over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Blood work: Insulin levels

warlock

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I was at the doctor's the other day for a physical. While there I took advantage and asked if he could run some blood work. Among others, I asked if he could test my insulin levels. I had already eaten 2 carb meals, but he said it was ok to get blood drawn and that I did not need to be fasting.

I got the results and insulin levels are +26 (Range: 2.6-24.9 uIU/mL)

Every other time I have gotten insulin tested, I was fasted and it was always under 10.

Shouldn't insulin levels be tested fasted for accurate results? Should I be concerned with this number considering I had eaten 2 carb meals prior to the testing?

The results have me a little paranoid. I know I'll be getting them tested again soon, but was wondering what your thoughts are.

Last edited:
I was at the doctor's the other day for a physical. While there I took advantage and asked if he could run some blood work. Among others, I asked if he could test my insulin levels. I had already eaten 2 carb meals, but he said it was ok to get blood drawn and that I did not need to be fasting.

I got the results and insulin levels are +26 (Range: 2.6-24.9 uIU/mL)

Every other time I have gotten insulin tested, I was fasted and it was always under 10.

Shouldn't insulin levels be tested fasted for accurate results? Should I be concerned with this number considering I had eaten 2 carb meals prior to the testing?

The results have me a little paranoid. I know I'll be getting them tested again soon, but was wondering what your thoughts are.

I would never go see that Dr.

I would never go see that Dr.

I was surprised when he said none of the tests I wanted done required fasting. I figured insulin would. It's true that, at one point during the conversation, he asked why I wanted to get insulin tested and admitted he did not know much about it. He did not put up a fight though and worked with me with all I wanted to get done.

Well then my blood must be made out of sugar then when I got tested because I was fasted with Glucose at 73 and Insulin Level at 34.5....Same ref range.

So if I would’ve eaten a carb meal my insulin would’ve been even crazier.. Supposedly? Lol

Have you been on HGH compared to other times tested?

Well then my blood must be made out of sugar then when I got tested because I was fasted with Glucose at 73 and Insulin Level at 34.5....Same ref range.

So if I would’ve eaten a carb meal my insulin would’ve been even crazier.. Supposedly? Lol

Have you been on HGH compared to other times tested?

If you were fasting, that value is very high. I know John Meadows has stated that 3 to 9 is ideal.

No, I have not been suing any HGH. My glucose level is 75 to 80.

Your postprandial reading was high after carbs!?!?! Oh man thats crazy.

How long after the carbs were bloods taken? How many carbs? Are on you on gh? Do you know what google is?

If you were fasting, that value is very high. I know John Meadows has stated that 3 to 9 is ideal.

No, I have not been suing any HGH. My glucose level is 75 to 80.

I think it probably had to do with the years of shit food and alcohol/drugs :eek:

I got sober only about 3 months before that Test, going for a new one soon. About to make a year sober in a week..

Before that I would just have spurts of sobriety through my early-mid twenties..

Literally I’d get drunk and party 5x a week if not a full 7 days with 2-3 day binges about 2-3 times a month... Bad.. lol

There is no point testing insulin levels, he's just doing that humor you.

You should be testing C-peptide

There is no point testing insulin levels, he's just doing that humor you.

You should be testing C-peptide

So Dr. Serrono and John Meadows are wrong?

Dr. Serrano and John Meadows are very knowledgeable but they are not endocrinologists that specialize in insulin testing. I'm fairly confident they would both be more interested in C-peptide levels than in fasting insulin levels themselves, read up on it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5446389/
Turns out bodybuilding gurus are not infallible :eek: Same goes for doctors, many of them are not that smart and/or don't know much about topics outside their specialization.

As pointed out before, measuring serum insulin does not make sense in a non-fasted state (unless you systematically combine an OGTT with an insulin assay, see https://www.whitelotusclinic.ca/blog/dr-fiona-nd/test-insulin-resistance/)

Also, Kaladryn is correct in pointing out that a c-peptide test is generally the better choice since measurement is more consistent and allows to distinguish between exogenous and endogenous insulin. Still, if fasted and keeping other factors like time of day when testing constant, serum insulin level is still a useful test.

Dr. Serrano and John Meadows are very knowledgeable but they are not endocrinologists that specialize in insulin testing. I'm fairly confident they would both be more interested in C-peptide levels than in fasting insulin levels themselves, read up on it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5446389/

I’m definitely going to bring up that test when I see my doc this week..

I’m starting a blast this week also; do you think I should hold off until after I see the doc/get bloods?

I’ll only be 2-3 days into Test/NPP but not sure if that little time could mess any numbers up?

Been on real 100-140mg TRT for about 9 months so wanted to get kind of a baseline with everything... And this panel in particular interested me..

Thanks

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420