over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tattoos...

dale338

Registered
Curious if you feel being tatted brings out a more defined muscular look, or hides it and makes it less? Now I'm not talking individual spotted tattoos, rather when someone has like a full sleeve, half chest thing. So many guys are tatted these days. I still have none, but am thinking to get my left side covered and run it into my chest. Does color or dark ink seem to bring out more definition?

Got my own, probably more than you. Just sayin. Not looking to have muscles drawn on. Asking in general if coverage tattoo work makes you look more or less defined.

At the shows I see a lot of guys with tatts... I have several. They can be a distraction from definition, unless the tan is really dark and kinda covers them up. I dont feel they enhance definition at all... more of a personal statement

In my opinion it blurs the muscles and vascularity. Basically covering up what you worked so hard to achieve. That doesn’t mean a big arm isn’t big once tatted up, just loses the effect to me. In the end personal taste comes down to it but bodybuilders with heavy tats look silly to me. And you mentioned how more and more people are getting it done. Yet another reason to not do it in my opinion.

Got my own, probably more than you. Just sayin. Not looking to have muscles drawn on. Asking in general if coverage tattoo work makes you look more or less defined.

I would imagine that anything that covers the muscle (that is not a tan) will obscure the appearance of said muscle :headbang:

though you could use tattoos to create an illusion - like Rich Piana (RIP)

I would imagine that anything that covers the muscle (that is not a tan) will obscure the appearance of said muscle :headbang:

though you could use tattoos to create an illusion - like Rich Piana (RIP)

That’s why most pros don’t have tats. Especially sleeves and such

Definitely hides them in my opinion

I'm sleeved out but don't regret it. I won't ever make a career out of bodybuilding and if I can't convince the judges I deserve that 1st callout, it definitely wasn't due to my tattoos. Come in peeled and as full as possible and tattoos no longer matter IMO.

guy at my gym wanted to know how to 'get sick abs'

he said once he got em, he would get a bunch of tattoos on em :eek:

Curious if you feel being tatted brings out a more defined muscular look, or hides it and makes it less? Now I'm not talking individual spotted tattoos, rather when someone has like a full sleeve, half chest thing. So many guys are tatted these days. I still have none, but am thinking to get my left side covered and run it into my chest. Does color or dark ink seem to bring out more definition?

No! It absolutely does NOT bring out definition, it takes away from it because it breaks up way the light is distributed/absorbed across the skin. This changes the way the viewer's eye perceives the muscle.

When it comes down to judging the fine-detail, how can they see striations when there's a tattoo over that area?

I'm not anti tattoo but you can't judge the Mona Lisa if someone has spray painted graffiti over the print.

I have spent a life time developing my muscles. I sure as hell don’t want to cover them up. Anyone can pay to get ink on their body. Muscles require hard work and sacrifice. To each his/her own though. Do what makes you happy.

After my first comp (which I won) at the after show party, I tracked down a couple of the judges to ask for advice. The very first comment was that you were the only guy without tats, which is very rare these days. Tats throw off the symmetry (which several other guys have already said). It was a statement of fact.

I took it to heart and never got one. I actually like them and most of my girlfriends over the years have had several. But to this day, I still get comments that I stand out because I don't have any tats.

Look at competition pictures/videos of Lee Priest with no tattoos and pics with tattoos.

The consensus here seems to clearly be they make you less defined and take aware from the overall bodybuilding look. Guess I'll stick with isolated tats and no full cover work.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear