over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Reverse Hypers

Dens228

Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
A little history..............I competed in powerlifting many years ago and had competition squats in the mid 800's and deadlift PR of 705 at 220. During that time the only injury type issues were shoulder and elbow stuff, nothing surgery causing, and a partially torn quad from being stupid making weight and being dehydrated at a meet.
Fast forward to about six years ago when I hurt my lower back picking up a piece of paper from the floor, stuck on the floor for 45 minutes before someone heard me, off the ER, no structural damage, two doses of morphine and a bunch of muscle relaxants and I was back 100% in about 3-4 days. Four years ago I woke up with massive spasms, chiro trips and I was back to normal in about a week. Four months ago I was down for four days of being unable to stand for more than a few minutes, and am still dealing with the tightness. I started using an inversion table every day which has helped but only by alleviating the tightness, I've realized I need to not get tight and sore in the first place as I'm not ready to have this be my new reality. I need to progressively strengthen my lower back. I already work abs regularly and stretch religiously.

With all that as the history, now for what I'm looking for. I purchased a reverse hyper bench a week ago. I start EVERY workout with a light, controlled set of 15-20 reps to warm up and stretch my back. On back workout days I end with three sets of 12 reps and plan on slowly progressing on those three sets. I then end every workout with the inversion table.

Who here can add some insight or tweeks to my plan? Any experience with the reverse hyper?

Aside from strengthening your core areas, make sure your hamstrings are as flexible as possible as well as the glute and hip muscles.

I fractured my L1 vertebrae during a high speed canopy (parachute) swoop across dirt - I hit a dust devil going ~70mph while laid out horizontally 6 feet over the ground and slammed back first into the ground lol

After recovering I have had similar episodes as you have had hurting myself picking up stupid light shit (although I was never hospitalized). I think I have a nerve pinched or something but I dunno.

I just want to say I think you're on the right track man. Reverse hypers were (are) gold for me. I also just "chase the pump" with deadlifts now. My deadlift was nowhere close to yours back in the day (about half lol) but now I no longer go heavy on it, I just rep out as a stretch and general fitness. High reps and higher frequency of training have helped me the most.

My reasoning is if I can't hit an area as heavy as I like to because of joints (shoulders are similar for me because of past sports injuries/abuse), then I hit them FREQUENTLY and with a lot of volume.

Aside from strengthening your core areas, make sure your hamstrings are as flexible as possible as well as the glute and hip muscles.
I stretch religiously, always have... DoggCrapp training! LOL

Reactions: Bio
I fractured my L1 vertebrae during a high speed canopy (parachute) swoop across dirt - I hit a dust devil going ~70mph while laid out horizontally 6 feet over the ground and slammed back first into the ground lol

After recovering I have had similar episodes as you have had hurting myself picking up stupid light shit (although I was never hospitalized). I think I have a nerve pinched or something but I dunno.

I just want to say I think you're on the right track man. Reverse hypers were (are) gold for me. I also just "chase the pump" with deadlifts now. My deadlift was nowhere close to yours back in the day (about half lol) but now I no longer go heavy on it, I just rep out as a stretch and general fitness. High reps and higher frequency of training have helped me the most.

My reasoning is if I can't hit an area as heavy as I like to because of joints (shoulders are similar for me because of past sports injuries/abuse), then I hit them FREQUENTLY and with a lot of volume.
It's funny how back in my younger years I thought if I was going to go over 10 reps I might as well quit lifting and run marathons. Now anything under 10 reps is counter productive.

^ YEP! same exact experience man....I used to stay around 3-5 reps in my 20s lol

The thought of triples on deadlift mildly terrifies me right now, I can literally feel it in my back just thinking about it...

I've got the same problem as you and it sounds like you're doing everything you can. I tried reverse hypers and I could barely walk for a couple of days. I think I was doing them wrong. Now I just use a machine at the gym for low back, the one that's like the ab machine in reverse.

Not sure how lean you are, but losing bodyfat has a dramatic effect on back pain. Especially since guys carry so much extra fat around the waist, that's pulling down in the front and puts stress on low back. Losing just 10 pounds provides me with a lot of relief.

^ YEP! same exact experience man....I used to stay around 3-5 reps in my 20s lol

The thought of triples on deadlift mildly terrifies me right now, I can literally feel it in my back just thinking about it...
So many exercises I dont even do anymore. My old favorite bent over barbell rows I really miss doing.

Maldorf might be on point. Case in point, I can't play with a lot of things that throw on water because I carry it in my chest, and my back complains simply when I stand up. Every pound of weight you add to your chest equates to exponentially greater pounds of force on your lower back.

Maldorf might be on point. Case in point, I can't play with a lot of things that throw on water because I carry it in my chest, and my back complains simply when I stand up. Every pound of weight you add to your chest equates to exponentially greater pounds of force on your lower back.
I think the weight is ok if its muscle since the whole body is growing at the same rate and low back muscles should be keeping up as well as abdominal. Problem is with putting on fat since it accumulates in places that put extra stress on the back while the muscles that support the core are too weak for the added stress.

I just got back in the gym after a 3 month layoff from my health problems. Lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks and picked up a little strength. Most of the improvement is just losing fat. My back feels so much better.

The reverse hyper despite its Glory won't do too much for you, I'm not saying don't use it or it's a waste though. Chris duffin has a good video on why, I'll pull it up once I'm off work.

The reverse hyper despite its Glory won't do too much for you, I'm not saying don't use it or it's a waste though. Chris duffin has a good video on why, I'll pull it up once I'm off work.
I'd like to see that.

For my experience with the reverse hyper, do it with bent knees for full ROM with a med ball squeezed between your thighs. Thank me later.

I've got the same problem as you and it sounds like you're doing everything you can. I tried reverse hypers and I could barely walk for a couple of days. I think I was doing them wrong. Now I just use a machine at the gym for low back, the one that's like the ab machine in reverse.

Not sure how lean you are, but losing bodyfat has a dramatic effect on back pain. Especially since guys carry so much extra fat around the waist, that's pulling down in the front and puts stress on low back. Losing just 10 pounds provides me with a lot of relief.
My weight is ok. I'm actually walking around at around 225, you can see my abs but I'm not ripped. When I was competing at the end of my career I'd walk around at 252-253 and compete at 242. But I know what you're saying. I just had that conversation with my brother who doesn't work out, is about 50 pounds overweight, and has lower back issues.

Has any one used the lying leg curl as a reverse hypertension machine. I have seen one of the very fit women using it. I swear i was only watching for educational purposes.

I know, not as cool as a reverse hyper, but side planks seem to help my back allot.

The problem with directly strengthening your lower back (or maybe better, the exercises that do just that) is that it's always going to compress your spine to some degree which can again pose new issues in the long run. I've had 4 back surgeries already, often have tightness etc. and I was told by my orthopaedic surgeon to avoid anything that compresses my spine and to especially train abs hard every day. I know that if I use one of those lower back machines for instance (even for high reps), my back doesn't feel good afterwards. Vice versa, even if it's very tight that day, after one good hard set of weighted crunches, it feels a lot better. I see you're already using an inversion table as do I on a daily basis. Medical science thinks they are BS and possibly even damaging but that's one thing I'm not going to listen to my ortho about.

Just my 2 cents as a fellow back-pain sufferer.

The problem with directly strengthening your lower back (or maybe better, the exercises that do just that) is that it's always going to compress your spine to some degree which can again pose new issues in the long run. I've had 4 back surgeries already, often have tightness etc. and I was told by my orthopaedic surgeon to avoid anything that compresses my spine and to especially train abs hard every day. I know that if I use one of those lower back machines for instance (even for high reps), my back doesn't feel good afterwards. Vice versa, even if it's very tight that day, after one good hard set of weighted crunches, it feels a lot better. I see you're already using an inversion table as do I on a daily basis. Medical science thinks they are BS and possibly even damaging but that's one thing I'm not going to listen to my ortho about.

Just my 2 cents as a fellow back-pain sufferer.
My inversion table has helped me tremendously. I use it after I exercise at the gym, each day. My chiropractor thinks it is a good idea too. When I go to see him he uses the decompression table on me, where there is a motor that basically pulls you apart. Right after I finish doing the stretching out my back does hurt a bit but after about 5 minutes I feel great.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear