over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cable crossovers for building chest mass

headtrainer

Registered
Has anyone else noticed that “cable crossovers” done right builds just as much mass in the chest, if not more, than pressing movements?

I will do these 1st every second or third workout...
Allows you to work up to heavy sets and also pre fatigue the pecs before pressing.
Otherwise there a great finisher...

Most people historically do cable cross overs towards the end, or at the end of their chest workout, saving the unfatigued portion for presses. But like concrete eluded to, mixing it up is best. I've always believed in this. Flat bench for me, is where I start only 1 of 3 of my chest workouts. I do one starting with all angles of cable cross overs, then move to flat bench and so on. I will do the next chest workout starting with incline bench, then move to flat bench and so on and then one of course where I start at flat bench and move to the others.

Years ago I found this to drastically increase my chest strength and a nice rounded look. I would feel the strength gains in the "corner" points in the chest when doing flat bench. For years I always started with flat bench and i hit a wall. Mixed up in the above fashion and broke through that wall.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that “cable crossovers” done right builds just as much mass in the chest, if not more, than pressing movements?

Short answer, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they are underrated as a muscle builder. In fact, I don't know how people simply determine what is for mass and what is for "definition" sometimes. I do them at the end after pressing though.

My shoulders dont like fly motions w heavy weight so i dont think much a builder compared to press... but are a great way to drive max amount of blood... problem is like most chest exercises that people cave their chest in amd its turned into a front delt fly lol...

Over the decades the guys that I see doing mostly crossovers and flies look much the same year after year. Guys that do compound movements get bigger. Historically pre-exhaustion was used to make a muscle work harder. But science has seemed to show the opposite to be true. How can a muscle cell work harder if the mitochondria is spent already. I generally don't go to the huge/genetically gifted guy to find out what works. Since most things work for them to some degree at least.

I think they are underrated as a muscle builder. In fact, I don't know how people simply determine what is for mass and what is for "definition" sometimes. I do them at the end after pressing though.

No exercise is for definition. The shape and look of a muscle is genetically predetermined. You can only increase the size of it. Definition is achieved through diet and low bodyfat levels.

Fly movements recruit a lot more pec muscle fibers than pressing movements. You can just feel it if you do both movements right now with no resistance. Pressing is a lot of delt work.

Fly movements recruit a lot more pec muscle fibers than pressing movements. You can just feel it if you do both movements right now with no resistance. Pressing is a lot of delt work.
[lang=pl]To be honest i dont think so... Lets look up to guys like Dante T., Mentzer, J. Peters or any low volume trainees out there. The fibers go along with weights mostly... Lately i had the same problem i though that the problem is in the excercises but they dont, the problem is in the technique like you say for most ppl pressing is more for delt just cuz they cant do it right, and thats the key. Do your presses move fck heavy and controll, contrack mussle, learn how to actuallu use it and you gonna grow like baby! Thats just my expirience, and i found it works. I stopped do shitty pump work and waste my time at a gym ;p.
ps. flyes and cable cross are actually cool for muscle activation moves.[/lang]

It's one of the ways your pec muscle is intended to move...(crossing your arms in front of you).

A great variation of a pec exercise I like sometimes is to get seated in a Hammer Bench Press facing sideways. Your shoulder will be resting against the pad that normally your back is resting on.

Load plates on one side...and use one arm to press the handle out. This moves it across your chest. It's like a combination bench/flye.

Having the pad on the back of the machine to brace yourself against allows you to use some heavier weight. It's a great finishing exercise and takes most of the delts out of what really feels like a pressing movement...just across your body!

It's one of the ways your pec muscle is intended to move...(crossing your arms in front of you).

A great variation of a pec exercise I like sometimes is to get seated in a Hammer Bench Press facing sideways. Your shoulder will be resting against the pad that normally your back is resting on.

Load plates on one side...and use one arm to press the handle out. This moves it across your chest. It's like a combination bench/flye.

Having the pad on the back of the machine to brace yourself against allows you to use some heavier weight. It's a great finishing exercise and takes most of the delts out of what really feels like a pressing movement...just across your body!

I do this too. The contraction is very strong!!!

I have somewhat a disproportionate chest compared to crappy arms.

Heavy presses have been a staple for me. (incline BB smith, DBs, Hammer Strength).

Cable crossovers, and the pec deck have been great for metabolic stress to the muscle, but not something I would progressively overload for the sake of shoulder integrity :rolleyes:

I have somewhat a disproportionate chest compared to crappy arms.

Heavy presses have been a staple for me. (incline BB smith, DBs, Hammer Strength).

Cable crossovers, and the pec deck have been great for metabolic stress to the muscle, but not something I would progressively overload for the sake of shoulder integrity :rolleyes:

I still think a lot of this comes from people still not knowing how to bench properly. Early in the game...you get away with it as you aren't pushing a lot of weight. But as you start getting into 3 plates+ for reps....form is the biggest factor.

I was guilty of it myself in the past. Luckily had a guy who taught me about how to really setup properly...and all my shoulder issues went away as my weights were going up faster than ever!

No exercise is for definition. The shape and look of a muscle is genetically predetermined. You can only increase the size of it. Definition is achieved through diet and low bodyfat levels.

My thoughts exactly. Also, I don't know if I've ever had a chest work out in my life that didn't involved both pressing and flyes. I always do the pressing first and the flyes at the end. My chest might be my strongest body part but that could be genetic too.

Pretty Sure Birds have great Pecs without Pressing!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131