over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Designing a full body workout/ help critique

tkav1980

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I've been researching full body routines and the challenge I'm having is exercise selection limited by available equipment.
Therefore, I think beginning with available equipment is a good place to start:
Power rack
Flat bench
Barbell with 405 lbs in 45 lb plates
adjustable dumbells : I can load at max 90 lbs on a single dumbell but there isnt enough weight to load 2. PLate selection of 1 inch plates is extremely limited
Home made single pully cable with attachments

Available for purchase based on current inventory:
Various handles for pully
cast iron plates with 1 inch hole

Based on what I've researched exercise selection and rotation of focused body parts is essential ( Nippard cites sources on this) focusing on a different muscle group each day and working all every day as well. If I can't rotate the exercises properly, a 3 day full body split seems most effective.
So the first question would be 3 or 5 day split?

Onto proposed 5 day:
day 1
Squat focus 4x5 weight adjusted to leave 2 to 3 reps in the tank on the final set
Flat bench 3x 10-12
pull ups 3 x 10
lateral raises 3 x 10
SLDL 4x 5
concentration curl 3 x 10
dumbell overhead tricep extension 3 x 10
seated calf raises plates on thighs 3 x 15

Day 2
Chest focus :
Flat bench 4 x 5
Front squats 3 x 10
barbell row 3 x 10
standing shoulder press 3 x 12
SLDL 3 x 12
dumbell curl 3 x 10
tricep cable push down 3 x 10
hanging leg raises

Day 3
Back focus
Deadlift 4 x 5
upright rows 3 x 10
squat 3 x 10
standing leg curl 3 x 10
bench press 3 x 10
barbell curl 3 x 15 (weight option limited)
Straight bar skull crushers 3 x 10

Day 4
Shoulder focus
Standing shoulder press 2x 5
Front squat 3 x 10
SLDL 3 x 10
Lateral raises 2 x 5
T-Bar Row 3 x 10
Weighted chest dips 3 x 10
seated dumbell curl 3 x 10
close grip bench press 3 x 10
Abs

Day 5
Arm focus
Close grip bench press 4 x 5
pull ups 3 x 10
concentration curls 4 x 5
squat 3 x 10
upright row 3 x 10
standing leg curl 3 x 10
slight decline bench press ( plates under flat bench) 3 x 10
Abs

I may need to start in the 2 set range and see how I recover and what kind if intensity to employ based on recovery. With my limited equipment, I'm having trouble coming up with more but currently equipment is hard to come by. A simple adjustable bench would add more variety as well as more olympic plate options and the 1 inch plates for the dumbells.

Please critique and let me know if you see any holes or if due to limited selection a 3 day split would work better for overall growth.

Frequency is also a variable in progressive overload, so it would be logical to start at 3 days and work your way up... Unless that is what you are already doing?

Question, why a full body program and why run it 5 days a week? I would do a 3 day split over 5 any day of the week but just wondering why the need to transition back to a FB?

I’m only asking because IMO full body won’t u the required stimulus to advance any bodypart. I guess that has more to do with your goals tho. Beginners can make big jumps on full body programs, but as you progress, more specialization is needed.

Either way, I’m still a fan. Fortitude Training is one of my favorite programs of all time

I haven't watched the Nippard stuff, but always doing 3x10 everyday runs counter to how most full body consecutive day routines are done. They seem to work best when you are changing modalities, tempo and time under tension. Personally I'd get terrible tendonitis following the program posted.

I my humble opinion that routine is a total disaster.

Whole body routines are actually very simple and very very productive. The same work-
out, if performed on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, taking the weekends off is nearly
ideal. Every two months, take a week off and before you start this routine, take a week
off if you have been training.

You can do the same exercise selection (preferred) or change exercises every work-
out to eliminate boredom which is a symptom of no progress / over training. Think
about it . . . who here is bored if they are making progress and growing.

I like the same routine for as long as a year to really tell if you are making progress
once you have selected the exercise that are ''right' for you. You have the experience
to do this, just stick with it. Many can't wrap their head around this as it is too simple
but very difficult to do, they say you gotta mix things up. That is total BS in my opinion
and I have neither the time or the inclination explain (not defend) why. Buy hey, do
what you want, just don't come complaining to me about your poor progress if you
keep changing things.

Pick one exercise per body-part and perform it like somebody has a gun to your head,
like it is the last workout you will ever do in your life. Basic exercises, warm-up then
1 set to failure is ideal if it works for you, 2 sets worked best for me, never more than
3 sets unless you are superman.

Move very quickly between exercises and rest no longer than 30 seconds between sets.
You should feel like you have just climbed a tall mountain with a refrigerator tied to
you back and you will, at first, want to curl up in the corner and want to die if you are
working hard enough but don't worry, you will adapt in 2 - 4 weeks.

Exercise selection I will leave to you you but keep it very very basic with picture perfect
form. You should be able to stop the weight, control it in any position of the exercise. If
can't do that you are using too much weight and the weight is moving you, not you
moving the weight.

Do not increase the weight too quickly as you may be tempted to do on this kind of
routine as muscle grows faster than tendons and ligaments. I would not increase the
weight only if you can duplicate you guide sets and reps for two to three workouts.
It is easy in theory but difficult in practice.

I like to use the same weight for each set and when I can use that same weight on all
my sets I increase the weigh. But that is just me. It just makes it easier and I get
more rest by not having to change the weight and write in my journal.

Keep your workout under one hour, preferably under that. And you should finish the
workout with some gas in the tank, wanting to do more once your 'metabolic' condition
improves. But don't fall into this common trap, your results will suffer.

Keep very accurate records of everything you take, that includes steroids (which will
have an enormous effect especially on this sort of routine if the doses are kept 'lowish',
I don't have a number), vitamins and supplements, and everything you eat and any
thing cardiovascular if longer than 30 minutes. Same with your workout. Record the
amount of weight you use and how many sets you perform including partial repetitions
which should be performed to failure until you reach the guide number for that set.
This trains the mind and the body to endure the required number of repetitions for
that set. Bodybuilding should be called mind training because that is what you are
really training . . . the body will follow if you give it half a chance.

I could design a routine and train you if I could and within three to six months months
your own mother would not recognize you if she had not seen you in the meantime.
You would hate me but love the results.

Please excuse any typos. I just did a quick 'core dump' because I am out the door shortly,
traveling until the end of the week.

This should work for you.

Register on trainedbyjp.com and look at how Jordan designs full body work.

You hit each body part for 1 working set alternating between heavy (6-10) and lighter days (15-20), every other day. Quad compounds are done for 2 sets (heavy and light) and back is split between width and thickness (1 working set each).

training as a natural for nearly twenty years now (with some light peptide use last year), volume and frequency should be your biggest concern. choose one; you can't have both. i was never a fan of full body workouts and almost always overtrained but i probably did not manage my volume and/or intensity properly.

I think 3 full body workouts per week is more than enough. 2 is fine, 3 is optimal. anything more than that, unless you have superhuman recuperative abilities or are training with very low intensities (aka percentages of one rep max), you're going to hit a wall and struggle to recover.

In my experiences with full bodies, i would always squat first since i found it to be the most taxing lift and in each workout i'd alternate between back squats and front squats. I'd also superset a press with a pull. This saves time and also builds your work capacity. You can do the same for arms.

Just my two cents...good luck.

Question, why a full body program and why run it 5 days a week? I would do a 3 day split over 5 any day of the week but just wondering why the need to transition back to a FB?
For no other reason than to try it. Ive been seeing a lot posted on YouTube and im getting a bit bored so why not try it and see what it does. Currently I do a 3 say split with 3 on 1 off that phil hernon set me up on something like 12 years ago which is honestly still my favorite program, but like with all things, after a year I get bored.
Id switch to dc for a bit, which is usually what I do but I'm really limited on equipment until I can buy more.

This should work for you.
I like it because I never did anything like that but I'm buttfucked for exercise selection I believe. No gyms open near me and all I have us what I listed above for the time being. Ill dive in and see what i can put together. It looks fun.
Also I'm taking 700 mg test/we so maybe exercise selectionz doesn't matter so much here.

I my humble opinion that routine is a total disaster.

Whole body routines are actually very simple and very very productive. The same work-
out, if performed on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, taking the weekends off is nearly
ideal. Every two months, take a week off and before you start this routine, take a week
off if you have been training.

You can do the same exercise selection (preferred) or change exercises every work-
out to eliminate boredom which is a symptom of no progress / over training. Think
about it . . . who here is bored if they are making progress and growing.

I like the same routine for as long as a year to really tell if you are making progress
once you have selected the exercise that are ''right' for you. You have the experience
to do this, just stick with it. Many can't wrap their head around this as it is too simple
but very difficult to do, they say you gotta mix things up. That is total BS in my opinion
and I have neither the time or the inclination explain (not defend) why. Buy hey, do
what you want, just don't come complaining to me about your poor progress if you
keep changing things.

Pick one exercise per body-part and perform it like somebody has a gun to your head,
like it is the last workout you will ever do in your life. Basic exercises, warm-up then
1 set to failure is ideal if it works for you, 2 sets worked best for me, never more than
3 sets unless you are superman.

Move very quickly between exercises and rest no longer than 30 seconds between sets.
You should feel like you have just climbed a tall mountain with a refrigerator tied to
you back and you will, at first, want to curl up in the corner and want to die if you are
working hard enough but don't worry, you will adapt in 2 - 4 weeks.

Exercise selection I will leave to you you but keep it very very basic with picture perfect
form. You should be able to stop the weight, control it in any position of the exercise. If
can't do that you are using too much weight and the weight is moving you, not you
moving the weight.

Do not increase the weight too quickly as you may be tempted to do on this kind of
routine as muscle grows faster than tendons and ligaments. I would not increase the
weight only if you can duplicate you guide sets and reps for two to three workouts.
It is easy in theory but difficult in practice.

I like to use the same weight for each set and when I can use that same weight on all
my sets I increase the weigh. But that is just me. It just makes it easier and I get
more rest by not having to change the weight and write in my journal.

Keep your workout under one hour, preferably under that. And you should finish the
workout with some gas in the tank, wanting to do more once your 'metabolic' condition
improves. But don't fall into this common trap, your results will suffer.

Keep very accurate records of everything you take, that includes steroids (which will
have an enormous effect especially on this sort of routine if the doses are kept 'lowish',
I don't have a number), vitamins and supplements, and everything you eat and any
thing cardiovascular if longer than 30 minutes. Same with your workout. Record the
amount of weight you use and how many sets you perform including partial repetitions
which should be performed to failure until you reach the guide number for that set.
This trains the mind and the body to endure the required number of repetitions for
that set. Bodybuilding should be called mind training because that is what you are
really training . . . the body will follow if you give it half a chance.

I could design a routine and train you if I could and within three to six months months
your own mother would not recognize you if she had not seen you in the meantime.
You would hate me but love the results.

Please excuse any typos. I just did a quick 'core dump' because I am out the door shortly,
traveling until the end of the week.
Thanks alfresco. Always great to hear from you. I have an issue with increasing weight on lifts at the moment due to the sheer lack of available Olympic plates in my area. Currently my lifts are as follows

Flat bench 315 x 14
Squat 405 x 8
Deadlift 405 x 10
I'm out of weight and for my barbell. I dont have 10 or 25 lb plates. Craigslist, Facebook marketplace are dry and other one stores seem to be sold out too.
Currently I'm sitting at 210 lbs at 5'7" and diet is a bit of an issue because pasta is delicious. Currently 700 mg test/week.
I'm really only doing this out of boredom from lockdown. Usually I would cycle between my current routine and dc but I lack the exercise selection for dc.
How do you feel about restpause sets to increase intensity until i can purchase more weight and find an available decent adjustable bench?

Frequency is also a variable in progressive overload, so it would be logical to start at 3 days and work your way up... Unless that is what you are already doing?
I'm training 3 on 1 off currently. Im having two issues. Im bored and I'm out of weight. Specifically small plates to progress on some lifts and 45s on others. Covid is a bitch since everything is sold out.

Thanks alfresco. Always great to hear from you. I have an issue with increasing weight on lifts at the moment due to the sheer lack of available Olympic plates in my area. Currently my lifts are as follows

Flat bench 315 x 14
Squat 405 x 8
Deadlift 405 x 10
I'm out of weight and for my barbell. I dont have 10 or 25 lb plates. Craigslist, Facebook marketplace are dry and other one stores seem to be sold out too.
Currently I'm sitting at 210 lbs at 5'7" and diet is a bit of an issue because pasta is delicious. Currently 700 mg test/week.
I'm really only doing this out of boredom from lockdown. Usually I would cycle between my current routine and dc but I lack the exercise selection for dc.
How do you feel about restpause sets to increase intensity until i can purchase more weight and find an available decent adjustable bench?

tkav1980, glad you did not take my post personally. It was anything but. You are a good man.

Before I get moving again, I have time for a few comment.

You are a damn strong! which is good but presents it's own set of 'problems'. Very briefly,
I would increase your reps to 20, squats to 50. You can do this.

Secondly, look into pre-exhausting your body parts if you can. Arthur Jones wrote about this n
detail and I made my best progress with this method. It will knock back the weight (50%?).
You can find out more in one of his training bulletins.

Hope this helps . . .

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236