over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T: What are we READING in 2018

old timer

Registered
I participated in a 52 books in 2017 thread on another board, and it was a great exchange of books and ideas from people with a variety of interests and backgrounds. Perhaps there's similar interest here, and if so, just let us know what you're reading.

As you finish one book and complete another, continually add to your list so that anyone who visits later can see the other books that you've read. And add a rating of some sort (4/5 or 8/10 for example) along with as much or as little commentary as you'd like.

If you want to devote yourself to reading 52 (or even just 12) this year, great!

So, WHAT ARE YOU READING :D

I'll start this what I have read and like to read. A few years ago I went through a "classics" phase where I discovered why they're CLASSICS: they're just very good books with great story lines that typically transcend time. I do suggest that if you read a really old book, you may want to compare translations (many have multiple translations to help modern day readers) to see which one you like. Don Quixote is an example (and a hilarious book BTW). For really long books, I have no issues reading abridged versions: Les Mis' and the Count of Monte Cristo being two abridged versions that I've read

If this thread makes it to page 2, I'll add last year's complete list, but I prefer action books and have read all but the most recent Jack Reacher (Lee Child) and Harry Bosch (Michael Connelly) books. I've read all of the Mitch Rapp books written by Vince Flynn before he died, and I will read at least one of that franchise this year by the new author Kyle Mills.

I like legal thrillers too, and while I started with John Grisham (which are usually good), I have enjoyed most of Steve Martini's Paul Madriani series even more.

Participating in the thread on the other board had me discover books that I never would have found on my own. Ready Player One and the Red Rising Series are examples of these. Ready Player One is set in 2044 where everyone logs on to a virtual world to escape the misery that exists in real life. When the creator of that world dies, he leaves his entire fortune to the player who finds a special Easter egg hidden in the game. Spielberg has a movie about it coming out in March.

And the Red Rising series is set ~2700 A.D. and is about how man has been classified into "colors." Red is the lowest class and gold is the highest. A red undergoes a transformation and infiltrates the gold class to rid the world of this classification. I'm finishing up book two in the trilogy.

Last edited:
My goal for 2018 is to finish a damn book.

I got a bad habit of buying books, reading parts of it, getting distracted by another book, buying that reading parts of it...and the cycle continues [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Security by Gina Wohlsdorf was good. A Green and Ancient Light by Frederic Durbin also. Right now I'm reading Robert Mazurs bio they made into the movie the Infiltrator. I have a crush on a librarian so I read a lot lol

I want to try those Reacher novels you mentioned I hear they are good.

Last edited:
I go through stages of genre....right now been reading a lot of H.P. Lovecraft.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

probably Dr. Jordan Peterson's new book

and Milo's new book, of course

Nutrition, 5th edition... my goal this year for reading will be to benefit my education. Maybe even enroll dor college courses

All right! Looks like there's some interest.

Goodreads.com is great site when trying to decide between books. I find the rankings to be fairly close to how I would rank a book, but some genres will be rated higher than I like if I'm just not into that genre.

One book that I highly recommend is Stephen King's 11/22/63. I've never read any other of his books (I started reading Mr. Mercedes, but it creeped me out--serious), but this is different for him. It's about a man who discovers a portal in time and uses it to go back and prevent the assassination of President Kennedy. It's a long book (849 pgs), but I didn't find myself wanting it to end so that I could start my next book.

One surprise for me was the 1974 novel Jaws. I always liked the movie, so I figured I'd like the book. The book was good--and I wouldn't "spoil" a novel intentionally but I doubt that anyone has this on their shelf waiting to read--but it was such a radical departure from the movie: Hooper has an affair with Brody's wife; Mayor Larry Vaughn is involved with the mob who threaten Brody by wringing the neck of their family's cat in front of their children; and of the three that chase Jaws in the boat, TWO die (I will at least keep the second victim anonymous ;)).

The Kind Worth Killing was another good book last year with several surprises for those that like to be kept guessing.

Arnold's Autobiography

About to finish it up, great book until he got to his steroid use which kinda threw me off to it. I wasn't specifically reading it for that but I was definitely interested in it and when it finally came up he dismissed it with a couple sentences. He actually wrote "we tried it but realized it didn't do anything so we gave it up, it was no more help than getting a really good tan", yes he compared steroids to a tan, that's not a direct quote but pretty much what he said.

He's a master of self promotion and I didn't expect him to go in depth or anything but come on. Still love the guy but after that I found myself having to force reading the book. I would still suggest it, it just tails off really bad, the first two thirds of the book are fascinating the guy has lived quite a life and it's fun to see it specifically from his very bias perspective.

After that I'm going to read How to Win Friends & Influence People, seems like an interesting read and it gets recommended a lot.

Last edited:
Arnold's Autobiography

About to finish it up, great book until he got to his steroid use which kinda threw me off to it. I wasn't specifically reading it for that but I was definitely interested in it and when it finally came up he dismissed it with a couple sentences. He actually wrote "we tried it but realized it didn't do anything so we gave it up, it was no more help than getting a really good tan", yes he compared steroids to a tan, that's not a direct quote but pretty much what he said.

He's a master of self promotion and I didn't expect him to go in depth or anything but come on. Still love the guy but after that I found myself having to force reading the book. I would still suggest it, it just tails off really bad, the first two thirds of the book are fascinating the guy has lived quite a life and it's fun to see it specifically from his very bias perspective.

After that I'm going to read How to Win Friends & Influence People, seems like an interesting read and it gets recommended a lot.
"You are either the barracuda in this world, or you're the little minnow swimming around. And Arnolds the barracuda." - Gregg Valentino

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I tend to read a lot of fiction. For work I have to read a lot of technical books and papers so fiction is a nice way for me to break up the monotony.

Last three books I read were:

Neil Gaiman - Anansi Boys
Neil Gaiman - Norse Mythology
Stephen King - Doctor Sleep

First book finished this year is Golden Boy (book #2 in the Red Rising trilogy) which I started reading about a week ago. I'd give it a 10 if it weren't for the fact that I now have to read book #3, so I'll just rate it a 9.5/10.

I'm going to reread an old classic for my next book: Frankenstein. Yesterday was the 200th anniversary of the original book written by then 21 year old Mary Shelley. And if you've never read the book, Frankenstein's monster is MUCH DIFFERENT from what you saw Boris Karloff play in the movie. Here's a quote from the monster (also called the daemon): Do you think that I was then dead to agony and remorse? He suffered not in the consummation of the deed.

Yes Ive read the Count of Monte Cristo and follow Jordan Peterson. A couple of notable books Ive read recently.

The Strange Death of Europe, Douglas Murray
Homo Deus, Yuval Hariri
David and Goliath, Malcolm Gladwell
and a few others on philosophy.

Am half way through ‘Grant’ by Ron Chernow. An excellent book, I think
better than Grants’ own autobiography.

Just checked out from the library yesterday . . . .

‘The Secret history of the Lord of Musashi; and, Arrowroot’
by Jun'ichiro Tanizaki
‘Mrs. Fletcher’ by Tom Perrotta
Where the Past Begins’ by Amy Tan
‘Discovering the mammoth : a tale of giants, unicorns, ivory, and the birth of a new science’
by John J. McKay.

Currently on hold at the library . . .

‘Leonardo Da Vinci’ by Walter Isaacson
‘Endurance: A Year in Space, a Lifetime of Discovery’ by Scott Kelly
‘My absolute darling : a novel’ by Gabriel Tallent.
‘What you did not tell : a Russian past and the journey home’ by Mark Mazower.
‘A history of pictures : from the cave to the computer screen’ by David Hockney and Martin Gayford.
‘Toscanini : musician of conscience’ by Harvey Sachs.
‘The dream colony : a life in art’ interviews with artists by Walter Hopps
‘Insomniac City: New York, Oliver, and me’ by Bill Hayes.
‘The Vanity fair diaries : 1983-1992’ by Tina Brown.
‘Ali : a life’ by Jonathan Eig.
‘Manhattan Beach : a novel’ by Jennifer Egan

Plus I subscribe to, read, The New Yorker, The New York Review of Books, The London Review of Books,
The Times Literary Supplement, and The Economist.

I also listen to audio books in the car (never listen to the radio) and when I
am doing cardio. Having been out the country for the past two weeks, so I
am not been listening to any audio books at the moment, only Podcasts,
which I love. I have a great list of Podcasts I will share if anybody is
interested.

Am half way through ‘Grant’ by Ron Chernow. An excellent book, I think
better than Grants’ own autobiography.
Goodreads ranks this as a 4.6/5 which is the highest rating that I think that I've ever seen. I need to read non-fiction more often.

1 Golden Son by Pierce Brown (9.5/10)
2 Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (8/10)
3 The Midnight Line by Lee Child (7/10)
4 Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz (9.5/10)
5 Morning Son by Pierce Brown (9.5/10)
6 The Stand by Stephen King (DNF)
6 The Survivor by Kyle Mills (9/10)

After reading Stephen King's 11/22/63 last year and thinking it might be the best book that I ever read, I started reading his The Stand, but I threw in the towel after a while as it was just taking too looooooong for the plot to unfold.

The Survivor is another Mitch Rapp book, but it's Book #14 after its creator, Vince Flynn, died after writing the first 13. Mills did a good job maintaining the spirit of Flynn's character.

Anyone started or finished any good books over the last few weeks?

‘Endurance: A Year in Space, a Lifetime of Discovery’ by Scott Kelly. Just finished this a few days ago. Excellent read.
‘The dream colony : a life in art’ interviews with artists by Walter Hopps. Am reading this now. It moves right along.
‘Insomniac City: New York, Oliver, and me’ by Bill Hayes. Finished this last night. Cried at the end when Oliver Sacks died.
A great, intimate, portrait of the man and of New York City.

Pending . . .

The unpersuadables : adventures with the enemies of science by Will Storr.
When : the scientific secrets of perfect timing by Daniel H. Pink.
Little fires everywhere by Celeste Ng.
The immortalists : a novel by Chloe Benjamin.
Before we were yours : a novel by Lisa Wingate.

Have a ton of the New Yorkers to wade through until I get caught up (never do). Plus I subscribe to, The New York Review of Books,
The London Review of Books, The Times Literary Supplement, and The Economist. Seems like a never ending stream . . .

Found a new podcast to listen to during cardio at the gym: Bodybuilding Legends Podcast. Podcast ? Body Building Legends
I may have mentioned this before. Sorry if I have. The first ten minutes you can skip, all commercials but the podcasts are good, not great.
John Hansen is not much of an interviewer. The podcasts are mostly ‘puff’ pieces but his guests are great and are well worth listening to.
I recommend this to any who has any interest in bodybuilding. And don’t wait for any talk of drugs . . . they are few and far between
(as it should be). The focus seems to be on contests and placing. I think there should be more discussion of training but that is just me.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws