over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thyroid Removal - T3, T4, Energy, Bodyweight Problems

heman4u

Registered
My girlfriends elder sister had her thyroid removed 2 years ago. I had'nt spoke with her in detail about the things assosciated with it. But, with me taking low dose T3 daily, I was curious to know what her medications were. I came to know that te doc. has put her on 150mcg T4 daily morning. But, the thing is that she has gained a lot of weight till today and is depressed, no energy etc. When scientifically I think she should be maintaining weight and should be energetic when on the medication right? I asked her is she not taking any T3? She said No and had no answer why? She had never asked doc abt it too well as she have no idea about all this obviously.

My question to you guys is: Should she be actually taking some T3 too? Is the T4 medication doing her no good? She badly wants to lose some weight and be more confident. Any idea about all this? Please share your knowledge.

My wife had her thyroid removed 5 years ago due to cancer and, no matter what her levels show, she is always tired and has gained some weight as well.

She takes 150mcg t4 and 5mcg T3 daily. The T3 helped with energy some but not completely and puts her levels on the high end of normal.

It's been an ongoing issue for 5 years now and probably will be the rest of her life.

--T4 should be taken first thing in the AM, on an empty stomach, as food interferes with absorption. Start at 100 or 150 mcg.

--T3 can be taken at any time (with or without food), but needs to be dosed 2x a day or 3x a day, due to it's short half life. No more than 12.5 mcg at a time, ideally.

A reasonable plan is 100 to 150 T4 AM (pre-breakfast), 15-25 T3 total (split 2x daily)

People may or may not need T3, depending on their ability to convert T4 to T3. I would not jump above 25 of T3, as that is a "performance enhancing" dose, and not really sustainable long term.

(Edit: Some people convert alot of T4 into T3, whereas others have an inability to convert T4 to T3, and thus have a deficiency of T3)

Most doctors are reluctant to prescribe T3 for some reason. Most will only prescribe T4, or some combination pill that has low amounts of T3.

Last edited:
Many doctors foolishly assume that every single thyroid patient will be fine on t4 alone. Thing is, lots of people have trouble with the conversion of t4 to T3, so they will never feel quite right on t4 alone.

I don't know if Cratus Medical is still a sponsor here, but they have my wife on NatureThroid, which provides both t4 and T3. Made a difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Some people convert alot of T4 into T3, whereas others have an inability to convert T4 to T3, and thus have a deficiency of T3

Many doctors foolishly assume that every single thyroid patient will be fine on t4 alone. Thing is, lots of people have trouble with the conversion of t4 to T3, so they will never feel quite right on t4 alone.

Here, she is on 150 mcg T4 only. How can I find out if it's the right dosage? I mean what should I look for in terms of T3, T4 and TSH levels, if I make her do a Thyroid Function blood test to know if the dosage is fine for her? I am pretty sure from her appearance that it's not but still explaining with a blood result will sound better.

Here, she is on 150 mcg T4 only. How can I find out if it's the right dosage? I mean what should I look for in terms of T3, T4 and TSH levels, if I make her do a Thyroid Function blood test to know if the dosage is fine for her? I am pretty sure from her appearance that it's not but still explaining with a blood result will sound better.
Most typical doctors will only test TSH and ignore the rest. They assume that everyone efficiently converts t4 to T3; hence, if TSH is in range, you're fine!

But an intelligent doctor would add 'free t3' test to the blood panel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner