Staying Motivated

mytreefiddy

IFBB PRO / Featured Member / Verified Customer
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
This is something I honestly encountered for the 1st time recently.....been training for about 18 years total.... taking it seriously the last 8..... competing the last 4... was fortunate enough to win my Pro card and do my Pro debut 2 weeks later and nabbing 2nd place..... so fast forward 5 months and here I am starting to prepare for the 2018 season and can't seem to get motivated.... I don't understand it.... I have an opportunity to do something not everyone can do....compete as a Pro.. but yet am struggling to get my shit going..... instead of embracing this opportunity and giving it my all i'm like...."eh, whatever".... i've NEVER had this happen to me...i've always been charged up, a self starter...never had to rely on anybody to get fired up...but it seems like ever since I nabbed that card I lost that "fire".... just seems like i'm going thru the motions and not training with a purpose.....and I know it'll reflect on the package i'm going to bring.... In the past I could get away with not bringing my best and still place very high..... I approach the Pro level the same way and ima get my ass handed to me..... have any of you encountered this??

Have you tried a couple of weeks off? I find myself lacking motivation (but still training anyway) and just going through the motions if I am training too often and don't really have a goal other than to maintain. Or simply just being on TRT makes it a little harder to be motivated at times.

Sometimes a week off helps

Have you tried a couple of weeks off? I find myself lacking motivation (but still training anyway) and just going through the motions if I am training too often and don't really have a goal other than to maintain. Or simply just being on TRT makes it a little harder to be motivated at times.

Sometimes a week off helps

I took a week off after the Tampa Pro.... was dying to get back into the gym... stayed off prep mode for 4 1/2 months .....meaning the rigidness of dieting and scheduling.... continued to train but without the same intensity as I didn't try to "grow" this off season....just kinda cruised..... did TRT for those 4 1/2 months... im hoping you're right in regards to lack of motivation due to my TRT dose.... have ramped things up and am about 4 weeks in....waiting impatiently...:banghead:.. lol.... appreciate your feedback brother

When I experience this, I will usually watch some training videos on YouTube...especially ones that correlate with the muscle groups I'm training the next morning.

I have been at this awhile and as I have gotten older...3:30 in the morning comes around so quickly.

But watching videos at night before bed seem to motivate me. Plus I have a nightly routine I go through before training days of just packing my food up, getting my gym bag ready, etc..etc.

This seems to help as well for keeping a routine.

Also I haven't updated it in a few days, but I found that keeping a "log" here seems to help keep me honest as I want myself and others to be able to noticeably see the progress I'm making when I put pics up.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Here's what I see, your biggest goal before was the pro card, you have that now so you lost that incentive. Set new pro goals for yourself. Goals always light a fire in you if you're a go getter.

This happens to me sometimes,,,especially as I've aged and gains are harder to come by. I may take the week off from training and things that help me get motivated are my old muscle magazines. I have a vast collection of various 70's, 80's, 90's bodybuilding publications. I think looking at them reminds me of where I started and why I do this.

I will listen some music to motivate me, be bigger than your problems or get crushed under their pressure,

I appreciate all the replies.... you all make good points (esp Rambo)... I think I put too much pressure on myself and sometimes forget I do this cuz I love it.... just gotta enjoy this ride and not worry about how I'm going to do.....i also realize that I'm not looking my best at the moment.... shit i wanna look like July when its only January....just gotta keep things in perspective..... funny thing is , i know better... this isn't my 1st walk around the park.. :banghead:

Again....i appreciate the replies.... it truly makes a difference.. thank you so so much.... now its time step a lil harder on the throttle an do this!

At times that i am doomed with no motivation i usually go for "pump workout" mentality and just have fun training, because i love training. In that day i will train the muscle i was suposed to train but i just do whatever i want, feel the muscle, flex, try other exercises etc, next day i am usually high on motivation again to train heavy. I also look at my old photos, think why i started bodybuilding and see training videos. this helps.

Ive had slumps. I think everyone does. Accept that you wont - or shouldn't- always be switched on high.
I train with someone better or more aggressive than me, i try out different gyms, ive stayed out of the gym and do activities outdoors. I you tube different ideas for exercises... but mostly i make sure the rest of my life is in order, knowing that my passions will always be there and be a part of who I am, even if theyre not always at the forefront

To be the Best, In and out of the Gym at any Givin Time!

I think it does happen to the best of us. I know you can over come this little hurdle guy. You’ve always motivated me

No doubt, inside you’re very anxious about the Pro level caliber of fellow competitors? You mention always placing high in the past, even without bringing your A+ game.

Maybe a little bit of the, Small Fish in a Big Pond worries?

No doubt, inside you’re very anxious about the Pro level caliber of fellow competitors? You mention always placing high in the past, even without bringing your A+ game.

Maybe a little bit of the, Small Fish in a Big Pond worries?

Nah not at all..... i'll do well in the Masters Class..... Opens i'll get smashed....but I should..... i'm old enough to be some of these guys daddys....LOL.... but I love a good challenge! just wanna hold my own is all....don't wanna be "that guy"..... like "wtf is that guy doing up there"???...LOL

Here's what I see, your biggest goal before was the pro card, you have that now so you lost that incentive. Set new pro goals for yourself. Goals always light a fire in you if you're a go getter.

I agree . I think we are all generally people that set goals for ourselves and dont stop until we reach it. Sort of of in a crazy kind of OCD way. You need a new goal and Im not sure if it even has to be a fitness type of goal. I think other goals help drive my training experiences. When Im at the gym and I am happy with what I am going outside of the gym it makes me train harder for some reason. Not sure if this makes much sense.

Been training for 25+ years
I take time off, just be normal for 2 or 3 months a couple times a year. I usually schedule it around fishing or hunting seasons... eat whatever, whenever...just enjoy life and learn some new shit in the process. When I'm ready to grind, I'm really ready to grind, mentally and physically.
If that's not an option for u, try changing gyms
Nice to go into a new gym where no one knows u, no talkers, get in and get out

Maybe this will help...it's pretty cool!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGiGstKxk7s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGiGstKxk7s[/ame]

Last edited:
my take on life . . .

my take on life . . .

Hey mytreefiddy,

I am late to the 'party' (as usual) but here is my 0.02 cents worth.

And maybe I am out in weeds on this one . . . missing the point,
I don't know, but here goes.

For me, setting new goals does nothing if you have lost interest
in what you are doing. Sounds like maybe it time to move on and
do something different, focus you energies elsewhere. Nothing
wrong with that. In fact, I think it is a sign of maturity (am not
saying you are immature) . You have achieved your goal in body-
building . . . getting your Pro Card and that is great.

There are so many other things in life to do and accomplish. Maybe
it is time to broaden your horizons and not let yourself be defined
by bodybuilding. Am not saying to quit working out, just don’t make
it your life’s priority which becoming a pro might have done. Maybe
the fire and passion will return with time, you never know but for
now you could do worse things than pushing yourself into doing
something you have lost you passion for.

Jean Renoir, in his book about his (painter) father, remembers him
remarking, “When you are young, you think everything is going to
slip through your fingers. You run and you miss the train. As you
grow older, you learn that you have time, and that you can catch
the next train.”

For me, the most important thing is to be excellent, interesting,
authentic, or useful. To be the thing, not the thing that sells or is
defined by the thing if that makes any sense. I’ve done 50 things
in my life, any one of which another man would give anything to
have done once. And that would not have been possible by just
focusing on just one thing at the expense of others. As Lazarus
Long once said, “Specialization is for incents.”

I truly hope you find what you are looking for.

MTF, you look great and achieved something not many can by earning your IFBB Pro card. Now think of the areas you need or want to make improvements in...write them down. Once that's done, make it your life's goal to make it happen! Tell yourself that there's nothing in the world that can get in your way and have fun with it!!

Truly appreciate all the replies..... I think at some point we all go through this to a certain degree....but i'm feeling better...... getting my mojo back.... just gonna do the best I can and not worry about anything else...... just embrace this opportunity and make the best of it...

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws