over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lat / Back Width

lmt183

Registered
Hey Guys, posting a picture here of my back. Obviously from the offseason. I'm a competitive bodybuilder and have always struggled to build a wider back, have plenty of thickness from years of powerlifting under my belt. I've been really focusing on activation, volume, playing with thumbless grips, basically camping out until death when I find a movement that hits the area well. Any general suggestions to build lat width for someone without the best genetics for it? Also played with spot injections there some, didn't seem to do a whole lot.

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 568
Like you said you have good thickness. Id like wider lats as well. Nautilus pullover machine . Most gyms don't have them. I went to a gym with one for a decade. Ill still go there once a month or so, contest time more for that look I think it gives of maximum width with what i have

stretching it after training it

heres a few pictures in 2012 and this past year back

then a front shot from 2012, from this past summer. I was more leg dominant back then compared to now.

Attachments

• back lat 2012.jpg
    back lat 2012.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 251
  • jr nats back lat.jpg
    jr nats back lat.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Front Lat.jpg
    Front Lat.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 202
  • front lat 17 jr nats.jpg
    front lat 17 jr nats.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 217
Another pic with better conditioning so you can better see what I'm working with here.

Attachments

• IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3179.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 553
Like you said you have good thickness. Id like wider lats as well. Nautilus pullover machine . Most gyms don't have them. I went to a gym with one for a decade. Ill still go there once a month or so, contest time more for that look I think it gives of maximum width with what i have

stretching it after training it

heres a few pictures in 2012 and this past year back

then a front shot from 2012, from this past summer. I was more leg dominant back then compared to now.

Thanks man, I'll look around for one. Fortunately I have a healthways pass that lets me into most any gym. I know there are a few pullover machines in town not sure if nautilus brand though. I'll also start stretching. I assume just kind of grabbing something in front of me and leaning back against it? Or hanging from a pullup bar sort of thing for a stretch?

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question but, do you do pull ups/ weighted pull ups? I would have to say this is a great way to add width!

Second pic is more telling than the first, good conditioning!

Lats are activated by pulling the shoulders back and down. So rows or pull ups that allow you to do this irregardless of where your hands may up are what is needed. As long as the elbows end up as far back and down as you can get them you have a full contraction.

Thanks man, I'll look around for one. Fortunately I have a healthways pass that lets me into most any gym. I know there are a few pullover machines in town not sure if nautilus brand though. I'll also start stretching. I assume just kind of grabbing something in front of me and leaning back against it? Or hanging from a pullup bar sort of thing for a stretch?

Both. Holding onto something low and stretching for 15-20 seconds or can even do it on a low cable, I do both and have since 2002 when i learned it in Arnolds Modern Encylopedia

then stretching for 30 -60-even 90 seconds if shoulders allow it close grip underhand or neutral wide. Youll be half an inch taller as well, stretches your prine out

Play around with different positions and modifying exercises. Utilize lower weights and supersets to allow you to get a good range of motion. I.E using a incline bench, medicine ball, on knees, or sit down on the floor.

I feel like my upper back/lats improved a lot once I used less weight, higher reps, and more ROM. Heavy weights will build your overall back but it after the first couple of reps it'll be hard to get a good ROM since a whole bunch of other muscles are going to come into play.

One superset I like is some sort cable pulldown followed by db pullovers on a medicine ball. You'll need to play around with the position to really feel it in your lats. It is so much better than doing it off a bench for me.

It's hard to explain the variations but it's something along the lines of the pics below. You'll need to find the position that feels the best with a good ROM.
0a3f67b2fe3b1bdf116d7b197cdb642d--incline-bench-benches.jpg

This free-motion machine is one of my favorites. I do several different variations by adjusting the width, and height. Then also doing it off a incline bench, on knees, seated on the floor, leaning slightly forward or back.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hey Guys, posting a picture here of my back. Obviously from the offseason. I'm a competitive bodybuilder and have always struggled to build a wider back, have plenty of thickness from years of powerlifting under my belt. I've been really focusing on activation, volume, playing with thumbless grips, basically camping out until death when I find a movement that hits the area well. Any general suggestions to build lat width for someone without the best genetics for it? Also played with spot injections there some, didn't seem to do a whole lot.

Your backs fine , whatever your doing is working ... Just get it more conditioned and it will look bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medium width parallel grip pulldowns...
Keep your upper body as upright as possible with an arch in your upper back, don't cheat and turn it into a quasi row.

I pull to just below my chin and try to pull as much as possible with my lats.
Once you get it right you'll know it.

I think one of the problems people have with pulldown/chins is too much cheat in the movement and sway in the lower back, leaning back too far.

From 2014

Attachments

• Lats2.jpg
    Lats2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 442
Before suggesting anything,wud like to know what's ur usual back workout?

All about finding movements that work best for you. Focus on where you’re pulling with your elbows. Sounds cliche, but true. A few things to give a try:
- weighted heels elevated pull ups (see dusty hanshaw)
- extreme stretching post back workout

Some good videos are out there on social media, look into some Matt Jansen videos as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medium width parallel grip pulldowns...
Keep your upper body as upright as possible with an arch in your upper back, don't cheat and turn it into a quasi row.

I pull to just below my chin and try to pull as much as possible with my lats.
Once you get it right you'll know it.

I think one of the problems people have with pulldown/chins is too much cheat in the movement and sway in the lower back, leaning back too far.

Behind the neck pullups hits it Better! I think...
This is at 245lbs on a Hangover..lol

Attachments

• greg back.JPG
    greg back.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Get really good at pulldowns... with really strict form (upright, no swinging) .. try and get every rep below the nipple line... start light. Focusing on becoming good at this movement changed my back at least..

Below the Nipple ????
HOW! You must be Skin and Bones or using 80lbs...Or Both!

Last edited:
Below the Nipple ????
HOW! You must be Skin and Bones or using 80lbs...Or Both!

I second this, i sometimes struggle to scratch the back of my head no way i could pull that low.

Taking yoga to work on flexibility, im sure its amusing to most too see me big ass in there

Most people that I see pull to the nipple line usually rotate their shoulders upward at the end of the movement and lose part of the contraction in their lats.

Behind the neck pullups hits it Better! I think...
This is at 245lbs on a Hangover..lol

My right shoulder would NEVER EVER forgive me.........

Rack chins, meadows rows, and 1 arm barbell rows made a drastic difference for me

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws