over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Low stomach acid

suppdude

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Anyone here dealt with low stomach acid and which has caused poor protein digestion causing elevated BUN? I’ve mentioned it before but BUN will get out of range by 7-10 mg/dL if I go above 240 grams. If I stay right at 240, BUN stays around 23-24. If I go up to 300+ it will go to 27-34 mg/dL.

Going to add betaine hcl and see if that will help with a higher protein intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are plenty hydrated, it sounds like your body/kidneys cannot handle that much protein. I really doubt it has anything to do with stomach acid. You would be surprised how much muscle you can retain on lower protein. I take in only 100-120 grams a day and maintain 210 lbs around 12% BF

What's your creatinine?

Low stomach acid can cause elevated BUN with a higher protein in take though.

Creatinine will be slightly elevated as well but not near as much as BUN.

Like I said, when I drop protein (240 grams or less) both numbers come back into range.

I don’t have an issue keeping protein at 240 but we all know when dieting, more protein isn’t going to negatively have any body composition impact like fats or carbs would.

Low stomach acid can cause elevated BUN with a higher protein in take though.

Creatinine will be slightly elevated as well but not near as much as BUN.

Like I said, when I drop protein (240 grams or less) both numbers come back into range.

I don’t have an issue keeping protein at 240 but we all know when dieting, more protein isn’t going to negatively have any body composition impact like fats or carbs would.

Do you have any of the other symptoms associated with low stomach acid such as heartburn, acid reflux, etc?

When I was going through what they thought were GI issues....recommendations were HCL with pepsin capsules with each meal that has protein. Your supposed to start off with one and go from there.

Also Manuka honey was supposed to be really good with restoring natural antimicrobial properties.

And DGL Licorice.

There are tests for low stomach acid...but one that you can do at home that is suppose to be pretty reliable is with baking soda.

Mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in 4-6 ounces of cold water first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything.

Drink the baking soda solution.

Time how long it takes you to belch. Time up to five minutes.

If you have not belched within five minutes, stop timing.

In theory, if your stomach is producing adequate amounts of stomach acid you’ll likely belch within two minutes or so.

Anything longer than 3 minutes is supposed to be an indication of low stomach acid.

Of course this is all just things you can try that don't involve seeing a doctor.

When I was going through my issues...I was looking at all types of things such as gall bladder issues, SIBO, low stomach acid, etc.....and these were things I had read about.

Hope some of this helps.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Do you have any of the other symptoms associated with low stomach acid such as heartburn, acid reflux, etc?

When I was going through what they thought were GI issues....recommendations were HCL with pepsin capsules with each meal that has protein. Your supposed to start off with one and go from there.

Also Manuka honey was supposed to be really good with restoring natural antimicrobial properties.

And DGL Licorice.

There are tests for low stomach acid...but one that you can do at home that is suppose to be pretty reliable is with baking soda.

Mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in 4-6 ounces of cold water first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything.

Drink the baking soda solution.

Time how long it takes you to belch. Time up to five minutes.

If you have not belched within five minutes, stop timing.

In theory, if your stomach is producing adequate amounts of stomach acid you’ll likely belch within two minutes or so.

Anything longer than 3 minutes is supposed to be an indication of low stomach acid.

Of course this is all just things you can try that don't involve seeing a doctor.

When I was going through my issues...I was looking at all types of things such as gall bladder issues, SIBO, low stomach acid, etc.....and these were things I had read about.

Hope some of this helps.

Never noticed reflux or heartburn or anything. I’ve ordered the betaine hcl with pepsin and will see what that does.

I do take baking soda in morning and night and never belch. I had read that was a good at home test to try.

But I can 100% say the rise in BUN and creatinine is due to high protein. I’ve experimented with high protein, get bloods, drop protein, get bloods. Each time, both were elevated with higher protein and both dropped back within range to well below top of range with lower protein.

So my plan is to up protein, add the Betaine Hcl, then re test and see if this helps.

Higher protein causes you to have a higher BUN.... Yeah, that’s pretty standard but doesn’t necessarily mean it’s taxing your kidneys.

If you’re worries about kidney health, get your kidneys tested, not a protein by prosuxt

Higher protein causes you to have a higher BUN.... Yeah, that’s pretty standard but doesn’t necessarily mean it’s taxing your kidneys.

If you’re worries about kidney health, get your kidneys tested, not a protein by prosuxt

I realize this. Which is why I’m stating it could be caused due to low stomach acid. I’m not worried about kidney health when I drop my total grams of protein down.

Curious if I up the protein and get a GGT test, and see what that says.

I realize this. Which is why I’m stating it could be caused due to low stomach acid. I’m not worried about kidney health when I drop my total grams of protein down.

Curious if I up the protein and get a GGT test, and see what that says.

Let us know how it turns out. Aside from not being properly hydrated...I know that getting blood work done when you have recently trained will show increased signs of inflammation which can also elevate Bun levels.

Let us know how it turns out. Aside from not being properly hydrated...I know that getting blood work done when you have recently trained will show increased signs of inflammation which can also elevate Bun levels.

Will do. Going to keep everything the same and just up protein and add hcl in then test in 2 weeks.

Are you using this thread just to think out loud? It seems you already feel like you have all the answers

Are you using this thread just to think out loud? It seems you already feel like you have all the answers

Partly. Just wanted to hear if others have had the same issue and tried anything.

Add some lemon juice to eveything you eat or drink, it helps a lot.
Also get tested for hypothyroidism or low metabolic rate, which lowers stomach acid production.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws