over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cholesterol meds.

Cinder

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Is there any med for cholesterol that doesn't cause the terrible side effects of a normal statin?

The majority of people I know usually have painful muscle aches, and a lot of pain. This is not an option for somebody that has osteoporosis. She is not on osteoporosis meds...but rather a bone supplement that has great results after a few years of taking it. The atorvastatin she took gave her major muscle aches. Lol the now brand Cholesterol pro (citrus bergamot) she took for a year didn't do anything.

Is there any med for cholesterol that doesn't cause the terrible side effects of a normal statin?

The majority of people I know usually have painful muscle aches, and a lot of pain. This is not an option for somebody that has osteoporosis. She is not on osteoporosis meds...but rather a bone supplement that has great results after a few years of taking it. The atorvastatin she took gave her major muscle aches. Lol the now brand Cholesterol pro (citrus bergamot) she took for a year didn't do anything.

Perhaps citrus bergamot?? Worth looking into it since this works great for the majority.

What is her diet like? Sometimes people think if they take 500mg of 1 supp their HDL will magically double. Sometimes it can happen but most of the time they may need to change the bad first. By bad perhaps something she is taking that worsens cholesterol. Then comes diet and well all the obvious things.

Did she just take 2 caps per day so 500mg? For many they may need at least double that. I find many of these supps often help a little so it's often beneficial to add a few to help things from different angles in a sense. So it could be citrus bergamot, garlic and krill oil for example.

If needed add some extra virgin olive oil and an avocado each day as well. Does she consume much fibre (specifically soluble fibre)? If any crap foods are consumed take them away and replace with nutrient dense ones (fruits, vegetables, nuts, oily fish etc). Often many have genetically bad cholesterol and they may not eat how they should so to make a significant difference you have to do more than just add 1 supp.

The vast majority of people taking a statin will not have any significant increase in CK levels on labwork nor report any severe muscle aches as reported in the large decades plus studies. For those people who do it can often be treated or prevented by using CO Q10 or ubiquinol given the MOA of statin induced myopathy.

While i am sure there are still reports of it i have gone to meetings where quite a few presenters have said they have no seen statin induced myopathy in there patient population when adequately supplementing with Co q10 or ubiquinol. I have my own father on 300mg of ubiquinol a day as he is on max crestor dose. I also take a statin and i take 100mg ubiquinol and 200mg co q10 ( i have co q 10 left over ill be switching to ubiquinol only soon).

of note i have seen SEVERE statin induced myositis. I mean severe and i wrote it up as a case in point. 60 year old woman and the MRI findings persisted for 6 months after stopping the statin. I didnt read her 1 year follow up but I was told she still had MRI findings but slightly less pronounced. ubiquinol did not help her after it got so bad.

Statins are a tool but they are also a drug. If they are just treating a number then it may not be crucial. If the person already has bad soft plaque build up it may be saving there life.

Some people are taking a statin not to treat "high cholesterol" but to stablize already present soft plaque and prevent progression. For instance if patient has had a bypass......i would NOT be relying on OTC type supps. A LDL of 100 may be fine/normal in a 30 year old who is healthy but in a bypass patient you want that below 80 and maybe below 70 and its damn hard to do that without the statin.

I will follow up after I ask questions.

I’m on 40mg of Lipitor a day to prevent plaque buildup due to being on Anabolic’s and all the food I consume. I don’t suffer any sides and have no pain. Cholesterol numbers were high in the past - so I’ll be on as long as I’m using
I also believe the aches and pains from statins are greatly exaggerated

I usually use 20mg of atorvastatin m/w/f each week, and then 500mg BID of Citrus Bergamot daily (well, and 300mg/d of ubiquinol).

Actually, I just ran out of ator, so i'm gonna have to restock. I may go up to 20mg daily while on orals.

Nice post by gotgame.

For the OP I'd really recommend working with a doc she trusts outside of that if you are a 100% no on meds it will likely take a holistic approach to life...

1. HIIT Cardio and training
2. Diet changes. Much debate which diet is best but I'd increase fruits and veggies (especially greens, berries, and citrus) big time. Cut processed food, etc. there is no debate that eating like that is helpful.
3. Supplements. Regarding Citrus Berg you may need 1000-1500 mgs. A hefty dose of krill oil, garlic, and plant sterols. I saw some of my biggest decrease with a good dose of a plant sterol comples. It didn't do a lot to my HDL but it punch my ldl down from 170 to 110 at one point keeping other variables the same. I'd also add a fiber supplement. My father in law eats like shit and just adding two servings of metamucil a day his ldl dropped 25 points. I imagine the fiber also helped curb his appetite and kept him from eating as much junk

Even if you go on meds I'd still recommend implementing some of the above. All those supplements are just genuinely healthy for you anyway. I would monitor and make sure it is still going down.

Perhaps citrus bergamot?? Worth looking into it since this works great for the majority.

Sorry, I had misread your post and did not see she already tried citrus bergamot though I agree that sometimes high dose is required.

The sides are more rare I think than the norm. I do 10 mg Crestor a day (hereditary issue) for 14 years, only thing it does is crash Test-levels (test is made in Cholesterol), which I fix w/ TRT...

If you must take a statin, use the lowest possible dose. If your Dr. recommends X,
use 1/2 X or less. That goes for a lot of meds actually. Especially if you are in
good health otherwise, not overweight, etc. That counts for a lot.

I’m on 40mg of Lipitor a day to prevent plaque buildup due to being on Anabolic’s and all the food I consume. I don’t suffer any sides and have no pain. Cholesterol numbers were high in the past - so I’ll be on as long as I’m using
I also believe the aches and pains from statins are greatly exaggerated

Zero sides for me. Just lowered my cholesterol which it is supposed to do.

Also, be sure she really needs the statins as a first step. Most Docs hand 'em out like candy on Halloween.
If total is a high, but other markers are good (like her HDL is high so it brings up her total) don't go on them.

Too many are on statins these days.

Also, be sure she really needs the statins as a first step. Most Docs hand 'em out like candy on Halloween.
If total is a high, but other markers are good (like her HDL is high so it brings up her total) don't go on them.

Too many are on statins these days.
I will get all the information and report back

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear