over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A theory on abdominal distension

asteelz

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
For many of us abdominal distension comes along with added size. the fullness required to be at our best involves a large volume of food and drugs.. we know that food itself causes distension of the abdomen as strictly a volume issue, but we also know certain the use of certain drugs carry a much greater degree of distension. Strong orals, high doses of test, or anything else really that promotes a marked degree of glycogen storage in the muscle. Well.. our liver holds glycogen too. My theory is that liver glycogen, which has an almost unlimited capacity for storage, contributes to the distension. Patients wth glycogen storage disease type 1a present with swollen abdomens due to liver glycogen as their bodies store massive quantities, but can be lean everywhere else. If the drugs we take allow for massive glycogen storage in our muscles, why not also in our livers. Just some food for thought.

For many of us abdominal distension comes along with added size. the fullness required to be at our best involves a large volume of food and drugs.. we know that food itself causes distension of the abdomen as strictly a volume issue, but we also know certain the use of certain drugs carry a much greater degree of distension. Strong orals, high doses of test, or anything else really that promotes a marked degree of glycogen storage in the muscle. Well.. our liver holds glycogen too. My theory is that liver glycogen, which has an almost unlimited capacity for storage, contributes to the distension. Patients wth glycogen storage disease type 1a present with swollen abdomens due to liver glycogen as their bodies store massive quantities, but can be lean everywhere else. If the drugs we take allow for massive glycogen storage in our muscles, why not also in our livers. Just some food for thought.

I had a roommate one time at a sober house who always wore sweaters and I figured he was fat.....well one day I saw him without a shirt and he wasn't fat at all but his stomach was distended like crazy! I mean real bad.....I asked him what that was and he told me he had hep c and HIV from IV drug usage.....were his organs swolled up asteelz? Why was he like that?

I had a roommate one time at a sober house who always wore sweaters and I figured he was fat.....well one day I saw him without a shirt and he wasn't fat at all but his stomach was distended like crazy! I mean real bad.....I asked him what that was and he told me he had hep c and HIV from IV drug usage.....were his organs swolled up asteelz? Why was he like that?

Yes, likely what he had was hepatomegaly from the hep c with associated ascites. This can occur in chronic drug users, alcoholics, chirrotoc livers etc.

In the bodybuilder this is much less likely to be the cause, but still possible.. ie lenny from delray misfits.

For healthy (ish) guys like us what I’m suggesting is a portion of our distension is attributable to massive glycogen stores by the liver, enhanced by the drugs we take like insulin or strong androgens which promote increased glycogen storage

Yes, likely what he had was hepatomegaly from the hep c with associated ascites. This can occur in chronic drug users, alcoholics, chirrotoc livers etc.

In the bodybuilder this is much less likely to be the cause, but still possible.. ie lenny from delray misfits.

For healthy (ish) guys like us what I’m suggesting is a portion of our distension is attributable to massive glycogen stores by the liver, enhanced by the drugs we take like insulin or strong androgens which promote increased glycogen storage

Studies have shown metformin targets glucose storage in the muscle instead of the liver.....can we do high dose met during an insulin blast to keep as much glucose out of the liver as possible?

Studies have shown metformin targets glucose storage in the muscle instead of the liver.....can we do high dose met during an insulin blast to keep as much glucose out of the liver as possible?

Well, metformin is used clinical to treat fatty liver in children and adults. And to some degree would prevent the liver from producing glucose. But liver storage of glycogen in a hyper caloric diet with exogenous insulin use is inevitable. In a way, especially while growing and training hard, some liver glycogen is not a bad thing. Thats the backup reserve for our bodies. Close to showtime or for peaking I believe intermittent phases of low carb and volume training followed by periods of higher carb refeed could help to deplete liver glycogen while allowing the muscle tissue to preferentially fill and remain sensitive.

With exogenous insulin use I believe metformin has a place but also carries a greater risk of hypoglycemia.

Last edited:
Just more theory bro science that doesn't add up. If it were excess liver glycogen stores those would be burned off in tops a few days of diet. Your liver is upper right quadrant, does your theory involve the liver pushing everything else down and out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just more theory bro science that doesn't add up. If it were excess liver glycogen stores those would be burned off in tops a few days of diet. Your liver is upper right quadrant, does your theory involve the liver pushing everything else down and out?

Years of medical education and extensive research into the human biochemistry is hardly broscience. Yes , heptomegaly effects the entire abdomen , not just the URQ. There is plenty of data supporting aas and an increase in liver glycogen. And plenty of us can significantly reduce our abdominal distension by reducing carbs for several days and changing the drugs were on. It’s stated to be a pet of the puzzle, not the sole causal agent.

Last edited:
My neighbor is a an alcoholic and has been drinking bud light longer than I've been alive.
Anyway all summer he works outside on his lawn without a shirt and he is thin everywhere and normal looking but a huge distended abdomen exactly like I see in NPC and Pro BB. I'm not talking beer belly I mean DISTENDED. It's high like not at the waist but in his organs.

Just curious but what's YOUR theory?

My neighbor is a an alcoholic and has been drinking bud light longer than I've been alive.
Anyway all summer he works outside on his lawn without a shirt and he is thin everywhere and normal looking but a huge distended abdomen exactly like I see in NPC and Pro BB. I'm not talking beer belly I mean DISTENDED. It's high like not at the waist but in his organs.

Probably scirosicc bro....I forgot to mention the guy I knew also had scirosciss of the liver....same thing though huge distended belly with zero fat

This is some interesting speculation. I'm sure it's not the sole cause, but something with the liver could definitely play a contributing role many haven't considered. I'll have to start researching this area

Nice post Asteelz....good work connecting the dots there with your background.

I would be super curious to see an autopsy report from a dead bodybuilder with distention and see if their livers are massive and could account for some of it. That's the next logical step in the process of "proving" it to be a contributing factor I guess.

Nice post Asteelz....good work connecting the dots there with your background.

I would be super curious to see an autopsy report from a dead bodybuilder with distention and see if their livers are massive and could account for some of it. That's the next logical step in the process of "proving" it to be a contributing factor I guess.

Maybe we could kill little slice and have someone see if his liver is enlarged :lightbulb:

Regarding stomach distention I wrote about this in a thread the other day (I will add to it) regarding my distention (peptide thread)..

I had a gut like this long before hgh, peps and slin. This is also not a permanent thing. HGH gut doesn't exist imo. Well it does but not like some people think. Although hgh could cause insulin resistance over time and combined with food will only add to things. I believe slin and lr3 can be even bigger contributing factors. There are loads of igf-1 receptors in the intestines. That combined with all the carbs likely used when using either will result in temporary growth.

It's definitely mainly a food thing. Lot's of old bb's have flat stomachs when they used to be mass monsters taking huge amounts of slin and hgh so it's not like guys think and all their organs have doubled in size. Then comes water retention from certain drugs (aas, hgh, peps, slin) and that effects the stomach. Then comes peoples digestion which is also a massive factor. Even on standard calories if you have a digestion issue that could cause massive bloating. Nevermind guys eating 5000 cals per day and 100g carbs every meal.

It's obvious some blasting hgh for long periods could enlarge certain organs. Then comes this liver theory that could also be a contributing factor. I think it's a combination of many things. Even the simple fact many men put weight (fat distribution) on their waist/love handles first so if you are eating huge calories even if very muscular you are going to have a big waist. All in all it's no wonder so many big bodybuilders also have massive guts.

Last edited:
I read an article that's out there I never posted because I didn't want to bring it to the table but it intended to address the distention and claimed big money supplement advertisers in the mags were behind the lack of investigation and research into the cause.

supposedly, because they want mass monsters to rep their sups who are huge and unattractive and not more perfectly proportioned guys who attract the homosexual community. Basically the article claimed the sup companies wanted the big bellies to keep out the gays lol.

Reminds me of a USMLE Step 1 question about Von Gierke's Dz...

The pathogenesis of hepatomegaly and abdominal distension in alcoholics/Hep C is quite different from that which occurs in glycogen storage diseases (ie Von Gierke’s). Also, In later stage cirrhosis, the liver is actually atrophied or smaller than normal (acutely they have hepatomegaly) and the abdominal distension is usually due to ascites from portal hypertension. So, the comparison to the neighborhood alcoholic doesn’t make much sense in this case.

I can see what you’re saying though about how increased hepatic glycogen stores would lead to some mild hepatomegaly and even some abdominal distension, especially when taking exogenous insulin which would tend to drive glucose into cells for storage, thus inhibiting glycogenolysis (breakdown of glycogen) in the liver. Someone just needs to do a study in these guys with CTs or MRI liver protocol to see if there’s a significant increase in liver density/size in these guys pre- and post-cycle. Probably a tougher study to fund though when illicit substances are involved...

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws