over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thick back

Is it possible to get a thick back without deadlifts?

Definitely. No exercises are a must for any body part in my opinion. Doing what works for you is the way to go.

I think (just my opinion) guys think deads/rack pulls built their backs. Even though they're doing everything else they claim these built their back.
For me they do nothing. I've been told I'm doing everything right.
It puts unnecessary stress on spine and lower back (which makes you think its working your back out)

Other than camera ops and lower weight at the end, you rarely seen anyone with a big back doing these. What you do see is guys with no backs doings these constantly

Other than camera ops and lower weight at the end, you rarely seen anyone with a big back doing these. What you do see is guys with no backs doings these constantly

Hmmm....don't know about that one. He did say "thick", not wide. Only reason I differentiate as I recall rack deads being one of my staples with DC on thickness movements. When I think thick I am talking about what you see from the side as well as overall development. We've all seen the buck-50 guys who have some lats doing pullups in a string tank, but they turn sideways and disappear. I don't have that problem and credit rack deads with helping in that area. I don't generally go as heavy as I used to, but doing them the way Meadows has you do them with constant tension on the lats through out and dead stops is a pretty effective way to increase load on back without the spine pain.

I think a lot of muscle development is determined by genetics first. I don’t think deadlifts are absolutely necessary and you can accomplish a lot with very controlled rows and various other back exercises over the course of years. I think most people don’t focus on back the same as chest and arms, failing to really get good contractions in or using too much weight with poor form.

Hmmm....don't know about that one. He did say "thick", not wide. Only reason I differentiate as I recall rack deads being one of my staples with DC on thickness movements. When I think thick I am talking about what you see from the side as well as overall development. We've all seen the buck-50 guys who have some lats doing pullups in a string tank, but they turn sideways and disappear. I don't have that problem and credit rack deads with helping in that area. I don't generally go as heavy as I used to, but doing them the way Meadows has you do them with constant tension on the lats through out and dead stops is a pretty effective way to increase load on back without the spine pain.

Ive never once felt my lats with dead or racks.
I have thickness and width.

Ive never once felt my lats with dead or racks.
I have thickness and width.

He said back...lats of course can get thick without dead or racks. But to have an overall thick back? For those not genetically gifted, racks and deads will certainly be the bread and butter for most.

I think (just my opinion) guys think deads/rack pulls built their backs. Even though they're doing everything else they claim these built their back.
For me they do nothing. I've been told I'm doing everything right.
It puts unnecessary stress on spine and lower back (which makes you think its working your back out)

Ha, you must not have ever seen a powerlifter in person..............

All I know is that when Deads or Rack Deads are incorporated into my routine, my spinal erectors look significantly thicker...same with traps.

All I know is that when Deads or Rack Deads are incorporated into my routine, my spinal erectors look significantly thicker...same with traps.
This.

I feel mid back thickness is more from heavy rows, and lats develop (for me) from neutral grip pulldowns and reverse grip high rows. Everyone is a bit different though.

Just train with intensity and recover. Back will improve :).

Barbell rows, dumbbell rows, and T-bar rows!
Screw power lifting movements like dead lifts!

He said back...lats of course can get thick without dead or racks. But to have an overall thick back? For those not genetically gifted, racks and deads will certainly be the bread and butter for most.

I wasnt gifted.
Rows, shrugs, pulldowns (of various types)
As i said haven't seen anyone with a large back doing these to grow it.

Meadows rows were a game changer for me... can’t deadlift/rack pull due to torn disc

everyone in this thread should post a pic of their back

so we can get a better idea of who we should be listening to :eek:

deadlift was my fav lift before i injured my self doing them... not sure if they built added thickness, as back has always been my best and fav body part to train... i haven't lost anything since not doing them for 2 years... well, maybe some erector thickness.... i actually get better back workouts not doing them, as when i did them bc my energy levels were probably 60% after when i start rowing and pulling and shit..

Deadlifts baby!

Attachments

• 170715134626~2.jpg
    170715134626~2.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 546
my opinion

For erector spinae, squats (in good form; may have
to elevate heels) and hyper extensions.

For mid back and lats, chins and supported rows.

For traps, do shrugs, db or bb. Some may need
nothing . . . think indirect effect.

I would avoid dead lifts performed for the ‘back’ in
any form or fashion, like the plague.

everyone in this thread should post a pic of their back
so we can get a better idea of who we should be listening to :eek:

Point is well taken LS but without before and after
fotos, they are worse than worthless.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics