YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fermented Drinks- Does anyone here make their own Kombucha?

superbigd

Registered
Hey boys/ladies/gents

I know theres some interest on the forums around fermented foods and building that healthy gut flora and I have to say, I love Kombucha!

So i got curious if this was something you can make, and as it appears its really not all that complicated. I'm ordering a SCOBY off of Amazon as we speak and will be attempting my first batch here this week.

Does anyone else here make kombucha? Heres a video i watched!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Axb37lMWI"]Beginners Guide To Fermentation: Kombucha Making - YouTube[/ame]

I haven't in years.....but when I did I got my SCOBY from a friend at work. Very simple process.

I used to drink it everyday in my 20's....but things fell by the wayside with life and I stopped.

Need to look back into it.

Is it actually something pleasurable to drink? Been looking into it and taste im reading can vary depending on how you process it. I'm guessing the generally flavor with no additives would be like a light carbonated tea vingarette?

I had gotten into making kombucha several years ago. I didn't realize it at the time but something in it amped up my central nervous system to the point where I had the worst anxiety I have ever experienced in my life. It was crippling. I won't ever touch the stuff again and warn people when ever they mention the stuff. It might just be me but heads up. The stuff while make you feel almost a high different than alcohol but similar then it will make you very tired until you pee out whatever chemical in it creates this effect. The amped CNS effect takes time to build up.

I had gotten into making kombucha several years ago. I didn't realize it at the time but something in it amped up my central nervous system to the point where I had the worst anxiety I have ever experienced in my life. It was crippling. I won't ever touch the stuff again and warn people when ever they mention the stuff. It might just be me but heads up. The stuff while make you feel almost a high different than alcohol but similar then it will make you very tired until you pee out whatever chemical in it creates this effect. The amped CNS effect takes time to build up.

Okay dude no disrespect here but really? You post in the THC thread that marijuana causes serious mental disorders and now your saying that kombucha causes anxiety? Do you have any research to back this up?

Everything I have read states that anxiety is closely linked to gut health, and that fermented foods and drinks, such as kombucha, can only serve to improve these conditions.

Did something else get into your Kombucha and ferment with it causing these issues. I am guessing that you have never really experienced anxiety much before this or since you quit taking it?

What can I tell you. But drinking the kombucha kicked my anxiety into hyperdrive like never before. I must be sensitive to certain probiotic as I can tolerate some and others give similar effects to kombucha.

Take it for what its worth but I cant see a thread on the stuff and not mentioned how this happened to me even if its embarassing to mention. I wouldnt want anyone to go through what it did to me. Perhaps Im allergic to the unique byproducts of kombucha. Who knows.

And yes weed effects my anxiety levels as well.

Last edited:
my wife was really into it for about 2 years. I will say its like an acquired taste, initially it wasnt good, but the more i drank it i started to enjoy it. Once you get the scoby its not a difficult process at all. you can add other fruit for flavor as well.

No.....because kombucha is disgusting. But I do make my own lacto fermented kimchi

Home made kamboocha is a legit science experiment and really weird (smells awful!)

I’ll stick to the bottles at Whole Foods :)

Okay dude no disrespect here but really? You post in the THC thread that marijuana causes serious mental disorders and now your saying that kombucha causes anxiety? Do you have any research to back this up?

Everything I have read states that anxiety is closely linked to gut health, and that fermented foods and drinks, such as kombucha, can only serve to improve these conditions.

Fermented foods, especially kombucha can trigger gut reactive non mast cell histamine cascade, in which hyper-ignites several neurotransmitters such as norepinephrine, and dopamine. Ultimately invoking anxiety. Histamine in itself is a neurotransmitter.

The second brain is a mysterious complex.

Not uncommon.

Last edited:
I make Komboucha regularly. I like to bottle and save it. Komboucha mama says it’s OK to take random draws and add sugar. I believe this can add harmful bacteria so I never use this method. I bought 2 2.5 gallon porcelain containers on amazon for about $35 each. I bought 14 64oz growler brown bottles. I boil distilled water (about 2/3 gallon) and add 18 tea bags and 2 cups of sugar. Let sit for 20 minutes. I bottle 7 growlers from each container, leave a little liquid, remove some of the scoby and add the new brew concentrate. I then add more distilled water until full and cover with cloth and a rubber band. I like my komboucha to be 3-4 weeks old (a little more sour). I’ve never had any issues with anxiety from komboucha. I have less stomach issues (no burping, etc.). I drink a cup in the morning and one at night. It doesn’t need to be refrigerated unless you’re going for bubbles which I don’t care for. I add ginger juice, hibiscus, and lavender. It’s so cheap and easy. We need more good bacteria in our lives. The greater the variety, the better. I only clean out the porcelain containers seasonally, about 4 times a year. The dead yeast just falls to the bottom and stays there

Fermented foods, especially kombucha can trigger gut reactive non mast cell histamine cascade, in which hyper-ignites several neurotransmitters such as norepinephrine, and dopamine. Ultimately invoking anxiety. Histamine in itself is a neurotransmitter.

The second brain is a mysterious complex.

Not uncommon.

Stewie, I don't think you know how much it means to me to hear someone actually believe me about this let alone actually explain why this happens. Really. I am very appreciative of this. Thank you.

I have had several doctors give me the "your crazy look" and scoff at me when I'd say kombucha gave me crazy anxiety. It took me months to figure this out with trial and error what was the cause of this. I second guessed it several times only to come to the same conclusion the kombucha was the culprit.

I have had anxiety issues in the past but anxiety associated with this was above and beyond. And I mean 100x worse than normal. I literally had times I would drive to work and not be able to go in. I had anxiety attacks while fooling around with my longterm girlfriend. Nothing like what I consider normal anxiety. It nearly drove me mad.

Again, I'm very thankful and am going to look this up. Do you know any resources I can look this up myself?

Last edited:
I make Komboucha regularly. I like to bottle and save it. Komboucha mama says it’s OK to take random draws and add sugar. I believe this can add harmful bacteria so I never use this method. I bought 2 2.5 gallon porcelain containers on amazon for about $35 each. I bought 14 64oz growler brown bottles. I boil distilled water (about 2/3 gallon) and add 18 tea bags and 2 cups of sugar. Let sit for 20 minutes. I bottle 7 growlers from each container, leave a little liquid, remove some of the scoby and add the new brew concentrate. I then add more distilled water until full and cover with cloth and a rubber band. I like my komboucha to be 3-4 weeks old (a little more sour). I’ve never had any issues with anxiety from komboucha. I have less stomach issues (no burping, etc.). I drink a cup in the morning and one at night. It doesn’t need to be refrigerated unless you’re going for bubbles which I don’t care for. I add ginger juice, hibiscus, and lavender. It’s so cheap and easy. We need more good bacteria in our lives. The greater the variety, the better. I only clean out the porcelain containers seasonally, about 4 times a year. The dead yeast just falls to the bottom and stays there

When I was drinking/making kombucha I was making several different varieties all the time and was proud of it. I would drink about a glass a day. I would give it away. I thought it was delicious. I now look at it like poison and would advise anyone and everyone to never touch the stuff. You must not be effected by it like I was. I don't know why I am the unlucky one who had such an adverse reaction to it.

I have a batch going all the time. Drink a cup every day. Appreciate the health benefits. Have been running 2 types of green tea base, with dried elderberries, ginseng and cayenne at the moment. I use a variety of flowers or herbals to create medicinal value

I have 2 gallons of kombucha brewing right now. I've been slacking on bottling it because it's getting repetitive; primary and secondary fermentation. Thinking about just drinking a cup or two a day straight out of the jar after a week.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws