over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Weight Gainers?

method2madness

Registered
I'm training a new client who is looking to get into physique competitions within the next calendar year. I've provided him with a complete nutritional profile and suggested list of supplements and he has inquired about weight gainers. I've always just used basic egg protein blended with banana or other high glycemic carb post workout but I've never used a weight gainer so could really use some input from the community. Any opinions concerning degree of effectiveness, brand preferences, etc.. would be very welcome. Thanks in advance. :cool:

I’d go more the diys route. Adding nut butters fruits oat meal etc. cheaper and healthier in my opinion.

I think weight gainers are horse shit

whatever happened to steak, eggs, and potaters?

I agree that there's better ways of "gaining weight," but unless your client is rail-thin and has REAL problems (think hyper metabolism and ultra active person), I think it's moot. But if you go reading the ingredients of most weight gainers, they have a lot of sugar in them. Maybe you should just link them to the best breakfast cereal thread of a few weeks ago:D

Whey Isolate + Fruit juice (or any fast acting carb) works well post workout

Whey isolate (2-3 scoops) + 1 cup of oats+ 1 tablespoon Mac or EVOO is a COMPLETE meal IMO. That's better than pretty much every weight gainer out there.

Whey isolate (2-3 scoops) + 1 cup of oats+ 1 tablespoon Mac or EVOO is a COMPLETE meal IMO. That's better than pretty much every weight gainer out there.

Agree with this, those are two are probably the best choices and best value for money.

There are some pretty decent weight gainers out there these days though that use quite a few whole food ingredients. Off the top of my head Core Nutritional Grow or PWO or even MRP are pretty good. MTS epic gains is pretty decent. Redcon MRE has a pretty interesting ingredient profile as well. And I'm sure there's a couple of others I'm forgetting

no doubt, if someone does want to drink shakes, they should make their own, much healthier and you can adjust the macros how you want them

Food is a great weight gainer lol

Long time ago I used to work at GNC and had a mother and father come in and ask for help with their daughter. She was anorexic or bulimic, maybe both. She was about 75 lbs and losing weight still. I recommended the Optimum Nutrition weight gainer they had back then. They bought two big containers. They came back about 4 weeks later and she was already up to about 100 lbs and doing much better. I guess she liked the taste of the chocolate. I think in cases where the person is rail thin it doesn't hurt at all. The parents bought two more containers.

I sold them something I had used myself and trusted. I remember the manager was pissed at me because I didn't sell them the GNC crap brand. It WAS junk. The store made a lot more money on the GNC stuff and I would have even gotten more commission.

I've been using Rivalus Clean Gainer for about 4 months and can definitely tell I gained some size and it's not all fat.

I eat lots of good food but on training days I also have two shakes with two scoops of this stuff and a cup of frozen fruit and sometimes a tablespoon of peanut butter.

In my 2 scoop morning shake I will add in a half cup or so of oatmeal and 1 cup frozen fruit, then after about one hour I have 4 eggs with a bit of cheese..yep, cheese!

2 scoops of this clean gainer is about 560 calories and 30 grams of protein but also it has 8 grams of sugar, oh well....

I got this on sale and bought a bag and the second bag was 50% off. Other weight gains I tried over the years made me feel really bloated or gave me the shits, this does none of that I'm happy to say :p

Long time ago I used to work at GNC and had a mother and father come in and ask for help with their daughter. She was anorexic or bulimic, maybe both. She was about 75 lbs and losing weight still. I recommended the Optimum Nutrition weight gainer they had back then. They bought two big containers. They came back about 4 weeks later and she was already up to about 100 lbs and doing much better. I guess she liked the taste of the chocolate. I think in cases where the person is rail thin it doesn't hurt at all. The parents bought two more containers.

I sold them something I had used myself and trusted. I remember the manager was pissed at me because I didn't sell them the GNC crap brand. It WAS junk. The store made a lot more money on the GNC stuff and I would have even gotten more commission.

Some of the weight gainers out there are just loaded in sugar. But as you mention there are a few good ones. I always like Cyto Gainer back years ago,,but it was expensive and not sure its even around anymore.

Now brand, Whey protein and Dextrose...Cheap and to the point!
Feeds my 260lbs

I use serious mass. Banana flavor. 12 lb bag is around 35.99.
I get the push for whole food however for some people with time restrictions or no appetite shakes are a necessity.

This is the only one I look forward to drinking as there is no aftertaste. I highly recommend trying it. Other flavors were not as good IMO.

optimum nutrition makes good ones, more complex carbs than sugars.
and they're really convenient, u can eat a meal and, instead of having to waste time, especially if u just hate fuckin eating all the time, drink that extra 400 cals with yr meal.
tho i guess most people drink em between meals or as a meal.
fools having to down 8-10 oz of meat and a pound of carbs every 2.5 hours...if they can do it, good for them.
i prefer it easier.

Homemade would be the way to go. Whey isolate, oats, nut butters, EVOO etc.

ON's Serious Mass provides 254 g of carbs; an insane amount in one sitting and the majority from maltodextrin. As Wilford Brimley would say: DIABEETUS.

I used to live off weight gainers, loved them. ON oats and whey with little peanut butter. Not really a true weight gainer but kinda in middle

Make your own. 2 scoops protein, half cup oats, 2 tbl peanut butter and a blender is all you need

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear