over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Pec Tear

RoidRage300

Registered
I tore my pec at the bottom of a DB press today. It was the most horrible feeling. Doc doesn’t think it will need surgery.

Just needed to vent that. Anyone else ever tear a pec? Out of fucking no where, when life is good, gains are good, no reason. Very stressful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tore my pec at the bottom of a DB press today. It was the most horrible feeling. Doc doesn’t think it will need surgery.

Just needed to vent that. Anyone else ever tear a pec? Out of fucking no where, when life is good, gains are good, no reason. Very stressful

You got lucky I tore my pec tendon off the bone in the armpit area on incline it just snapped the weight came down on my chest luckily I had a spotter but 3 other guys needed to come pull off 365 off chest. They had to put me under cut me open and reattach it once the block wore off the pain was unreal. It could have been way worse

I feel terrible for you pec tear guys.

I always wanna know how to avoid tears
Do you guys stretch? Go too heavy?

I feel terrible for you pec tear guys.

I always wanna know how to avoid tears
Do you guys stretch? Go too heavy?
Once you get strong on pressing (especially benching), time to add volume and more reps, not more load

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Pre workout Pinning and 425 lbs. Worse thing I have Ever done in bodybuilding.
Aggravate the fibers Pre and add a 10lb plate to 4 plates.=== Dumb!

I had similiar story. I was doing incline on the smith machine. I believe mine was partial or something like this, i did tear some fibers on the upper part of the pec, but i do not have "hole" in the muscle. I used weight that i could do 8-10 reps, so it wasnt heavy. if i have to guess what caused it:

1) the incline bench was separate bench. you can move it an place it underneath the smith machine. i believe i placed it in a bad position for my structure. the bar was falling like 2 inches above the nipple. this puts additional strain and tension on the pec
2) i could warm up a bit more, i jumped through weights too fast

You guys that tore your pec, were your elbows out or tucked when doing inclines and did anything feel off a rep or two before it happened? I know we’re trying to hit chest here but there’s a sweet spot for everyone between having your elbows in enough.

I think consistent pinning of it DEFINITELY contributed to mine. I also wouldn't trust any doctor that doesn't have an intimate knowledge of it (sports med with tear experience).

warmed up, elbows tucked, weight felt light, no pins, spotter in place, feeling awesome, some xtra calories in the previous couple days
just my turn, that day: unlucky I guess

every rep is degenerative to some extent, so eventually, after being in line for many years, I was up next. Sounds like a similar tale to OP

i'm a big believer in keeping the shoulder blades tucked (retracted), as there is less shoulder rotation..

I've benched with shoulder blades retracted as well as protracted and the amount of tension/stress on the pec muscle when protracted is A LOT more...

I had similiar story. I was doing incline on the smith machine. I believe mine was partial or something like this, i did tear some fibers on the upper part of the pec, but i do not have "hole" in the muscle. I used weight that i could do 8-10 reps, so it wasnt heavy. if i have to guess what caused it:

1) the incline bench was separate bench. you can move it an place it underneath the smith machine. i believe i placed it in a bad position for my structure. the bar was falling like 2 inches above the nipple. this puts additional strain and tension on the pec
2) i could warm up a bit more, i jumped through weights too fast

Smith machine and bench of any kind is a recipe for disaster

First pec tear I ever saw happen in a gym was on a smith machine, and I've heard of more than a few people doing the same while using the smith.

Pinning chest also seems to greatly increase the likelihood. There was a thread awhile back on here about pec tears, and more than a few vets, including concreter mentioned they had pinned their chest and then the tear happened. So I've steered clear of ever pinning chest for that reason. So a big thank you to those guys for the words of warning on that.

As CM said though, sometimes your number is up and it just happens.

When pinning chest y'all need to stetch that shit even more, with a vicious massage.

Tore my left pec benching in March 2004 while training for apf master's nationals...the following week it took almost 50 reps with an empty bar just to touch the bar to my chest...10 weeks later I was doing 275 for 3x5...20 weeks to get back to 315 for 3x5...I have a nice lump in my pec that looks like a small turtle shell...what ya gonna do.......

I think I tore my left quad because of that. I had been injecting a lot in my quads and it was tight from that before lifting. I think I tore the fascia. It sounded like I torea t shirt in the gym. It got the attention of a guy about 25 feet or more from the squat rack because he heard the tear. He thought I had tore my lifting briefs.

Last edited:

Its all about recovery now if your certain surgery isn't needed. Focus on healing and getting better.

Had a couple partial tears and a full tear at 19. Best thing for me was just trying to keep my range of motion while healing. Afterwards I kept flat benching as I had it set in my mind I had to bench 500 raw in a meet. Focusing more on higher rep warm ups prevented future pec injuries. I didn’t have surgery just take your time.

Attachments

• 06382041-4182-416D-9277-9BB84AE4ADAD.jpeg
    06382041-4182-416D-9277-9BB84AE4ADAD.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 113

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member