over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Liver enzyme

AllLoadedUp

Registered
My doc did my yearly bloodwork. My AST enzyme was elevated and he wants me to come in and do an abdominal x-ray. I asked the nurse if it was elevated a lot or just a little. She said it was just elevated a little. They checked and I don't have hepatitis. That's nice to know.

I don't drink, smoke or do anything other than trt. I know its probably nothing. But I'm use to my bloodwork always being perfect. Plus I know elevated enzymes, in my case just one, can mean the C word. I'm worrying over something probably harmless I know. I do take a 81mg aspirin every day. Wonder if that could be causing it? Can't see how. Any of you guys ever dealt with this? Or had an abdominal x-ray?

Last edited:
I've had elevated liver enzymes many times, but I assumed it was from orals. I had the abdominal ultrasound and it was interesting. My liver appeared normal, but they also see your kidneys, and it's nice to know if something seems off in that area in general. A few years later I thought I was having gallbladder issues(I was right, small stones), but it was cool to see kidneys and liver again and to have a previous scan to compare things with. It's very easy and it's good to know what's going on and possibly catch something abnormal before it starts causing symptoms or it is too late. Unless it is cost prohibitive, I would have it done. It's easy, and it's better to know. I bet you nothing is wrong with your liver, just being slightly taxed more than usual.

It's difficult to say whether you should be concerned, without knowing the Exact Number on your AST.
I've had Elevated AST and ALT many times, without any Lasting Effects on my Liver.
I've had the Ultrasound on my Liver/Kidneys/Bladder, and all were OK.

In regards to you taking Aspirin.
Aspirin generally doesn't have any Detrimental Effect on the Liver when taken in Normal Dosages.
Tylenol on the other hand, has been shown in Clinical Testing to Harm the Liver, even at Regular Doses........................ JP
P.S.
There was one study done back in the mid-70's.
20 Couples were given Regular Tylenol (not Extra-Strength) for 2 Weeks.
They were given complete Liver Testing before they started, all Livers were Healthy.
After the 2 Weeks, all 20 Couples showed early signs of Liver Damage.

I've had elevated liver enzymes many times, but I assumed it was from orals. I had the abdominal ultrasound and it was interesting. My liver appeared normal, but they also see your kidneys, and it's nice to know if something seems off in that area in general. A few years later I thought I was having gallbladder issues(I was right, small stones), but it was cool to see kidneys and liver again and to have a previous scan to compare things with. It's very easy and it's good to know what's going on and possibly catch something abnormal before it starts causing symptoms or it is too late. Unless it is cost prohibitive, I would have it done. It's easy, and it's better to know. I bet you nothing is wrong with your liver, just being slightly taxed more than usual.
Yeh she said they had to check with my insurance first to make sure it covers it. I'm sure it no big deal either. But you know shit like that just always makes you wonder in the back of your head.

It's difficult to say whether you should be concerned, without knowing the Exact Number on your AST.
I've had Elevated AST and ALT many times, without any Lasting Effects on my Liver.
I've had the Ultrasound on my Liver/Kidneys/Bladder, and all were OK.

In regards to you taking Aspirin.
Aspirin generally doesn't have any Detrimental Effect on the Liver when taken in Normal Dosages.
Tylenol on the other hand, has been shown in Clinical Testing to Harm the Liver, even at Regular Doses........................ JP
P.S.
There was one study done back in the mid-70's.
20 Couples were given Regular Tylenol (not Extra-Strength) for 2 Weeks.
They were given complete Liver Testing before they started, all Livers were Healthy.
After the 2 Weeks, all 20 Couples showed early signs of Liver Damage.
For some reason I didn't ask her the exact number. The range on AST is 0-39. When I asked her if it was elevated a little or a lot. She said "a little". I'm gonna call back tomorrow and get the exact number. If I take something for a headache its usually Ibuprofen. Sometimes Aleve. But I don't take any of that stuff that often. I'll know more tomorrow. I will post up my number when I get it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2291230/

In summery, every bodybuilder who's training intensely and breaking down muscle tissue is going to have elevated liver enzymes. If it makes you sleep better at night, throw in some milk thistle and you're good to go.

That is true that it can elevate it. Probably depends on how hard and heavy you went. I had really high levels once a day after a really heavy squat day. We retested it the following week and I made sure not to lift really heavy for a few days before the test. My levels were normal then.

Elevated ALT numbers is more indicative of issues going on with the liver than AST.

AST enzymes are more prevalent in skeletal muscle tissue. In one study I read adult males have 26 times more AST enzymes on average in their muscle than in their liver.

So training before labs can definitely skew that reading.

Here are my numbers. It actually wasn't just my AST.

AST-52. Range is 0-39
ALT-143. Range is 0-52
ALP-37. Range is 38-126 That was slightly low.

So looking at it its my ALT thats far more elevated than the AST.

I go for an abdominal ultrasound next week. He said in his notes that these readings are "mildly elevated".

AST-52. Range is 0-39
ALT-143. Range is 0-52

I go for an abdominal ultrasound next week. He said in his notes that these readings are "mildly elevated".

This look sjust like mine. I was going to start taking meds for my psoriasis and the dr refused becuase of my levels and sent me to a liver dr. And my ast was onlt 43

AST-52. Range is 0-39
ALT-143. Range is 0-52

I know it doesn't help...but no use in getting worked up until you get the test and see whats going on.

I went through all that last year when they thought I was having gall bladder issues.

My numbers weren't elevated....but I had an ultrasound and cat-scan anyway. They check out everything....liver, pancreas, kidneys.....so at least you get a comprehensive view of how things look.

As others have stated....pain medication, alcohol, oral steroids can all affect ALT numbers. Training mainly affects AST numbers.

But he is just following through if you didn't give him any specific lifestyle reasons as to what may be an issue.

Again it's hard to not worry.....but it won't help anything at this point to get worked up about it.

Keep us updated. I've seen people with numbers elevated much higher than that.

As far as supplements for the liver....Milk Thistle, NAC,....and even Synthetek sells a great liver supplement that plenty of users have posted about showing comparisons that were major improvements!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Got the call back from my doc today after the ultrasound. I have "a little bit of a fatty liver". The nurse said my doc isn't that concerned about it and will just test my enzymes again when I go back in a year for my usual visit.

They checked everything else my kidneys, spleen, gall bladder, pancreas, etc. All was fine. I started taking Milk Thistle again. And plan to just keep taking it daily like I use to. Doing 1000mg a day.

Needless to say I felt quite relieved after the call. Now off to Mcdonalds. :D

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828