over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How much protein do you eat and why.???

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Not wanting to start arguments on how much is enough or to much or any of that
I’m just wondering what you daily protein intake is and why you have decided on that , whether it be Experience , what a coach taught you , science or whatever

For me personally I shoot for 400g Protein a day (roughly 1.5g per pound) and 125g Fat (1/2g per pound. This has me is a reasonable calorie deficit which I make up the missing calories with carbs to reduce the deficit or cause a surplus. When I diet I still keep protein at least at 350g and reduce calories via carbs and fats

I’ve seen some videos and articles that say it’s beneficial to have a big protein surplus during a growing phase (Milos and a couple others)
I’ve contemplated bumping the protein into up to 500g a day (roughly 2g per pound) which wil still have me in a slight deficit with I can add 200-300g carbs to bring me into s bit of a surplus.

We know that carbs are protein sparing so more carbs reduces the need for more protein
We also know that excess protein (calories) can cause fat gain but I don’t think that having say 500 extra calorie from protein would be the same as having 500 extra calorie from carbs due to the protein thermic effect from being harder to digest.

So , what is your preferred dose of protein during a growing phase as well as when dieting

I would take in at least 1.5 grams/pound a day while growing of good quality protein not including what I got from my carb sources. And would up it to at least 1.75grams/pound a day while dieting to make sure I had enough as well as making up for the aminos that I would not be getting from my carbs as I would be eating less of them.

I'm thinking my GI system and gastric clearing are much better when I don't have too much protein, though that changes when it's a PSMF. 250 is usually ideal for me, so a little more than 1g/1lb. I believe more gear/growth means more benefit from a high protein diet.

2 grams/pound a day for me is the best for growing,i feel great and even stay lot leaner in off season...Milos and Dante know their stuff,high protein for me works the best

I'm 215 and probably average around 250g a day. If I'm first getting back to low carb, I'll eat basically however much I want. I've eaten fairly low protein before and I really don't know if it made that big of a difference. Hell, I basically eat more now because I'm hungry. I've tried it again recently and I can't do it lol... I love my meat.

I cut back to 100-120 grams per day several years ago and there has been absolutely no negative change in my physique or strength. On a positive note my stomach and lower GI tract have both improved immensely. I also increased my healthy fats and I'm convinced this has resulted in more muscle fullness! I have no science to back this up other than I just plain like it!!!!

I like 200 g when growing with 400 g carb and 100 g fat

Cuting i up protein as i drop fats and carb cycle

Im not huge though and i hate to overeat and i hate “ bulking “ i never do it

I've been eating about 50-75g per day since around December/January, I ate 75g per day from the start of 2017 to the end of 2019. In these years all my measurements are exactly the same and strength has not been negatively affected in any way. I'm pretty strongly against the protein hype in bodybuilding, but I'm one of the very, very few (Warrior Soul Agoge and Dr. Nun Amen Ra follow similar "very low" protein/very low calorie diets) (I put very low in quotes because outside of bodybuilding circles, 75-100g of protein is actually considered very high).

I think people are always curious or quick to assume I must be tiny to be eating so little, I'm certainly not huge at all but these are my measurements while following this diet, literally taken right now:

Height 5'8 (sometimes 5'9), weight 194
Neck 19.25
Chest 45
Arms 17.5
Waist 30.5
Legs 25

My neck has increased a bit, been training it intensely since it's one of the few things I can still go all-out with during the pandemic, trying to get it to 20inches, so that's neck growth without almost no waist growth, on 50g of protein and 100mg/wk of TRT test. Not saying it's right or wrong, just putting the numbers out there.

I stumbled by this accidentally in 2017 when I was having major GI issues and had to drastically cut down on food and protein. Thought I would shrink, a year later I took measurements and to my surprise, everything was exactly the same except my waist which was 2 inches smaller. Protein is expensive so logically if I get the same results on 50g per day as I do on 200g per day, I'm going to use that money on other things. In January I cut it down to mostly 50g, it's April, I haven't trained in a real gym in almost a month, and I'm still the same size. I can only surmise that while protein is essential to muscle growth, that doesn't mean you need a massive overdose of it, in my case it was just keeping more body fat on me. YMMV, don't copy what I do.

I do about 250, usually end up landing around 300 because I only track total calories. I personally think too high can be bad for kidneys but have no proof of it, thats why I don't go higher.

300-350, but think I will bring it down and see what happens over this Covid-break.

2g per pound is completely stupid. does nothing at all for you except waste money.
1.5g per pound same thing.
aint gonna "grow" any faster than if u were 1g per pound. eating 300 pounds of protein in a year to gain 10 pounds of "mass"......smart

6x meals ED - 40-50grams per meal (some meals have whole eggs added)- 240g-260 grams. I think id personally cap it at 280-300g absolute tops.

50 grams daily via protein shake and whatever I get from daily meals. My goals now are not really connected to bodybuilding via growing but more towards the goal of not looking like I visit buffets 3 or 4 times per week.

A freak like Justin comton said om a radio show he did not go over 300 grams more protein did not =more mass.

He would more carbs.

I dont go over 250 i ude to do 350 to 450.
I see No change with lower protein

~200g. I don't really notice a difference going higher. There might be something small I haven't noticed but like liv2pb said I don't want them kidney problems either.

A freak like Justin comton said om a radio show he did not go over 300 grams more protein did not =more mass.

He would more carbs.

I dont go over 250 i ude to do 350 to 450.
I see No change with lower protein
What Justin says and what he did is two different things ... Justin coaching my friend currently and gave him 2g of protein per pound of body weight

Personally, I used different amounts of protein but always not less than 1.5g per pound but the best results when it comes to muscle growth I had at 2g per pound and that's what I stick with, above this value digestive problems begin.

I think a lot of the stomach distention I had many years ago was from consuming far too much protein. Sometimes between 4-500 grams a day. I’d drink 5/6 50grm shakes then all the food I was eating. Always had a turtle belly back then. Powerlifting and strongman diet. I was just trying to gain weight. Lots of food lots of test. Many years later, after having my Gaul bladder removed and basically having to learn how to eat all over again. Stopped using protein powders altogether. Just ate food and My body composition changed dramatically in a few months. Most days under 150 grams sometime a lot less but Still put on muscle and got stronger. It just looked different. It looked better. And my stomach went back to being flat and could even suck in a pretty decent vacuum again. Not sure why it worked that way but I’m about to do it again

300-350, but think I will bring it down and see what happens over this Covid-break.

Hawkmoon, you are a bright guy with loads of experience and a great physique to
prove it.

Lowering your protein . . . you won't notice a thing. Guaranteed if you stay within
the RDA. (I know people who have gained muscle on lot less protein.) And you will
feel better too.

I also suspect you are not in a growing faze, maintaining what you have being a
priority. (Think age, health.)

Personally, I would just eat a 'normal' diet, don't stress the protein, it will be what
it will be. But do keep track of the overall calories, just don't get fat unless you need
to (too lean).

This high protein obsession (not saying you) is just that . . . an obsession with no
real science supporting i.e. anything beyond the RDA. Just follow the RDA and you
are good to go. As you lose and gain muscle just adjust you protein in accordance
to your weight. Easy peasy.

Just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner