YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Distal Bicep Tendon tear & surgery anyone?

wordomr

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
Anyone experience a distal bicep tendon tear and have surgery? If so, how was your experience / recovery / etc?

Currently in the early stages of post surgical repair here so wanted to get an idea of what I am facing recovery wise.

You can follow Calum Von Moger on Youtube. I believe he's going through his second surgery on his left distal bicep tear soon. From what I'm aware, your in a cast for a good 1.5-2 months followed by PT for an equal if not longer length of time. I believe full recovery is 6-9 months?

I had it done. I was never in a cast at all. Iv had 8 various joint reconstructions neck,knees, shoulder and bicep and the distal reaatachment was the easiest recovery and little to no pain. Never took any pain meds for it. And at 7 months I was pretty much fully recovered. Granted I rehabbed aggressively and every day of the week. No gear during the healing process steroids will slow the process down a lot stay clean until your arm looks and feels well again.

I had it done. I was never in a cast at all. Iv had 8 various joint reconstructions neck,knees, shoulder and bicep and the distal reaatachment was the easiest recovery and little to no pain. Never took any pain meds for it. And at 7 months I was pretty much fully recovered. Granted I rehabbed aggressively and every day of the week. No gear during the healing process steroids will slow the process down a lot stay clean until your arm looks and feels well again.

Eight?! I've had both shoulders (RC tears) repaired this year. My left last week.
How has your training changed to avoid future joint issues?

Let me know what questions you have. Tore mine 4th of July, had it fixed a few days later. Tore it again 15 weeks post surgery, currently 5 days post op on my second surgery.

- I was in a hard cast for a week post surgery.
- After the hard cast I was in a elbow ROM brace that limited the extension of my arm. Started at 60 degrees of extension, and every week after increased the range of motion by 10 degrees.
- 8 weeks post surgery removed the elbow ROM, and started PT twice a week for about two months.
-Went back to work for about a month and re-tore it.

- About week 8-9 I was back in the gym doing all movements, just taking it easy on biceps and back.

- Best advice, you will feel fine about the 12th week. However, be very careful of the fast jerky motions. This is how I tore mine again.

12 weeks after and I was able to train with the side again, albeit very light. Everything felt "weird" and the muscle would stop firing mid-set for no reason sometimes. No biggie, doc said push it as hard as I want.

I was feeling 100% at about 6 months after and almost back to all previous strength. Tore it again on barbell rows. Went to doc and it was just the muscle belly this time--as he had been aggressive during the surgery knowing that I would be training hard again and not only put a screw in, but a button too (in his words "you'll never tear the tendon again").

About 6 months after that I was back to ~100% and decided to go full tilt. Now I'm stronger than previous, although I still do not have full external rotation compared to the good arm and it sometimes does weird stuff in pressing movements (stops momentarily, then keeps going). I've talked to powerlifters with this surgery and they say similar things happen to them.

So to summarize: felt like 100% at 6 months but weird shit happened, better than 100% (mostly) at 1 year. The muscle looks fine, minus a small horizontal dent across the muscle belly from the second tear that only shows up in certain poses.

I train small body parts much much lighter these days. Lots of 30 rep stuff. Legs and back still get hammered pretty heavy. Chest is difficult to train after shoulder no 1 was fixed a lot of movements feel dangerous but Iv found wAys to train around that too. Lots of slow Reps super hard squeezing. Try and make light weights feel heavy and reall focus on the movement. Constant tension. Very few full range movements.

I had a buddy go through this and I guess it's my turn...

He had the distal tear repaired a week after the injury...and in 7 weeks was released to train again. LIGHT but got in the gym. By week 12 he was 100% recovered and had all his strength back.

Post procedure he used a bottle of BPC followed by several weeks of TB at a bottle a week and a moderate gh dose (3-4iu daily I think). Planning to do the same as well as crank up collagen protein intake, vitamin C, curcumin and calcium. Dropping down to 30mg test daily (from 45-50mg) as high anabolics generally slow recovery and I won't be training anyway for at least a month.

Any other healing aids/modalities/suggestions?

I had one, it all depends on how fast you get it fixed and what method or combination of methods the doctor uses, there are several. Some are stronger initially and have a longer recovery, others are weaker initially but have a quicker recovery. Most doctors match the method with the patient or they have a favorite method.

Follow your doctors advice, ask him lots of questions, see a good PT during recovery (Physical therapists are doctors, I'm not talking about a trainer).

I had one, it all depends on how fast you get it fixed and what method or combination of methods the doctor uses, there are several. Some are stronger initially and have a longer recovery, others are weaker initially but have a quicker recovery. Most doctors match the method with the patient or they have a favorite method.

Follow your doctors advice, ask him lots of questions, see a good PT during recovery (Physical therapists are doctors, I'm not talking about a trainer).

Unfortunately paying cash at this time so won't be utilizing a PT and will do my own rehab as best I can based on the doc's instructions...

this doc used tiny screws to repair my buddies arm as he also lifts weights and has an active lifestyle...the suture method heals quicker but isn't as strong.

Anyone experience a distal bicep tendon tear and have surgery? If so, how was your experience / recovery / etc?

Currently in the early stages of post surgical repair here so wanted to get an idea of what I am facing recovery wise.

How did you tear it?

Eight?! I've had both shoulders (RC tears) repaired this year. My left last week.
How has your training changed to avoid future joint issues?

holy shit, what are/were you guys into that beat you up so badly?

Genuinely curious..

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity