men

The other pitfalls that I see here all to often are individuals driving their ferritin levels in the dirt, setting the stage for iron deficiency. This in it-of itself will cause mtDNA damage. In contrast, as will iron overload. Any mineral deficiency and or too much will cause mtDNA damage as well. Those are topics in themselves.

Undiagnosed sleep apnea will wreak havoc on mtDNA. I'll see individuals posting pictures of themselves with cigarettes in their hand, (I'm not judging by any sense of a means) this will cause rapid mtDNA dysfunction. Yet these individuals believe they're physically fit because they look like Greek Gods on the surface. Sadly they're not healthy in anyway shape or form. Again, I'm not judging.

Thanks again!

im not picking on you dude, you know i love your posts but....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

seriously???:confused::confused::confused:

who does not know this?

to me all of this is like the most basic fundimental shit there could be yet ppl are talking liek its the discovery of the wheel or some shit.

anything that gets you going increases oxidation.
guys. EATING increases OXIDATION.
training...
drugs....
more food...
all increase oxidation.

this whole "bb" idea that ppl come to this board after, set the stage for metabolic destruction. everyone is so focused on what gives you more.
but...

you get a lot more from a lot less once you address this metabolic stress shit.

unfortunately there is not tons of "proof" behind the shit i say, only the latest science backs up theories that are to me many years old.

over and over i keep being provided real world examples of how not doing what i consider basics leads to disaster. i just dont get it.. how do ppl not know.

shit like sleep.
it is your job to be sure you get proper sleep.
you mention apnea, only reason i say this but...
sleep is such a basic human fucntion that the importance of is simple not addressed propperly until too late. in so many ways. again all the latest and greatest sciencey things just give termenolgy and scientific explanation to that basic thing.. you dont sleep you will not be optimal.

here we are all more more more.

totally neglecting the MORE that is really important.

fasting.
again such a simple concept that for most applications is the best way. in some form.

stimulants too, cuase serious increase in oxidative stress.

mental things too.:lightbulb:

This!

It's one thing to incorporate those strategies, but unless we can test our results we're simply hoping these methods increase our mitochondrial supply. I'm a numbers guy. I like to see raw, hard data :D.

lol
i love posts liek this on this board....

i want proof! i want xyz eqation to show my blah blah...

guys, if you are working out, if your have any sort of stress, if you are not eating a sever calorie restricted life style 100% you fall into the catagory of too much oxidative stress.

if you take drugs or sups that put any sort of strain or stim on you....yup same thing.

if you gona go to the gym, if.. fuck if you are simply gona put some thought into life, the first thing you do is deal with oxidative stress.

thats it. you start there.

you dont need a thoery.
the theory is, "normal" people are fucked in this day and age, so you wana be "more" then normal....

step up that part of the game first.

its not fun, its not sexy, but when shit... "works" its really fun AND SEXY! LOL

:D

R-ALA and L-Carnitine are good for mitochondria health
but how does it affect other things for muscle growth/fat loss

For some reason I always have lower igf-1 levels and look worse on R-ALA

There's a few indirect methods, the one's I spoke to you over the phone about the other day. I'll mention them further on down.

As mentioned in our conversation, you would need to have a willing physician to pull a few different biomarkers, especially if you have no pathophysiology reasoning to. More than likely, you'd need a clinician who is well versed in treating mitochondrial disorders. Such as a geneticist, neurogeneticist, immunologist, or the likes.

Also within our conversation, you'd have to dump (stop taking) any and all of your supplements for several weeks prior to testing. Otherwise you'll get skewed results. Your response, like many other supplement junkies would balk if they had to stop their supplement regiments. So why test?

Otherwise to answer your question a little more indepth, considering I was talking on the basic principles...blah, blah, blah of infliction upon our mitochondria. Guess rather than enlightening the masses on elementary biological repercussion of uncontrolled sleep apnea, smoking and or deficiencies create a deficit on the functionality of our mitochondria. I should have upped my game and be more original throwing out mass confusion on the interrelationships of telomeres shorting=mtDNA damages. On the other hand, over replication has it's pitfalls too.

Onwards.

First you'd (your physician) would have to differentiate between several different types of disorders. You are going on a fishing expedition looking for mtDNA mutations (dysfunctional), mtDNA damage or looking at one specific complex failure. Or possibly multiple complex disorders. The term "complex" denotes the different compartments of our mitochondria, there's 5 total complexes. So I'm not being so basic, there's over a dozen different types of the mitochondrial disorders. With that, good luck on finding a physician that'll even consider testing for defunks of your mito if you present to s/he in overall good health.

Otherwise pulling white blood cell levels of free carnitine, acylcarnintine and CoQ10 levels would be a good place to start. Or for shits and giggles, you could ask for a muscle biopsy.

This!

Please see above and below post.

im not picking on you dude, you know i love your posts but....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

seriously???:confused::confused::confused:

who does not know this?

to me all of this is like the most basic fundimental shit there could be yet ppl are talking liek its the discovery of the wheel or some shit.

anything that gets you going increases oxidation.
guys. EATING increases OXIDATION.
training...
drugs....
more food...
all increase oxidation.

this whole "bb" idea that ppl come to this board after, set the stage for metabolic destruction. everyone is so focused on what gives you more.
but...

you get a lot more from a lot less once you address this metabolic stress shit.

unfortunately there is not tons of "proof" behind the shit i say, only the latest science backs up theories that are to me many years old.

over and over i keep being provided real world examples of how not doing what i consider basics leads to disaster. i just dont get it.. how do ppl not know.

shit like sleep.
it is your job to be sure you get proper sleep.
you mention apnea, only reason i say this but...
sleep is such a basic human fucntion that the importance of is simple not addressed propperly until too late. in so many ways. again all the latest and greatest sciencey things just give termenolgy and scientific explanation to that basic thing.. you dont sleep you will not be optimal.

here we are all more more more.

totally neglecting the MORE that is really important.

fasting.
again such a simple concept that for most applications is the best way. in some form.

stimulants too, cuase serious increase in oxidative stress.

mental things too.:lightbulb:

lol
i love posts liek this on this board....

i want proof! i want xyz eqation to show my blah blah...

guys, if you are working out, if your have any sort of stress, if you are not eating a sever calorie restricted life style 100% you fall into the catagory of too much oxidative stress.

if you take drugs or sups that put any sort of strain or stim on you....yup same thing.

if you gona go to the gym, if.. fuck if you are simply gona put some thought into life, the first thing you do is deal with oxidative stress.

thats it. you start there.

you dont need a thoery.
the theory is, "normal" people are fucked in this day and age, so you wana be "more" then normal....

step up that part of the game first.

its not fun, its not sexy, but when shit... "works" its really fun AND SEXY! LOL

:D

Didn't realize there was a grading system in place on this board, as well, evaluated by you determining whats elementary basic knowledge or ground-breaking revolutionary distinctive eminences.

Maybe you should direct the attention too one of Mods to delete my posts or suggest I keep my comments in the beginners section.

Not once did I emit what I stated was new-news. If you'd pause for a moment, maybe, just maybe it's possibly passing the baton off too those whom need thee-ole bonk on thee head of thee proverbial-hammer to correct deficiencies, uncontrolled sleep apnea or reconsider the net damages caused by smoking. Is that too much to put forth?

Did you even read the link I posted? As well, my thoughts that supplemental raw material(s) lined towards a healthy mitochondrial biogenenis may be nullified by the use of AAS/training.

I like hard numbers, too! Not just anecdotal. Placebo is a bitch. We all fall prey to the denominator without a sum of the total.

Out of curiosity, has anyone that has used your Glutathione or SOD had their baseline total antioxidant capacity, cysteine-sulphate ratio, lipid peroxidation or their glutathione peroxidase levels checked? Thus validating a quantitative linear dose-response, pre/post supplemention?

So before you start questioning the validity, think!

No need to answer, pretty sure I know your response.

I like your posts, too. Although, some of your posts in some threads are as if you kick the-door in and start shitting on others views and opinions as if you're some superior authority, regardless of the topic. I'm not questioning the knowledge base you possess, or your products; it's the dickish remarks.

Check yourself, pal, no need for acting impudent downplaying others.

Higher mitochondrial DNA is associated with lower cardiovascular disease in a new study from JAMA Cardiology. This exciting area of research may reveal fundamental mechanism relating diet and physical activity level to chronic disease. How can you up your mitochondria number? Preliminary data suggest:
1. High-intensity interval training (HIIT)
2. Periodic fasting
3. Plenty of high quality fats (incl omega-3s)
4. Avoid sugar/processed carbs
5. Adequate protein
6. Whole plant foods for phytochemicals/antioxidants
7. Possibly supplements (coQ10, alpha-lipoic acid)
8. Cold baths!

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/article-abstract/2657317

what about dnp? ive always read it increases mitochondrial density, is that a good thing?

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks again!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MieSVciQJQ"]REBROADCAST: 2017 VPR Panel Series - The Microbiome - YouTube[/ame] found it. its a little dry but if you go past the 1 hour mark, around 1;10 or so he goes into the effect of probiotics on the brain, body etc and also steroid / other hormonal influences over microbiome.

That was a good read bro thanks for sharing that. Ive been looking into this for personal reasons for quite some time now, this just added a few ticks to the pros side of the list ;)

R-ALA and L-Carnitine are good for mitochondria health
but how does it affect other things for muscle growth/fat loss

For some reason I always have lower igf-1 levels and look worse on R-ALA

Im not sure why your IGF is lower, it could be related to liver stress, as a liver with less stress releases less IGF. that would be my first guess without going deeper into the biochemistry of ALA.

To that, I notice while taking metformin I tend to look flatter as well. It requires more food to stay full and keep that blown up look.

what about dnp? ive always read it increases mitochondrial density, is that a good thing?

Ive read this as well, and yes It would be good since more active mitochondria can provide ATP more efficiently to working muscles. Mito density also decreases as we age, so that is something to consider.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks again!

Did you received the supplement?

Did you received the supplement?

Hey Emeric, yes I did! We was gone over the weekend, came home yesterday and was in the mailbox!

I started it this morning. I'll PM you on some questions I have about it.

Thank you!

Hey Emeric, yes I did! We was gone over the weekend, came home yesterday and was in the mailbox!

I started it this morning. I'll PM you on some questions I have about it.

Thank you!

OK.

[lang=id]I know that some people use it at 30-60mg per day for its hormetic effects

It's pretty funny in a way when you think about it. Using what's considered a chemical poison day at length for health reasons.

I guess my question with DNP was, is the mitochondrial density increase it causes only temporary, or is it lasting? What happens to the mitochondria once you stop the DNP?

It's pretty funny in a way when you think about it. Using what's considered a chemical poison day at length for health reasons.

I guess my question with DNP was, is the mitochondrial density increase it causes only temporary, or is it lasting? What happens to the mitochondria once you stop the DNP?

it should last as long as you use it, the thing is how to do it, keto would be good but there's studies showing it long term to downregulate genes related to mitochondrial biogenesis

what I prefer is high carb before weights + CPWO with fasted cardio the day after like this> suppversity.blogspot.de/2016/01/carbohydrate-timing-boosts-training.html

you guys should take a look at methylene blue too, it got a hormetic dose-response but lots of studies supporting it improvinng mitochondrial function

https://selfhacked.com/blog/methylene-blue-the-cheapest-cognitive-enhancer/

gotta learn to dose dem poisons :D

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members