over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fouad Abiad: Justin Harris on Carb Cycling

What I find interesting is that as analytical as Justin is, he almost seems to implement an IIFYM approach to diets. But I guess that's a lot better than being strict with people, telling them they can't eat this and that, and have them go off their diet just from the monotony.

IIFYM became it's own monster, though. It used to be that if you didn't like oatmeal, you could have sweet potatoes. Now it's turned into if you don't like brown rice, you can have Gummy bears lol. Which I guess still works fine with a lot of guys...

Going to watch this tonight!

Justin's a really bright guy. He talked about in an older podcast about a brief period where he bailed on bodybuilding to study physics; got his masters in atomic energy and was on track for a doctorate program. Anybody who's studied hard sciences knows the real brainiacs are the math and physics guys.

Going to watch this for sure when I have time. The EliteFTS Table Talk he did with Dave Tate was awesome. Definitely recommend that one too.

What I find interesting is that as analytical as Justin is, he almost seems to implement an IIFYM approach to diets. But I guess that's a lot better than being strict with people, telling them they can't eat this and that, and have them go off their diet just from the monotony.

IIFYM became it's own monster, though. It used to be that if you didn't like oatmeal, you could have sweet potatoes. Now it's turned into if you don't like brown rice, you can have Gummy bears lol. Which I guess still works fine with a lot of guys...

The genesis of things is weird, right? You had the 70s and 80s where it was reasonable and fine to sub a potato for rice and vice versa. You could eat turkey instead of chicken etc or instead of 6 meals eat 4 but the total food equals out and all of that was no big deal. Or hell I had an old school bber in my family and he used to say he'd sometime have a piece of pie post workout instead of a pile of potatoes as long as the calories equaled out. Somehow in the 90's and 00's we moved to "if you don't eat 6.2354 ounces of chicken at 12:11pm you won't succeed" which then brought us to what I like to call "the age of the poptart". In this era, which was big time from roughly 2008-2018, the entire life goal was to figure out how and if you can substitute a poptart for a carb like rice and most importantly post it on social media.

Sort of funny how things work.

Oddly enough, I've been experimenting with insulin on leg days, 2x a week, and I'd say it works great once you nail down the diet and find your "tolerances". I'm not even close to the high carb days of 1,000 he has some folks on, but next "bulk" I'll get there.

3 on, 1 off for me. Leg days always after the rest day. 250 carbs on low days (arms/off), 600 high (legs), 350 medium (back/chest/shoulder days). Insulin on leg days only. I'm 19.5 weeks away from a show I want to do, and I plan on running this insulin protocol for prep. I just haven't figured out if I'm keeping it in all prep or not. I may create a log for others to follow along since I'm anticipating some great changes.

loved this interview, watched most of it twice already.

Going to watch this tonight!

Justin's a really bright guy. He talked about in an older podcast about a brief period where he bailed on bodybuilding to study physics; got his masters in atomic energy and was on track for a doctorate program. Anybody who's studied hard sciences knows the real brainiacs are the math and physics guys.

Atomic physics by education, I think, but never worked in that field. Instead went to work as an (I wanna say materials?) engineer, loved what he did, but said the money in coaching and supplements is much better lol Just the idea of being your own boss, too. Hey, what the engineering field lost, we gained...

That’s not Justin’s approach though. On high carb days when your carbs are extremely high he allows you to get half of your carbs from sugars Aslong as it’s below 3g of fat per serving.

An example would be for a meal with 150g of carbs you can have 75g from rice and the other 75g from orange juice.

It’s definitely not an IIFYM approach.

That’s not Justin’s approach though. On high carb days when your carbs are extremely high he allows you to get half of your carbs from sugars Aslong as it’s below 3g of fat per serving.

An example would be for a meal with 150g of carbs you can have 75g from rice and the other 75g from orange juice.

It’s definitely not an IIFYM approach.

Not talking about the loading, but his general approach to dieting clients. In the video, he states he more or less tells you the macros to hit and gives you a food list.

I worked with Justin and his food list is typical bodybuilding foods. He does give macros but it was your normal chicken and rice. He did allow me a cheat meal on my high days for my meal 6.

Haha. He said, "if you don't have meat and rice in your diet, you're not doing what I want"

Almost makes me want to try (and fail miserably at) a carb based diet again.

Finally watching this, justin drops some bombs and fouad just sits there and utters out garbage like he's qualified for something other than selling supplements to kids.

A1C > fasted BG for insulin assessment
Insulin use to grow leaner or diet tighter
Osmolality rather than GI index for loads
Rates of growth and change

Splendid

His food list most certainly isn’t IIFYM. Justin doesn’t even like Greek yoghurt!

Which kinda shocked me when I heard that. I love Greek Yogurt, damnit lol. What's his beef with it? I take it he basically thinks it's more for taste and an excuse to have something sweet? I love either it or cottage cheese with dark berries preworkout and before bed. I don't do the higher sugar stuff, just stuff like Triple Zero. A little processed, I know... Probably why he doesn't like it.

Haha. He said, "if you don't have meat and rice in your diet, you're not doing what I want"

Almost makes me want to try (and fail miserably at) a carb based diet again.

yeah, i hear you usmuscle. i've seen dante mention it in the past few weeks as well as dusty where they've said that as they've gotten bigger and bigger, it's MUCH easier to stay leaner than it was when they were smaller/had a lot less muscle mass. That's why you see a lot of these mass monsters eating some junk each day (and/or eating a shitload of carbs most days of the week) yet remaining lean.

it really seems like these higher carb (chicken/rice 6x/day, etc...) diets tend to work better for guys that already have a decent amount of muscle mass... Obviously everybody's different and responds best to different ways of eating, but I've found that for guys who are clean or for guys who don't necessarily have a ton of muscle mass tend to do better with higher fats and lower to moderate carbs.. It's not a blanket statement, but just my observation over the years..

And I'm not talking about you, usmuscle, as I have no idea how big you are... just saying "in general"

Jamie Johal and James Hollingshead both talked about this a bunch.
The BIG dudes have an insanely high maintenance calorie range due to holding so much muscle.
They can basically afford to eat some shit at the end of the day and it basically having no effect on them physically....
THat, plus the fact that just going on 30 min walks burns a TON of calories for them (that's their cardio) is insane.

If you're 180lbs lean, cheating every week will fuck you and you'll NEED some brutal cardio to stay lean.

yeah, i hear you usmuscle. i've seen dante mention it in the past few weeks as well as dusty where they've said that as they've gotten bigger and bigger, it's MUCH easier to stay leaner than it was when they were smaller/had a lot less muscle mass. That's why you see a lot of these mass monsters eating some junk each day (and/or eating a shitload of carbs most days of the week) yet remaining lean.

it really seems like these higher carb (chicken/rice 6x/day, etc...) diets tend to work better for guys that already have a decent amount of muscle mass... Obviously everybody's different and responds best to different ways of eating, but I've found that for guys who are clean or for guys who don't necessarily have a ton of muscle mass tend to do better with higher fats and lower to moderate carbs.. It's not a blanket statement, but just my observation over the years..

And I'm not talking about you, usmuscle, as I have no idea how big you are... just saying "in general"

Finally watching this, justin drops some bombs and fouad just sits there and utters out garbage like he's qualified for something other than selling supplements to kids.

A1C > fasted BG for insulin assessment
Insulin use to grow leaner or diet tighter
Osmolality rather than GI index for loads
Rates of growth and change

Splendid

Fuck me. Fouad is the last damn person that should host a podcast. I no shit stopped listening because of how many times he interrupted Justin as he's just starting to speak.

Fuck me. Fouad is the last damn person that should host a podcast. I no shit stopped listening because of how many times he interrupted Justin as he's just starting to speak.

i don’t think he means it on purpose. He just try’s to get guys who are super knowledgable to say it in the best way the majority of guys will understand

He’s horrible. He does it with every single guest.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear