over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

FAT VS CARBS FOR PREVENTION OF CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE

11sh11

Featured Member
Featured Member
Registered
Ive had a few clients recently surprised that my cholesterol levels are perfect, when they hear of my egg consumption... a misconception that dietary fat is directly absorbed into and affecting the arteries. Im also surprised at times, considering risk potential with a bodybuilding lifestyle, but also trauma and stress from earlier years.
So, considering the empahsis placed on dietary fats vs carbs, insulin resistance, and heart health, is the proper diet for prevention being consumed? Great article referencing eating higher fats, lower carbs, with supporting data... Considering the ever-present risks to the heart, some simple dietary changes can significantly reduce these risks. Curious, how many regularly eat high carb diets... any issues?
Saturated fat does not clog the arteries: coronary heart disease is a chronic inflammatory condition, the risk of which can be effectively reduced from healthy lifestyle interventions | British Journal of Sports Medicine

I eat eggs for breakfast 6 days a week and my cholesterol is fine. My numbers are more off when I'm eating high carbs and drinking. Dietary fats and cholesterol causing heart disease has been debunked and shown to be false years ago. High ldl is directly linked to inflammation in the body. It's job is to patch the inflammation in arteries. Every cellular membrane is made from cholesterol so are many hormones, it's essential! That why your liver makes/destroys it as needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True... was thinking of how many bodybuilders, and many in general, push excess carbs and not enough emphasis on whole foods and healthy fats. Also was curious to see if anybody here has more of a high carb diet and what their cholesterol, insulin resistance, etc is like

True... was thinking of how many bodybuilders, and many in general, push excess carbs and not enough emphasis on whole foods and healthy fats. Also was curious to see if anybody here has more of a high carb diet and what their cholesterol, insulin resistance, etc is like

I eat higher fats.

Just ramping food up now but will be 180g fat a day at 4500 calories so about 35% diet is fats. Carbs about 350g.

Bg is 85 fasted. So about normal i guess.

For almost a decade I have been a follower of hight fats diet. I regularly have 12 eggs a day, plus other sources of saturated fat, and fish or olive oil.

I've never been a big carb eater. Usually my protein intake is about twice the amount of carbs I take in. I generally keep fats around 60-80 grams a day. All my carbs are around my workouts as well.

Eat eggs everyday, red meat probably 2x a week.

But my lipids always check good, and my last A1C was in the low 4's.

Both of my parents are diabetics, on cholesterol meds, and eat a lot of carbs.

It's just the era they grew up in as I can explain things until I'm blue in the face, but they still don't seem to get it.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I've never been a big carb eater. Usually my protein intake is about twice the amount of carbs I take in. I generally keep fats around 60-80 grams a day. All my carbs are around my workouts as well.

Eat eggs everyday, red meat probably 2x a week.

But my lipids always check good, and my last A1C was in the low 4's.

Both of my parents are diabetics, on cholesterol meds, and eat a lot of carbs.

It's just the era they grew up in as I can explain things until I'm blue in the face, but they still don't seem to get it.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Yeah, its hard to see people struggle with their health, ask for answers, then dont want to listen or take action. I had a coach once who kept my carbs so high that i could never completely dial in. Now im on more of a keto diet, super condition changes already, and will be getting bloodwork again in a couple of months. Will be interested to see how or.if the numbers have changed

For almost a decade I have been a follower of hight fats diet. I regularly have 12 eggs a day, plus other sources of saturated fat, and fish or olive oil.

Do you eat any carbs? Do you feel you grow well with high fats as long as you are in a caloric surplus?

that's why Shelby Starnes is such a good choice.....healthy fats. And credit where credit is due Phil Hernon who got me hooked on olive oil.

that's why Shelby Starnes is such a good choice.....healthy fats. And credit where credit is due Phil Hernon who got me hooked on olive oil.

I worked with Shelby for about 15 months and liked how he emphasized healthy fats and low carbs. As far as results though, Tenny and MT are who Im working with now, and they have nailed it for me! By far.
Shelby got me to consider red palm oil, and I also enjoy mac oil and coconut oil. It was tough to switch to a more keto way of eating, but Im feeling better now all around with fewer carbs. I do run out of energy earlier in a workout, somewhat flat, but have been recomping in front of my eyes week to week. So for me, growth has been possible on fewer carbs

i dont complete, but stay fairly lean.. ~12%...
the ONLY way i can stay full on a low-carb, keto-ish diet, is to eat like
a pound of fatty steak(or ground beef)... combined with a 1000-1500 cal highfat shake.

if i start my day off with that meal, i am good until mid afternoon.
then repeat the same meal about that time.
any other diet, and my blood sugar is all over the place..
i dont even sneak in a cheat meal these days, just because i hate
the sugar roller coaster.. maybe i'm fat adapated now and would rather
just stay this way.. i'm still strong(had a slight dip first couple weeks into this diet), my endurance is better than ever, i
feel my body runs better on higher fats.. or maybe i've been crushing cakes and cookies for so long that my body has been ready for a break(insulin resistance.. )

Do you eat any carbs? Do you feel you grow well with high fats as long as you are in a caloric surplus?

I'm going to have some fruits and some bread or oatmeal. But as my abds get fat, I prefer to have more fats and less carbohydrates.

You will grow with or without carbohydrates, you just have to adapt your training to your nutritional plan.

I'm going to have some fruits and some bread or oatmeal. But as my abds get fat, I prefer to have more fats and less carbohydrates.

You will grow with or without carbohydrates, you just have to adapt your training to your nutritional plan.

I feel the same way and I feel you can grow well on higher fats low carbs.

Do you at all try to time your carbs around your workout time?

What fat sources do you typically use?

I feel the same way and I feel you can grow well on higher fats low carbs.

:headbang:

Do you at all try to time your carbs around your workout time?

Yes, I will have hydrates before and after, sometimes also at the second meal after training, If the training was hard (legs day).

Also keep in mind that hydrates only remain while I am training with a high volume and short breaks system, similar to giant series.

This only happens 2-3 months after my cutting diet, in the first months of growth.

Then I will return to more intense training systems, similar to HD, and hydrates will be practically zero.

What fat sources do you typically use?

Yolks, hazelnuts / sunflower seeds, coconut oil / olive oil, flax seeds (also as a source of fiber), milk cream (for my casein shake), red meat, fish.

I will have Omega 3 pearls, but only when my diet is low in fat during cutting.

This past year I've been on a high carb low(er) fat diet. I'm in the process of dieting for a show now but currently around 410 g carbs and 45 -50g fat. However, even when not prepping fats where usually never much higher than 60 except for some "cheat" days.

Cholesterol is always very low... just had total cholesterol tested for a work health screening and was below 100. Having said that, my HDL has always been lower than normal as well.

Haven't tested blood glucose in a while but last year with relatively same diet was between 80 and 90 fasted.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws