over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

No deadlifts?

tgiles1

Registered
Last week I hired a personal trainer to help me get down to 11-12% bf. Today we did back and all the normal stuff that goes with it, however he told me that he does not do deadlifts in any of his workout regiments.

Is this normal? I have always thought that deadlifts is one of the most important workouts a bodybuilder can do.

I'm debating on firing the guy.

I'm an IFBB Pro and have never done a deadlift, I shit you not. AND my back is my best part.... I am an older guy... now, ive incorporated heavy rack pulls to thicken my back . love em'... if I was younger i'd do deadlifts....but the risk isn't worth the reward for me at this point

I'm an IFBB Pro and have never done a deadlift, I shit you not. AND my back is my best part.... I am an older guy... now, ive incorporated heavy rack pulls to thicken my back . love em'... if I was younger i'd do deadlifts....but the risk isn't worth the reward for me at this point
Do you pull from below or above the knees?Im 45 and it seems now whenever i pull from the floor my back gets funky.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

He doesn't even have me doing rack pulls. There is nothing in his routine for lower back. Just upper back and that's all.

Do you pull from below or above the knees?Im 45 and it seems now whenever i pull from the floor my back gets funky.

Just above the knee.... 4 inches lower (below the knee) and I feel pain in my lower back....im on the taller side so that may be a difference as well.... btw i'll be 48 next week...

Attachments

• 2923992[1].jpg
    2923992[1].jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I love deadlifts I've had my share of injuries but i make small changes and keep going i am not a bodybuilder i do not beleave you need them,to build a great back rack pulls are a excellent substitution imo for the back but dealifts build lowerback and hamstrings for me.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Professional Muscle mobile app

It seems so foreign to me to not do deadlifts. They've always been apart of my workout regiments ever since my high school wrestling days. I'd be happy with a substitute for rack pulls but to not do either one at all just doesn't seem right.

My thoughts are to a. fire my trainer and b. go keto for a couple weeks while training my ass off.

It seems so foreign to me to not do deadlifts. They've always been apart of my workout regiments ever since my high school wrestling days.

If they've always worked for you and have had it in your regimen then leave it in.... fact is, nobody knows your body better than YOU do.... if you aren't a beginner (which doesn't seem so) you know what exercises work/don't work for you.... in my experience i've come to the conclusion there is no right/wrong way to train.....different strokes for different folks.... now correct FORM is another story.... for me, nothing blew my back up more than seated cable rows... just pay close attention to how your muscles feel on each exercise.... switch things up... rep schemes, angles, order, etc etc

If they've always worked for you and have had it in your regimen then leave it in.... fact is, nobody knows your body better than YOU do.... if you aren't a beginner (which doesn't seem so) you know what exercises work/don't work for you.... in my experience i've come to the conclusion there is no right/wrong way to train.....different strokes for different folks.... now correct FORM is another story.... for me, nothing blew my back up more than seated cable rows... just pay close attention to how your muscles feel on each exercise.... switch things up... rep schemes, angles, order, etc etc

Exactly. I still do deadlifts but they get rotated with rack pulls from below the knees every workout.

What I have found that works for me is to pre-exhaust the muscle first. For example...my last back thickness workout was T-Bar rows followed by seated cable rows with a wide grip...and then rack pulls.

Doing them last means I use less weight then if I were fresh...but brings other areas of the body into play that help me to really hit that muscle group.

Next time may be Bent over rows...followed by Hammer Rows, and then deadlifts.

I keep DL and Rack pulls in every workout, but an always trading out the other exercises for something else.

Not saying you have to do Deadlifts or Rack Pulls for a good back, but like mentioned above you have to find what works for you. With me I seem to get good results from them. But I have a friend in the gym that does nothing more than pullovers, Nautilus rows, and very light dumbbell rows and he has a very impressive upper/mid back.

We're ALL different and things affect us in different ways.... at this point my body adapts SUPER fast... i'm constantly making changes to shock my body...and I like doing a bit of everything...meaning, barbells, dumbbells, machines, cables, bodyweight exercises.. everything has its place... whatever i'm feeling that day is what i'll do.. but no matter what I do I feel EVERY rep...

If you were to ask me 10 years ago I'd tell you i was no beginner. Now I have enough knowledge to know that I don't know.

Personally I've always responded well to deadlifts and never had any issues. I'm sure sooner or later that will change with age but I'm not there yet and don't want to sell myself short.

The more I look into my desired results I think I should fire the trainer, cut carb intake to roughly 150g per day and have an overall daily calorie intake of roughly 1500 cal per day. Do fasting cardio 5 times weekly and train on my usual 3 times per week. Hopefully that should get me down to 11-12%

Just above the knee.... 4 inches lower (below the knee) and I feel pain in my lower back....im on the taller side so that may be a difference as well.... btw i'll be 48 next week...
Congrats bro!Im only 3 years behind you no where near your level.Thanks for your reply sir.

If you were to ask me 10 years ago I'd tell you i was no beginner. Now I have enough knowledge to know that I don't know.

Personally I've always responded well to deadlifts and never had any issues. I'm sure sooner or later that will change with age but I'm not there yet and don't want to sell myself short.

The more I look into my desired results I think I should fire the trainer, cut carb intake to roughly 150g per day and have an overall daily calorie intake of roughly 1500 cal per day. Do fasting cardio 5 times weekly and train on my usual 3 times per week. Hopefully that should get me down to 11-12%

What is your current bodyweight now....and how many calories are you taking in daily?

1500 calories a day is a pretty drastic cut and doesn't leave you a lot of room to work with later especially if you're already doing cardio.

Honestly....aside from the health benefits....I don't think you even need cardio to get to that bf level unless you are working within a certain time frame.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

My current body weight is 203.4. I have no need to drop the remaining 9 pounds in a hurry but I almost feel like I've hit a wall.

Congrats bro!Im only 3 years behind you no where near your level.Thanks for your reply sir.

Thank you my friend!!.... Keep working hard... trust, you can make dramatic progress even after 40!.... I made more progress the last 5 years than I did in the prior 15..... how??

Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition

I'm here to help fellas...we all started somewhere...

My current body weight is 203.4. I have no need to drop the remaining 9 pounds in a hurry but I almost feel like I've hit a wall.
I would try just lowering your carbs some, but try to have them all around your workout. Depending on when you train, have some of them beforehand...and then the rest Postworkout and maybe the meal after.

Try that for a few weeks and see if there are any changes. If not, then I would slowly start reducing calories across the board....but slowly. Even dropping them by 300 calories a day should start things moving in the right direction if all the other variables stay the same.

When I start leaning out, I keep my same macros but eat at a 300 calorie deficit. Workouts are typically the same as far as time and intensity....and I don't actually do any cardio. I follow this until the scale or mirror shows me stalling for more than a week....usually two weeks...then I will drop calories by another 200 to kick start things back up.

Last year I think I went as low as 1700 calories per day with no cardio. But with my last bulking phase....I should be able to do the same but with about 600 calories per day than before.

I think if it gets to the point of approaching 1800 per day, that is when I will start adding small amounts of cardio to get my deficit in instead of dropping my calories further.

I followed this same approach in reverse bulking up this year. I've got a lot going on in the log section with pictures and everything. Went from the low 160's back up to about 190 now....and with minimal fat gain in my opinion. So I have a better place to start from this year.

Went from the low 160's back up to about 190 now....and with minimal fat gain in my opinion. So I have a better place to start from this year.

AWESOME!... THATS how you do it... i get up to 225 (compete at 195ish) but i ALWAYS see my abs..... IMO abs should ALWAYS be visible... of course not shredded but at least see a nice outline... good job.... i'll be checking out your log

I would try just lowering your carbs some, but try to have them all around your workout. Depending on when you train, have some of them beforehand...and then the rest Postworkout and maybe the meal after.

Try that for a few weeks and see if there are any changes. If not, then I would slowly start reducing calories across the board....but slowly. Even dropping them by 300 calories a day should start things moving in the right direction if all the other variables stay the same.

When I start leaning out, I keep my same macros but eat at a 300 calorie deficit. Workouts are typically the same as far as time and intensity....and I don't actually do any cardio. I follow this until the scale or mirror shows me stalling for more than a week....usually two weeks...then I will drop calories by another 200 to kick start things back up.

Last year I think I went as low as 1700 calories per day with no cardio. But with my last bulking phase....I should be able to do the same but with about 600 calories per day than before.

I think if it gets to the point of approaching 1800 per day, that is when I will start adding small amounts of cardio to get my deficit in instead of dropping my calories further.

I'll have to try this and let you know how it works.

I think getting my diet in check will solve most of my problems.

I'll still keep cardio in my routine since I have a family history of cardiovascular disease and don't want to fall victim to it also.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear