over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

4 days vs 5 days

suppdude

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Who here has gone from 5 to 4 days training a week?

I’ve always been the type to not take rest days which has for sure hurt those gains. Typically always was a 6 days per week guy and recently a few months ago went to 5. Now I’m thinking of trying to go to 4, as I’m in a growth phase and want to see what all the extra rest will do. So really just curious on others results or thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only speak for myself, but as I get older, the rest days are very important. I don't have a set criteria for it anymore, I just go by how I feel. When running my Test a little higher, I'm able to rest less. When the soreness subsides, and I feel tight, I hit it again. Sometimes that will mean 3 days per week and others times it will mean 5 days per week.

I see no point in training stressed muscles. It does no good and hinders gains for sure. You want to break down recovered muscles and let them grow.

So for me, there is no set days of the week etc. I just go by how I feel, with making sure my muscles are rested before tearing them up again. :D

I train every other day.

Works well for me :)

My guys and I do push day, pull day, leg day, rinse and repeat, with a total body type workout thrown into the mix. (Usually a pretty insane WOD for endurance)

My guys and I do push day, pull day, leg day, rinse and repeat, with a total body type workout thrown into the mix. (Usually a pretty insane WOD for endurance)
I train % with RPEs to put on strength and hit auxiliary lifts for weaknesses. I go back to upper lower splits in summer to look good for beach season. Its a bad habit but I train till my body says stop. I'm not one that needs motivation, so most the time the problem is telling myself to rest. I blame the military for that, I'm sure you can relate haha. I do occasionally go back to push, pull, legs.

Sent from my S2_PRO using Tapatalk

I usually do 5 days a week. 2 days rest is enough for me to recover

same here, brother!
How long have you trained this way? Does your body respond better to this style?
I train % with RPEs to put on strength and hit auxiliary lifts for weaknesses. I go back to upper lower splits in summer to look good for beach season. Its a bad habit but I train till my body says stop. I'm not one that needs motivation, so most the time the problem is telling myself to rest. I blame the military for that, I'm sure you can relate haha. I do occasionally go back to push, pull, legs.

Sent from my S2_PRO using Tapatalk

Lol yeh man I totally can relate. I will say, after this shoulder injury and surgery, I’m starting to listen to my body A TON more lol. So what’s your current split?

I was doing legs push pull off then pull legs off. Im thinking to hit things with more frequency I’m going to do this:

Legs calf - quad dominant with one ham movement at the end
Chest shoulder tri bi back - tri bi and back get one movement
Off
Back chest shoulder bi tri - chest shoulder bi tri get one movement
Legs calf- ham dominant with one quad movement at the end
Off
Off

I do DC style training so everything is heavy and only 2 sets for every movement. So the movements getting one set at the end are typically rest pause or drop set.

Cardio on rest days with abs/core

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Recently reduced from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3. I like hitting everything 2-3x week. Also 40+ and enjoying the extra rest days. May cycle back up 4-6 days but not for long.

I haven't done more than 4 days in the offseason for about 5 years now. 4 days seems optimal for my body.

Lately I've been doing 3 days a week and just program it accordingly (add in rest-pauses where appropriate, more volume for something like shoulders, etc). It's what fits my schedule currently and I haven't lost anything extra from the switch.

Hell some of the best gains I ever had were from DC doing 3 days a week and then when my body couldn't tolerate it any more switching to a 4day split for more volume.

I'm older... 3 days, then rest 1 or 2 days, repeat.

4 days a week for the last 16 weeks...
Time to step it back to twice a week. I may actually grow from the added rest days and stress on the CNS....

IMO switching to fewer days SHOULDN'T hurt your gains at all.

I'm on a 6 days a week thing right now. But when I DO drop to 4 or 5, im justifying it by saying that I'll have better recovery and I'll be able to lift harder.
When you reduce frequency, you're going to have to do sooome shifting around with intensity and recovery ability to make it work in your favor.

I've had great results going 6 days a week and really pushing it....then dropping to 3-4. Flip flopping between frequency and intensity.

2 on 1 off is all I can handle. Push/legs/pull. Ends up a little more than 4x a week.

When I get wore down I go to upper/lower EOD

I go by how I feel, calorie intake and sleep. My normal rest day is Wednesday’s but sometimes I need it by tueasday if my Sleep isn’t a little off. I’ll take it a day early. I have a planned arm day satuday. If I am tired I’ll take it off. If I’m feeling really good I’ll skip it and throw in another back or chest day and do some arms with it. If I’m just feeling ok I’ll train some arms. Then it’s always back or legs before my rest day.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131