advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How long after a workout should/does blood pressure stay elevated?

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Is there a general rule to this?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It really shouldn't be elevated much at all. Here is a study that shows it was about the same as before the exercise, maybe a bit lower. There is vasodilation that happens in all of the muscles worked that really lowers what is called afterload, peripheral resistance. That is the main mechanism for lowered bp. I recently validated this on myself and found my pressure to be lower about 10 minutes after lifting.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ssure_Response_After_Weight_Training_Exercise

BP goes way up during the lifting though because your cardiac output is so high, this overcomes the lowering of BP by vasodilation. BP also goes up with pressure built up in the abdomen. Once you stop exercising though your HR and contractility of the heart go back to normal and cardiac output drops down. The dilation of the blood vessels though remains as a response to the chemicals in released in the muscles. It takes awhile for that to go away. This study showed BP remained a bit lower than pre exercise for the 60 minute time. There is a brief deeper dip in BP right after exercise as the blood pools some in the extremities, but that doesn't last long.

I have had monthly wellness checks at work within an hour of leaving the gym...and by then also having a cup of coffee in me.

My blood pressure would always be good. Usually between 115-120/70-75. My training is more of a hybrid powerlifting style..so lots of sets at low reps with a lot of weight..and then accessory work that are giant sets and really get my heart rate up. Typically last about 1.5 hours at most.

But at night when I'm just relaxing...my #'s will usually be less than 110/70 and more often in the 100/65 range.

I bought an omron Home blood pressure machine recently and have checked my bp before and about 15 minutes after training and it was about the same

How much Pre-Workout one uses would play a role as well, especially resting heart rate.

How much Pre-Workout one uses would play a role as well, especially resting heart rate.

Yeah...my numbers were fucksville and I have always had low to normal blood pressure. The highest I've ever seen it on PUBLIC machines (with regular size cuffs) is like 132/85.

This time it was 150/96 and 142/87 with HR of 92 and 90. It was about 2hrs after the end of my workout and likely 3.5 hrs after I had ingested about 350mg caffeine from a heaping scoop of PREJYM. I was also rushing to Wegmans before it closed on the drive over and trying to get through the store for a couple things and a readout before they closed in 15min. Add to that the public machine and the regular sized cuff and I've literally been anxious ever since.:(

Yeah...my numbers were fucksville and I have always had low to normal blood pressure. The highest I've ever seen it on PUBLIC machines (with regular size cuffs) is like 132/85.

This time it was 150/96 and 142/87 with HR of 92 and 90. It was about 2hrs after the end of my workout and likely 3.5 hrs after I had ingested about 350mg caffeine from a heaping scoop of PREJYM. I was also rushing to Wegmans before it closed on the drive over and trying to get through the store for a couple things and a readout before they closed in 15min. Add to that the public machine and the regular sized cuff and I've literally been anxious ever since.:(

Another member recently inspired me to buy a home tester. I bought one of the better ones on Amazon and with the free shipping (Prime) it was under $40. I can check my bp whenever I want and like you I was testing in stores and supermarkets getting all kinds of crazy readings.I see you post a lot about health supplements so it would be a good investment for you

Mine Is normal after my 15 minute drive back home.

Another member recently inspired me to buy a home tester. I bought one of the better ones on Amazon and with the free shipping (Prime) it was under $40. I can check my bp whenever I want and like you I was testing in stores and supermarkets getting all kinds of crazy readings.I see you post a lot about health supplements so it would be a good investment for you

Have had mine for years...and it is very consistent. Even if it just helps to put those fears to rest when you even fee that your BP may be up makes it a worth purchase for peace of mind.

This has happened to me and given me panic attacks to the point I've walked towards the hospital just in case. Twice in fact. Awful feeling

I usually schedule my Dr and donation appointments right after the gym. And my BP is usually below normal but my heart rate is slightly elevated.

I bought an omron Home blood pressure machine recently and have checked my bp before and about 15 minutes after training and it was about the same

That is what I have, even mentions fits larger arms.
https://www.amazon.com/Omron-Pressu...d=1513195395&sr=8-7&keywords=omron+bp+monitor

It just about always gives a reading that is close to what they get at the doctor's office. I used to do mine manually with a stethoscope and cuff but stopped when my BP got really low and I couldn't heart my pulse anymore. Most accurate would be doing it manually that way, but you have to spend money on a good stethoscope and those aren't cheap. THe one I bought was a cheap piece of crap. Instead of buying a nice new one I decided to just buy the Omron auto and I am not too disappointed. I need to try and use my stethoscope again though and compare the reading to the Omron's. My BP is now back up to normal and I should be able to hear it again. It was down to 85/60 or so and hard to hear :eek:I also felt like shit.

That is what I have, even mentions fits larger arms.
https://www.amazon.com/Omron-Pressu...d=1513195395&sr=8-7&keywords=omron+bp+monitor

It just about always gives a reading that is close to what they get at the doctor's office. I used to do mine manually with a stethoscope and cuff but stopped when my BP got really low and I couldn't heart my pulse anymore. Most accurate would be doing it manually that way, but you have to spend money on a good stethoscope and those aren't cheap. THe one I bought was a cheap piece of crap. Instead of buying a nice new one I decided to just buy the Omron auto and I am not too disappointed. I need to try and use my stethoscope again though and compare the reading to the Omron's. My BP is now back up to normal and I should be able to hear it again. It was down to 85/60 or so and hard to hear :eek:I also felt like shit.
I bought the omron 5 series,it says it fits up to 17” arms

I bought the omron 5 series,it says it fits up to 17” arms

Yeah, and I am just about 100% sure that when they say 17" that means when the arm is straightened out like when you put the cuff on. That isn't someone with their arm flexed and "making a muscle". 17 inches then is pretty big.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbmike99
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131