over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Crossing the Blood Brain Barrier w/ Longvida Curcumin & Mag L-Threonate

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Curcumin and Magnesium are two of the most important supplements for overall health and longevity. Longvida Curcumin and Magnesium L-Threonate have both been proven to cross the BBB-also proving they are pretty bio available.

I just currently started using Longvida in Nordic Naturals Omega Curcumin.(It also contains NAC and L-glutathione. I also shelved what I will use next which is Omega Memory with Longvida, Phosphatidylcholine, Huperzine A, and a higher dose of DHA.
I am waiting to get my Vitamin D checked(I've been taking 20,000 units a day for 2 months) and will see my levels and then add Magnesium to my supplement intake and see how much my levels are boosted by the increased activation.

I have recommended my mother who is in her 70s to take Magnesium L-Threonate and she barely supplements but told me she notices a difference. This will be the initial form I add @2000mg (144mg elemental) when I check my levels again and will also get a Magnesium RBC panel. After that I will decide if adding Magnesium Glycinate is warranted.

I'm looking for input or knowledge on these forms of two very important supplements and i am also wondering if another form is expected to be used in conjunction junction with these since these end up penetrating the BBB.
For example, if I want optimal magnesium for other things like sleep and blood pressure or optimal curcumin for inflammation etc, will taking another form be necessary? Seems to me if significant amounts end up in the brain, they will not be in other places..or at least not as plentiful elsewhere.

Some things to talk about! Looking forward to discussion!

Good thread. Want to learn more about Mag as well.

As an aside, never quite understood the elemental vs actual Mag content on back of bottles. lol.

My question is if magnesium complexed with say glycine or taurine makes those aminos cross the BBB to a higher extent or whatever. Reason I ask is that the dosage of those aminos is rather low in mag supps compared to what would be ingested if taken separately i.e. taurine and glycine are typically taken in multi-gram amounts.
There are claims of pretty different effects, one for sleep, another for tension or stress, another for energy etc.

I just googled a bit and there is something called Sucrosomial Magnesium.

Here's some promotional material, which I can't vouch for:

A sucrester is a sucrose ester of a fatty acid. Sucresters are capable of microencapsulating minerals. Microencapsulating minerals with a sucrester, creates the perfect carrier for the target mineral, as sucresters can be readily absorbed into cells. The sucresters also defend the minerals from our stomach acid, thus preventing Magnesium from binding to other nutrients, which is how Magnesium bioavailability degrades most often.
One of the main advantages to Sucrosomial Magnesium, is that the elemental magnesium content stays high. With an extraordinary 32-38% elemental Magnesium, MicroMag carries more than twice the elemental magnesium content of Magnesium Glycinate! Additionally, due to the interactions between sucresters and and various cells within our bodies (particularly in the intestines), sucrosomial magnesium is exceptionally bioavailable.
For people that want to elevate their Magnesium levels, Sucrosomial Magnesium is the best option. For those looking for more specific secondary effects, such as promoting sleep quality or supporting overall cognition, Magnesium Glycinate and Magnesium L Threonate may be better options if you seek more of these secondary effects. For example, the glycine content in Magnesium Glycinate may help promote sleep quality, while the Threonate content of Magnesium L Threonate may help support cognitive function.

My question is if magnesium complexed with say glycine or taurine makes those aminos cross the BBB to a higher extent or whatever. Reason I ask is that the dosage of those aminos is rather low in mag supps compared to what would be ingested if taken separately i.e. taurine and glycine are typically taken in multi-gram amounts.
There are claims of pretty different effects, one for sleep, another for tension or stress, another for energy etc.

I think you may have missed the fact that glycinate and taurate do NOT cross the BBB. This is why I am talking about Magnesium L-Threonate which has been proven to and Longvida Curcumin which is in SLNP which also has been proven to.

Skip to 4:15 if you want to hear brain benefits from this R&D Chemist and Formulator who happens to use Longvida in his great product.

and here is Nothumans new BFF (lol) on Mag L-Threonate...

This is actually the Magnesium L-Threonate video I should have shared.
Personally, my thought process has evolved where L-Threonate is likely a superstar and my primary choice of magnesium along with perhaps glycinate. I take 5g of taurine daily...so I do not think the Taurate version is in the conversation-though it seems it would be the third best choice.

Magnesium does so much in the body..and it activates Vitamin D, so your levels of Vitamin D will also rise. Add to that cognitive benefits with threonate, heart/bp benefits and stress+sleep support...it has really climbed the pole of most important supplements for health and longevity in my mind. While I have always had it on the list, it seems like it really needs to be at the very top of most people's health arsenal.

There are way too many smart people on this forum to not be dropping knowledgeable opinions.

There are way too many smart people on this forum to not be dropping knowledgeable opinions.

Just looked into that magnesium and I’m confused about the 2000mg but 144mg elemental? They say we need about 400-500mg daily, would that be elemental or just in general?

Definitely wanting to change from the magnesium I’m taking now to this....

Also, on the Curcumin Longvida; there are so many different Curcumins and damn near every one claims to be the most bioavailable lol I don’t know what to think anymore with these things but I would think having the ability to cross the BBB would make it more bioavailable in the body? And it’s actually a bit cheaper than a lot of it’s competitors...

The real problem with all the forms of curcumins claims are they all say they are 7 or 29 or 45.5 times greater absorption or bio availability...
And at a certain point I stopped reading or focusing on that bullshit because no one ever takes the time to qualify those claims or put them into perspective vs other forms. I have a feeling all of them are based on regular ordinary curcumin or tumeric...in a study they cherry pick..compared to another cherry picked study they want to spotlight.
I used Super Bio-Curcumin forever from LEF because Dante and many others recommended it. I am sure it was a solid product especially before delivery systems became more evolved. I also used a lot of Meriva Phytosome which was in one of Jarrow's products as well as Doctor's Best I believe.
One thing that has recently annoyed me about the LEF brand is they changed from BCM-95 to a new delivery system that is XXX amount better according to them. I find the timing of it funny since the people who had the rights to BCM-95 either changed hands or some sort of contract expired or was to be re-negotiated. Am I supposed to believe LEF scrambled and made a much better product just because they had to? No its marketing. Shame on them for not having that product sooner because unveiling it now just seems disingenuine to me. Another thing that LEF is losing me with is they are using formulations that seem to be patented/patent pending/trademarked but not using the actual trademarked item..almost as they are copying formulations. It can be seen in their Bio-Quercetin and new Curcumin Elite products and I believe there are also more examples. I don't like that.

I truly believe black pepper/piperine is 1st generation obsolete delivery and SLNP delivery is the newest most evolved form.

Elemental magnesium is actual mag compared to the salt its bound to or the formulation. So 2000mg of threonate yields 144mg. I believe glycinate is about 20%...so 400mg would be about 80mg elemental from what I understand.

As far as crossing the blood brain barrier and bio-availability in the body...
I think crossing the BBB usually means greater bio-availability but as I said earlier, that does not mean there are ample amounts elsewhere for the things you want it to cover. Cognition and brain health are things that we barely focus on but absolutely play a role in longevity and wellness..so my thought process is we may have to take other forms to cover all bases. This is why I would consider implementing glycinate at a lowest effective dose if I have an effective dose of L-threonate working for me..dosed and timed in a way that makes the most sense.

This thread isn't about more is better..it's about better is better. More forms and more attention to detail or optimization...yes! Higher dosed? Only if it's warranted and evidence looks to point towards advantages.

Nothuman and I were talking a couple weeks ago and he basically stated that from what he has read, Longvida, Novasol, and Curcuwin seem to be very good.

For the record..I still use LEF Super-Bio Curcumin...they stopped producing it but I have some.
I also use Meriva in TheLab product that Dante formulated.

I just started using Longvida in Nordic Naturals Omega formulations.(Longvida has the ability to boost DHA in the brain)
I also just purchased Magnesium L-Threonate but haven't used it since I do not supplement with Mag currently and am going to get Mag RBC tested before adding it and testing again as I mentioned.
I've very purposefully elected to use Magnesium Glycinate in the past but often hated how it was mostly only available in 100mg tablets.
Back in the day, I liked ZMA products but cannot fathom why Magnesium Aspartate is used in it since it is neuro-toxic.

Again, I think companies enjoy the fact they can fuck with data and manipulate our minds with marketing data that no one can quite understand..but I got so annoyed at it I started really delving into the research of which Curcumins are the most promising and which others are more mediocre.

Nothuman and I were talking a couple weeks ago and he basically stated that from what he has read, Longvida, Novasol, and Curcuwin seem to be very good.

For the record..I still use LEF Super-Bio Curcumin...they stopped producing it but I have some.

I just started using Longvida in Nordic Naturals Omega formulations.(Longvida has the ability to boost DHA in the brain)
I also just purchased Magnesium L-Threonate but haven't used it since I do not supplement with Mag currently and am going to get Mag RBC tested before adding it and testing again as I mentioned.
I've very purposefully elected to use Magnesium Glycinate in the past but often hated how it was mostly only available in 100mg tablets.
Back in the day, I liked ZMA products but cannot fathom why Magnesium Aspartate is used in it since it is neuro-toxic.

Again, I think companies enjoy the fact they can fuck with data and manipulate our minds with marketing data that no one can quite understand..but I got so annoyed at it I started really delving into the research of which Curcumins are the most promising and which others are more mediocre.

Personally I don't know what to make of all the marketing of all the different trademarked versions of curcumin. So I go for the variety package and use a little bit of the 3 different ones; Longvida, Meriva phytosome, and LEF Advanced Bio-curcumin.

I just use Jarrows regular curcumin and Swanson bioperine

1500mg/20mg.. morning and night

Great posts and totally agree with you on the marketing, I’ve seen that with Curcumin almost more than any other product... I’m going to give the Longvida a try when the one I have is done. I’m using some C3 Curcumin with Bioperine at the moment, another version which is supposed to have “X” amount more curcuminoids and absorption etc etc lol... I was using Meriva by Jarrow before with the Bio Curcumin from LE but felt like I was spending a good deal of money on what perhaps could be no extra benefit...

Definitely going to grab some L-Threonate though after watching that video You posted as well...

What’s your opinion on Magnesium Citrate? It’s the one I’m taking now, just taking it because I read it’s one of the most bioavailable forms of Magnesium...

They all have tren brain and need nootropics to repair that shit. I'm being facetious. I'm also taking Mag....for the same reasons Knight9 states. That and a host of other nootropic stacks to ensure I stay relevant in a high tech career at the ripe age of 50. The noggin isn't what it was in my 30's. I can hang but mainly because few can match me in experience. Double Wood appears to be a decent vendor of nootropics. They have a store on Amazon but several products like Sulbutiamine have been pulled. You can still get them direct on their site.

Personally I don't know what to make of all the marketing of all the different trademarked versions of curcumin. So I go for the variety package and use a little bit of the 3 different ones; Longvida, Meriva phytosome, and LEF Advanced Bio-curcumin.
Our strategies are very similar my friend..and it doesn't surprise me. I hope you are doing well! BTW I do plan to phase out and improve on my strategy by being OCD anal and researching and experimenting with some things. I'm perfectly fine with two forms of curcumin..or magnesium..but as I said, they must serve the purpose of crossing the BBB while also fulfilling their full other potentials which seems like it might require optimal forms for various reasons.

I just use Jarrows regular curcumin and Swanson bioperine

1500mg/20mg.. morning and night
I said somewhere above...the piperine/black pepper delivery/accompanying system is what I'd call 1st generation and practically obsolete. If it works for you then great..but it just seems to have evolved from those initial formulas through more research, nano-particles, and delivery systems.

Great posts and totally agree with you on the marketing, I’ve seen that with Curcumin almost more than any other product... I’m going to give the Longvida a try when the one I have is done. I’m using some C3 Curcumin with Bioperine at the moment, another version which is supposed to have “X” amount more curcuminoids and absorption etc etc lol... I was using Meriva by Jarrow before with the Bio Curcumin from LE but felt like I was spending a good deal of money on what perhaps could be no extra benefit...

Definitely going to grab some L-Threonate though after watching that video You posted as well...

What’s your opinion on Magnesium Citrate? It’s the one I’m taking now, just taking it because I read it’s one of the most bioavailable forms of Magnesium...

I have paid little to no attention to citrate and would basically be open to it if I took a multi-vitamin. Since I supplement everything individually, I wouldn't explore that unless it was 100% proven to be cheap and effective at boosting magnesium levels...which in itself, is tricky.

My goals are bp + heart health, cellular health, relaxation/calming/sleep, Vitamin D and other enhanced activation, cognitive function. Basically optimal Magnesium levels for all processes and optimal Mag strengthening synapses and neurons in the brain.

Magnesium Serum testing is supposedly pure trash...which is annoying since it is included on some comprehensive blood tests.
RBC Magnesium was what I thought was the optimal standard test..I believe Dr Jeffrey Rutterbusch said optimum levels are 6-6.5mg/dL which was outlined by Dr. Carolyn Deane, but recently I read that might not even be a great way to test..so I am confused.

Scratch that...citrate is best used for constipation. Glycinate is more useful for conditions like anxiety, insomnia, chronic stress, and inflammatory conditions.
-From googling magnesium citrate vs glycinate

This takes me back to why I have always defaulted to glycinate due to what is listed above and its superior uptake and lack of bowel issues. So basically I always had my base that had Taurate in the background of my mind as an alternative and now I have moved on from Taurate and opened my eyes to L-Threonate which I, unfortunately kind of always thought was a marketing ploy. It seems to be the real deal. A combination of emerging evidence and me having a more open mind have led to these new ideas I have.

Curqfen and Meriva are the only two forms I’ve ever seen any joint/anti inflammatory relief from. Bcm-95, longvida, Curcuwin, or with BioPerine never gave any relief. The below was written by a member on another forum.

I would personally like to see CurQfen in the product. Free curcuminoids seems to be the most active component we are looking for after curcumin supplementation and this material provides the highest levels of free curcuminoids in the blood when compared to a generic 95% curcumin extract. The galactomannans from fenugreek form a gel like structure that protect the curcumin from intestinal conjugation while also sticking to the epithelial cells to assist with absorption. Animal data also shows improved uptake of the free curcuminoids from this material into key areas like the brain, heart, liver, and spleen. The effective dosage range is between 500-1,000mg of this material daily. Another additive that may be worth exploring is turmerones. They seem to complement curcuminoids in their ability to regulation inflammation and they can further assist the absorption of curcuminoids by impacting P-glycoprotein (P-gp) activities in the intestines. I linked studies below:

CurQfen:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1756464615000535

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1756464616000426

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6174784/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30889454/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27043120/

Turmerones:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9215873/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3282471/

Curcumin and Magnesium are two of the most important supplements for overall health and longevity. Longvida Curcumin and Magnesium L-Threonate have both been proven to cross the BBB-also proving they are pretty bio available.

I just currently started using Longvida in Nordic Naturals Omega Curcumin.(It also contains NAC and L-glutathione. I also shelved what I will use next which is Omega Memory with Longvida, Phosphatidylcholine, Huperzine A, and a higher dose of DHA.
I am waiting to get my Vitamin D checked(I've been taking 20,000 units a day for 2 months) and will see my levels and then add Magnesium to my supplement intake and see how much my levels are boosted by the increased activation.

I have recommended my mother who is in her 70s to take Magnesium L-Threonate and she barely supplements but told me she notices a difference. This will be the initial form I add @2000mg (144mg elemental) when I check my levels again and will also get a Magnesium RBC panel. After that I will decide if adding Magnesium Glycinate is warranted.

I'm looking for input or knowledge on these forms of two very important supplements and i am also wondering if another form is expected to be used in conjunction junction with these since these end up penetrating the BBB.
For example, if I want optimal magnesium for other things like sleep and blood pressure or optimal curcumin for inflammation etc, will taking another form be necessary? Seems to me if significant amounts end up in the brain, they will not be in other places..or at least not as plentiful elsewhere.

Some things to talk about! Looking forward to discussion!

Interesting discussion. I just got my bloods done and waiting for results, I paid for a huge vitamin profile to check levels of D, Magnesium, B vit and about everything else so I'm very curious.

I've been taking this magnesium; https://bioptimizers.com/product/magnesium-breakthrough/
In depth discussion here: **broken link removed**

I'm not affiliated with that company or anything and not necessarily trying to promote them but after listening to this, researching, and looking at other products my wife and I have both settled on using this one and both have noticed a difference in how we feel.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws