over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Best things to widen your back?

littleguy

Registered
I am not getting the results I want in widening my back. what would be best things to do to get width?

Well, what works for me is heavy compound movements like bent over rows and chins. Progress to where you are strapping some weight on for the chins, stimulated growth in me much more than just pulldowns.

I try to concentrating on lat pull downs with the widest grip I can get and all pull ups with the widest grip I can get. But it doesn't seem to do it. what else can I do?

I was at the Nationals last year and it looked like some of the heavy weights could fly off stage with the lats they had

littleguy said:
I try to concentrating on lat pull downs with the widest grip I can get and all pull ups with the widest grip I can get. But it doesn't seem to do it. what else can I do?

I dont know that going really wide is going to really make you wider. Its more a matter of going about shoulder width and finding a grip that is comfortable. Always use an overhand grip to take your biceps muscles out of it as much as you can. I never do the pullup with your hands supinated. Do chins with your hands pronated, thats when your palms face away from you during chins.

Are you doing bentover rows? When you do those dont use the underhand grip, do it overhand (pronated).

THINK ABOUT THIS

YOU THINK GOING WIDER WILL MAKE YOUR BACK WIDER? WILL TAKING A NARROW GRIP MAKE YOUR BACK NARROW? WHEN YOU GO WIDER YOU ARE PLACING MUCH MORE EMPHASIS ON THE BICEP AND REAR DELT. NO WAY YOUR BACK GETS INVOLVED ON A WIDE GRIP. SHOULDER WIDE GRIP, TRY PULING YOURSELF UP TO YOUR CHEST (NIPPLE AREA) FOR A SET OR TWO THEN JUST TO THE CHIN. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR GRIP THE SAME THOUGH, SHOULDER WIDTH WITH PRONATION. FORCE YOUR ELBOWS FORWARD, NOT TO THE SIDE, TO INCORPORATE MORE LATS.

so your saying not to use a wide griip?

Elbows forward and almost tucked in a bit seems to really be a nice feel.

I'm going to try to use the shoulder width grip. Phil, I never looked at that way thanks for the input

littleguy said:
so your saying not to use a wide griip?
Thats exactly what he's saying. Biomechanically speaking, there is no advantage of taking a wide grip to achieve what you want.

for example on lat pull downs. I try to pull with my elbows. Is this correct?

Also after each set of a back movement stretch the lats.
Grab a door knob with both hand drop down in a bent knee position and pull stretching your lats.
Also make sure you are including some Bent Rows and Deadlifts. Also you can try close grip seated rows.

shoulder width on the bent over rows as well?

Honestly

Forget the stretching betweeen sets, it wil make your recovery time slower and you will not be as strong. You are stretching each rep, lets not overkill this thing. Do pullups, not pull downs. Yes, shoulder width grip ALWAYS. On rows, keep elbows OUT because now we are targeting a different set of muscles. I like to use dumbells for rows, two at a time just held at my side, palms facing my calves the whole time. Remember to keep YOUR BACK ARCHED, CHEST OUT and get parallel to the ground. Also, no need to monotonize the routine. Do DB rows and forget the cable rows, and never take a narrow grip, always shoulder width. With a narrow grip you are so restricted with movement that it basically becomes a good brachialis movement and not much else.

I should have asked a few years back. I would have gotten farther sooner. thanks for the advise guys

another thing to do is to get a deep tissue massage 1 to 2 times a week, you will need to find asomeone that knows their anatomy, and has a eye for bodybuilding....

my guys is 6'3" 290lbs, so he is able to get some leverage on me as well, I get this done 2x a week, 3x precontest... by far one of the most important factors in my routine next to training and nutrition. the firsd few times you get it done you will be wiped out and not be able to train for a day or 2(if it is done correctly), also it shoud hurt, like really hurt...(I have to bite a rag sometimes) if they are making it feel good it is not being done correctly... getting rid of some of those knots and increasing blood flow will really make the muscle pop when you flex as well...

you wll have to shop around though and find someone that is good, a male preferably so they have the strength to get into the muscle deep....

km2000 said:
another thing to do is to get a deep tissue massage 1 to 2 times a week, you will need to find asomeone that knows their anatomy, and has a eye for bodybuilding....

my guys is 6'3" 290lbs, so he is able to get some leverage on me as well, I get this done 2x a week, 3x precontest... by far one of the most important factors in my routine next to training and nutrition. the firsd few times you get it done you will be wiped out and not be able to train for a day or 2(if it is done correctly), also it shoud hurt, like really hurt...(I have to bite a rag sometimes) if they are making it feel good it is not being done correctly... getting rid of some of those knots and increasing blood flow will really make the muscle pop when you flex as well...

you wll have to shop around though and find someone that is good, a male preferably so they have the strength to get into the muscle deep....

Whats the cost on something like that per session? Im sure health insurance doesnt pick up anything on it, right? I would like to look into it too, but wondering how I would go about finding someone that can really work the muscles like you describe.

maldorf said:
Whats the cost on something like that per session? Im sure health insurance doesnt pick up anything on it, right? I would like to look into it too, but wondering how I would go about finding someone that can really work the muscles like you describe.

$50-100 bucks/ hr, sometimes more or less. depending on who you find.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws