over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Leg Press

deadliftsquates

Registered
I have been doing this for a decade or two but I want everyones opinion on this range of motion on leg press. I see this all the time but its not how I go about it. I may not go as heavy but I really make an effort to go as low as I can. What are your thoughts?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6IirQqiT3I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6IirQqiT3I[/ame]

I think it is good to go as low as you can go without letting your ass come up off the back pad. I went too low once and really hurt my lower back bad. I also went too low once and ended up bruising my ribs really bad when my knees pressed too hard against them. My ribs hurt like hell every time I took a deep enough breath. The pain lasted for about 4 weeks.

Looks like he's doing a sumo press to target the hamstrings, you can't go as low on that.

I also herniated a disc in my back by going down too low. You need to go as deep as possible but be careful with your dept at the same time.

I used to go low. Had a partner pop a rib and one fuck a disc in his back. I also got really bad knee pain. Now I Keep a short range of motion and focus all attention on quads. If you go low your really bringing glutes and hams into play. Not that it’s a bad thing

I think it is good to go as low as you can go without letting your ass come up off the back pad. I went too low once and really hurt my lower back bad. I also went too low once and ended up bruising my ribs really bad when my knees pressed too hard against them. My ribs hurt like hell every time I took a deep enough breath. The pain lasted for about 4 weeks.

I had the same rib injury last summer. I was doing a hamstring focused variation (feet high on pad). It really sucked for about a month. Ive also found that I am susceptible to a nearly identical injury but on my back if I do barbell shrugs without standing very tall (any hunch in posture is a no no for me). The shrug injury made sneezing feel like I was being stabbed.

I had the same rib injury last summer. I was doing a hamstring focused variation (feet high on pad). It really sucked for about a month. Ive also found that I am susceptible to a nearly identical injury but on my back if I do barbell shrugs without standing very tall (any hunch in posture is a no no for me). The shrug injury made sneezing feel like I was being stabbed.

I would have never guessed I could bruise ribs doing leg presses. That is what it had to be though. Every breath hurts.

Sometimes it takes stress if your back if you don't slide all the way down into the bottom of the seat. This prevents your hips from curling up. Just a few inches up and it takes the pressure off.

first time i went to gym. back in 09, i was doing them, maybe went a little too heavy and on the way down i popped my groin area.
crawled up the stairs cuz it was a basement gym in the building. i was bruised down into my calf for weeks. could barely walk.
i still did them with feet low and out cuz i wanted to target the lower/inner part but always was careful.
ended up doing halfway motion, 3 second negative with 1 sec pause at bottom, felt way more effective that way than going heavy.
havent done legs in over a year now. dont miss it.

Looks like he's doing a sumo press to target the hamstrings, you can't go as low on that.

I also herniated a disc in my back by going down too low. You need to go as deep as possible but be careful with your dept at the same time.

I thought it might be an exercise I was unfamiliar with. Because if that is for the quads it doesn't appear that it would be real successful.

i used to be all for the full ROM knees to chest but i have three lumbar disc herniations to show for all my troubles. same for squats (OLY style all the way). Whether or not my injuries are related to this mindset is difficult but at this point i've been advised not to squat all the way because i have posterior pelvic tilt when going hams to ankles. long story short, my thoughts now are to stop ROM just short of posterior pelvic tilt (aka butt wink), which for a leg press might not feel like very much. However, you make the sets difficult by only going up 3/4 of the way and/or doing timed sets. the quads will work hard regardless of the reduced ROM.

I would have never guessed I could bruise ribs doing leg presses. That is what it had to be though. Every breath hurts.

Yes, definitely. My coach referred to it as a dislocated rib, but a friend of mine that is a doc said a rib cannot be dislocated and said its probably a bruised rib. Whatever it is, the pain is real!

Would be a good idea to film yourself from the side to gauge your current depth versus what would potentially be greater depth without going to far and risking injury.

Best ROM is to bring the primary mover into max flexion;
So for quads that max knee flexion (sidenote most ppl dont understand how to get into deep knee flexion which is why squating/Leg Press hurts their legs) which is generally the 90 degree mark, for hams/glutes that's as low as possible and working primarily in the bottom of the rep range so 5-20 degree mark.

Best ROM is to bring the primary mover into max flexion;
So for quads that max knee flexion (sidenote most ppl dont understand how to get into deep knee flexion which is why squating/Leg Press hurts their legs) which is generally the 90 degree mark, for hams/glutes that's as low as possible and working primarily in the bottom of the rep range so 5-20 degree mark.

This!

Would be a good idea to film yourself from the side to gauge your current depth versus what would potentially be greater depth without going to far and risking injury.

I will never be one of those fucks taking pictures or videos in the gym. Im well aware that is part to being in this profession but most of the gym members with their cameras out are not professional bodybuilders. Ok sorry that just annoys the fuck out of me.

Full rom should only be to the point that you start to lose neutral spine. Anything more flexes the lumbar spine and will ruin you. You aren't winning any trophies for making your knees tough your chest and you aren't making thousands of dollars doing. Be smart you only have 1bpdy.body

I do both but recently I have been going as low as possible a lot more. I use a wide stance so I can bring my legs as back as possible. I even stick out my toes as well. I feel safe doing it this way as long as I don't go crazy with the weight.

Now the way he is doing them still works great even if his ROM is very short. Although it will keep constant tension on the quads. I have only ever had 2 vids done of me in the gym and they were years ago. This thread makes me think of that though. I have posted it a few times so apologies if you have seen it but I literally have no others :eek::D It must be over 6 years old.

In this video my rom is not alot but more than Rhodens. I recall I had just injured my back very badly and I couldn't even do 1 plate deadlifts or squats at the time so I was extra careful. I still used to push it crazy hard though. Here this vid I got 54 reps with 12 plates (6ppps) at the end of one of my massive leg workouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kixWH3kVjjs&feature=youtu.be

I will never be one of those fucks taking pictures or videos in the gym. Im well aware that is part to being in this profession but most of the gym members with their cameras out are not professional bodybuilders. Ok sorry that just annoys the fuck out of me.

I'm with you brother.....old school would get your ass kicked out of the gym (after getting punched)...they do it so they can post it to Instagram...lol

I'm with you brother.....old school would get your ass kicked out of the gym (after getting punched)...they do it so they can post it to Instagram...lol

I now get updated pics taken in the gym due to the lighting but I couldn't be any further than your typical IG poser. I don't even take my phone to the gym and the times I have gotten pics it was with my gf. It's funny when you see them taking endless pics. A set of abs and they look at their stomach to see if they suddenly have a 6 pack :eek::D It doesn't bother me as people can do what they want I just find it funny. Although I tell my gf all the time just have fun and who cares about pics cos she always wants to have great IG pics so every holiday or trip she has her phone out constantly.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws