Unexpected Benefits of Whey Protein

johnjuanb1

Featured Member / Sponsor Rep
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Sponsors

Potential Health Benefits of Whey Protein
As an old Italian proverb goes, “If you want to live a healthy and active life, drink whey.” Looking at the studies on whey protein so far, it seems that modern science agrees too. Here, we look at just some of the interesting research on this milky leftover.
Lower blood pressure. A research published in International Dairy Journal suggested that whey protein drinks may help to lower blood pressure in adults who are hypertensive, but not in subjects who did not have elevated pressure.
Prevent prostate cancer. Whey protein may help to prevent prostate cancer according to a lab study. When food scientists from Ohio State University exposed human prostate cells to whey protein, the glutathione levels in the cells increased by up to 64 percent. Glutathione is a type of antioxidant that protects cells from free radical damages which scientists believed can lead to cancer.
Lower intestinal inflammation. Glycomacropeptide, a protein found in whey, was found to reduce intestinal inflammation comparable to that of anti-inflammatory drug sulfasalazine in rats with chemically-induced colitis.
Improve insulin sensitivity. In a Swedish study, whey protein was found to be useful in blood sugar control. When participants with type II diabetes ate high glycemic index meals with whey protein, they registered higher insulin responses and lower spikes in blood glucose levels after meals than when whey was not included.
Increase muscle growth and strength. When combined with weight training, whey protein is shown to promote muscle growth and muscular strength in active people. This is believed to be the works of branched amino acids, especially leucine, found in whey protein that promote protein synthesis.
Anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and anti-microbial effects. A minor protein called lactoferrin found in whey protein has been a subject of active research, and rightly so. As it has demonstrated anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties in several studies on lab animals. Lactoferrin is found to boost immunity to prevent cancer, and yet at the same time is able to suppress immune responses to block inflammatory disease.
Reduce colon cancer risk. Whey protein may reduce the risk of colon cancer. In animal studies where colon cancer was induced, rats that were fed whey diet had significantly lower incidence of colon tumors than animals that were fed casein diet.

I got a great deal on quality whey isolate a while ago so I stocked up. I would say about 80% of my protein intake has been from whey isolate for the last 3 months. Nice to know I'm doing good things for myself other than just getting a high protein intake. Thanks for posting this JJb1.

I know lots of guys have digestion issues due to whey (it used to be worse when lots of companies used concentrate) but my stomach actually tolerates whey the most. I used limited whey for 2 years, using a TN creation very similar to Skip's Blend. Basically a whey iso, casein and egg white mix. Added in some pea isolate to drop cost down as well. But after a couple months of that i get bad digestion and bloating. I had used it as a meal replacement to mimic the digestion timing of a whole food meal but it sucked. If i had a shake it was actually difficult for me to get my next meal in 2-3 hrs later. Went back to quality whey iso and feel great. I throw in some liquid egg whites in sometimes and no discomfort from that either.

Not for nuttin.... I'm Italian and i've never heard this before

“If you want to live a healthy and active life, drink whey.” ..........different strokes for different folks.... Whey, IMO is crap

I know lots of guys have digestion issues due to whey (it used to be worse when lots of companies used concentrate) but my stomach actually tolerates whey the most. I used limited whey for 2 years, using a TN creation very similar to Skip's Blend. Basically a whey iso, casein and egg white mix. Added in some pea isolate to drop cost down as well. But after a couple months of that i get bad digestion and bloating. I had used it as a meal replacement to mimic the digestion timing of a whole food meal but it sucked. If i had a shake it was actually difficult for me to get my next meal in 2-3 hrs later. Went back to quality whey iso and feel great. I throw in some liquid egg whites in sometimes and no discomfort from that either.

I find if I go over four or five scoops a day digestion isn't as efficient. Digestive enzymes, probiotics, Metamucil etc doesn't make this any better. I use a third party tested isolate.

Egg whites are something I cannot drink. They have to be cooked. In theory I should be able to as they are pasteurized, but things get gross if I do. It's a shame as the taste doesn't bother me when mixed with a bit of almond milk and it goes down so easy. The volume of egg whites when cooked would be a chore to eat in larger quantities.

Whey, IMO is crap

Do you think there is a better alternative other than whole food? I think most people just buy whey out of force of habit now. Are there any other powders out there that are a good source of protein and don't taste awful?

Normally I'm around 9 scoops Daily... Now, Iso-Whey...Plus 1/2 Gallon of Milk.
I'll incorporate a couple Iso-pures as Well.
Post I'll mix up Egg and Beef proteins.
Cocotiens are another Staple!

Whenever I drink a whey isolate shake I also eat one or two pieces of high fiber bread, and one measured tablespoon of peanut, almond, or cashew butter. This slows the digestion of the whey. It also keeps me from doing several ab workouts per day sitting on the toilet trying to push all that whey through me. Fiber is a very good idea when consuming alot of whey, or any type of protein.

Agree! I can live on whey isolate/oats/almond butter/banana shakes

Respect

Madg

Are there any other powders out there that are a good source of protein and don't taste awful?
I saw a guy post about RedCon MRE a couple months ago, I've been using it now for about 8 weeks, it's amazing.

I saw a guy post about RedCon MRE a couple months ago, I've been using it now for about 8 weeks, it's amazing.
It’s more of a meal replacement than a protein powder
Here is the ingredient profile for the blueberry cobbler flavor
6BE025C1-45DE-4CD1-A07B-1CC99D59EE21.jpeg

Do you think there is a better alternative other than whole food?

Nope.... just whole foods for me.. i'll do EAAs intra...thats it.

Whey protein and some other key ingredients and you can make a protein shake that can taste better than any shake out there on the market. And when you make your own, you actually “KNOW” how healthy it is.

I find if I go over four or five scoops a day digestion isn't as efficient. Digestive enzymes, probiotics, Metamucil etc doesn't make this any better. I use a third party tested isolate.

Egg whites are something I cannot drink. They have to be cooked. In theory I should be able to as they are pasteurized, but things get gross if I do. It's a shame as the taste doesn't bother me when mixed with a bit of almond milk and it goes down so easy. The volume of egg whites when cooked would be a chore to eat in larger quantities.

Do you think there is a better alternative other than whole food? I think most people just buy whey out of force of habit now. Are there any other powders out there that are a good source of protein and don't taste awful?

I agree with MTF that whole food is where it’s at buuuuuut because sometimes I can’t get all my protein requirements through food due to my schedule I can tell you Egg White Protein is damn great.. 2 Scoops is 50g protein, goes down easy and digests easy as hell... I can literally eat a large meal 30min-1hr after with zero issues which i usually do post workout..

And I have terrible issues with whey and bloating and indigestion and just like you stated with drinking egg whites, I can drink them but then I shit and fart like crazy... ZERO of those issues with the Egg White Protein... I use TN brand with EAA and Electrolytes mixed in..

You can get all your protein from whey if you want and still see results. Lol I lived if whey and ground oats years ago. Ha stomache shrunk so much I could t even eat a solid meal without getting sick. I prefer solid food now though. Makes me feel fuller. Shakes are rare for me and get all most all my protein from lean beef. About 2.5lbs a day currently.

You can get all your protein from whey if you want and still see results. Lol I lived if whey and ground oats years ago. Ha stomache shrunk so much I could t even eat a solid meal without getting sick. I prefer solid food now though. Makes me feel fuller. Shakes are rare for me and get all most all my protein from lean beef. About 2.5lbs a day currently.
I used to live on whey and oats. The reason I searched for this info is because I’m so sick of eating food. It’s very important to me that I don’t have foods that cause inflammation. I always assumed whey, being that it’s from milk, would cause inflammation. My spine has very little disk space left. Over the holidays I ate junk for 4 days and my sciatica acted up for the first time in 1 1/2 years which scares the shit out of me. I had a theory it was due to an inflammatory response to eating sugar and bad fats. I was so pleased to find this article on whey protein because eating my body weight in protein lately sounds so unappealing. Today, my sciatica is much better after eating clean again. I’m hoping it remains good so I don’t have to get spine surgery.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131