over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Best cardio for heart health

Having a healthy heart is about keeping ones veins and arteries in good shape. The actual amount of work a heart needs is not that much. It is just another muscle. I wouldn't put an 80% load on a quad and work it non stop for an hour and think I was doing it justice. When I look at people in their 90's or over 100 you do not hear about them doing aerobics even though it has been around for most of their lives. They just did everything moderately. I saw a study in Runners world magazine around 1980 that showed that people the run marathons through out their lives live about 4 months longer then the average. I saw on last year with 10's of thousands of runners that showed when they get into their 60's they have as much heart disease as every one else and their arteries have aged from all the from all the stress. Intense aerobics produces a lot of catabolic and stress hormones that age tissue.

Having a healthy heart is about keeping ones veins and arteries in good shape. The actual amount of work a heart needs is not that much. It is just another muscle. I wouldn't put an 80% load on a quad and work it non stop for an hour and think I was doing it justice. When I look at people in their 90's or over 100 you do not hear about them doing aerobics even though it has been around for most of their lives. They just did everything moderately. I saw a study in Runners world magazine around 1980 that showed that people the run marathons through out their lives live about 4 months longer then the average. I saw on last year with 10's of thousands of runners that showed when they get into their 60's they have as much heart disease as every one else and their arteries have aged from all the from all the stress. Intense aerobics produces a lot of catabolic and stress hormones that age tissue.

Do you have links to any of those studies?

I’m not saying you’re wrong but it’s hard to believe that guys like Cameron Hanes and David Goggins who run upwards of 20 miles a day, sometimes even a marathon a day for weeks on end, end up being no healthier than an average person in their 60’s. I think Cam Hanes said on Joe Rogans Podcast once that his resting heart rate is somewhere around 30 beats per minute..

Do you have links to any of those studies?

I’m not saying you’re wrong but it’s hard to believe that guys like Cameron Hanes and David Goggins who run upwards of 20 miles a day, sometimes even a marathon a day for weeks on end, end up being no healthier than an average person in their 60’s. I think Cam Hanes said on Joe Rogans Podcast once that his resting heart rate is somewhere around 30 beats per minute..
Having a few individuals that are able to accomplish things that they say is good for you proves nothing. There are people that smoke and live to 80. Of course they may have lived to 100 if they hadn't. Show me 1000 people with low heart rates or that run 50-100 miles a week and where 750 of them are far healthier then the norm and live longer and that is saying something. The studies I mentioned I did not book mark unfortunately or I would have included them in my post as I never figure any one should believe me. Did the gentlemen you mention show where the majority of people that do what they do live longer then average? If not I would not take what they selling as gospel either. I have a couple guys at my gym that have done aerobics for decades and have pace makers and others that have scars where their chests have been cut open but I haven't asked why. Lifting weights is supposed to be good for you. But not if it is excessive weights as it destroys the body. Pretty much the only thing really proven to be healthy is moderation, from what I have seen. I have chosen to do things that are extreme at times but I don't try to justify them as health or suggest others do it to make myself feel better. But a couple links I saved are .

I am a contrarian to the HIIT benefits for CARDIOVASCULAR health. This is based purely on anecdotal evidence...not supported by science (yet). I have personally known 3 close friends who suffered heart attacks after/during HIIT training. All were in their late 40's. All were in good shape (on face value). 2 died, 1 lived. Here is my personal belief (not supported by science but it makes sense to me):

We are all blessed with the flight/fight response to threats. We can do amazing things such as run lightning fast when being chased by a lion or lifting a semi-truck if your kid is trapped underneath. IMO, this response is designed to be tapped on rare occasion. For example, my jeep can go up to 110mph. But if I regularly drive it at 110mph the engine will blow. Much like our hearts. We can race them up to incredible levels in a fight or flight situation. But if you continually do it, several times per week, your heart will blow out, just like the engine in a car. Sure it CAN work that hard, but SHOULD it? You are purposely putting yourself in fight/flight mode by going all in on HIIT.

The same theory could be applied to bodybuilding, but instead of looking at the heart muscle, lets apply to the skeletal muscle. In a fight or flight situation COULD you deadlift 1000lbs to save your child pinned under a car? YES. Should you then try to deadlift 1000lbs several times per week? Hell no.

I would say the best cardio training when considering risk/reward would be weight training (actually a moderate form of HIIT if you think of it) along with lower intensity steady state exercises such as taking a brisk walk, walking stairs, or riding a stationary bicycle.

Also, my above description is based on a longevity not performance model. That is key here...please remember that if you choose to respond to the contrary.

I am going to bed so will keep this relatively short. I believe a mixture is optimal for most people over time. If solely concerned with heart health then what Kal states is spot on and in simple terms any cardio that is hard over 30-45 mins is going to work. Now when looking at all areas and not just heart health things can change but of course you don't need cardio to get lean. However certain machines can sometimes be of great benefit to the bodybuilder in regards to their physique (fat loss, muscles etc) and for heart health. An example could be someone with stubborn calves get on a stepper or incline treadmill and do all (or some/most) on your tiptoes and/or calf raises on every step. You want your glutes (etc) to come in more get on the stepmill and squeeze them on every step.

The most important thing for most people is simply doing cardio consistently. For 90% of guys who aren't super committed to training that could mean just picking the machine or activity you enjoy the most. Perhaps you want to hit your back or legs harder so that could come into play (rowing machine and exercise bike etc). So I don't think this question has a one answer fits all and is very individual. Just make sure you go fairly hard and you stay consistent. Even just taking multiple brisk walks throughout the day is massively beneficial to your overall health and can help with your physique (digestion, fat loss etc).
This is my approach after atrial fibrillation hitting me hard after last show.
Eliminating refined sugars and being much more strict with what and when I eat has proved to be pivotal in improving my cardiovascular health.
I use my bike at home, I walk around my local countryside and I do inclined treadmill walking 3-4 times a week.
Keeping my steps up, walking after meals for improved digestion etc etc
So maybe a little off on a tangent for this thread but for me implementing all these changes is working tremendously well and showing in my performance and in turn my physique.

Find what you enjoy doing and work at making it harder in small increments over time:)

Early AM brisk walk and i stop at each bench and do 100 push ups ( diff hand positions ) I cant stand tredmills. I also have a dog so it makes it easier as he will wake my ass up to get his walk in. lol

Early AM brisk walk and i stop at each bench and do 100 push ups ( diff hand positions ) I cant stand tredmills. I also have a dog so it makes it easier as he will wake my ass up to get his walk in. lol
Makes perfect sense
I too prefer outdoor walking but can be more disciplined and add intensity on the mill, besides I like watching women on the mill in front of me👅 (no perv)

I actually think the more difficult thing is figuring out which way to gas yourself the most effectively.
Personally, the Airdyne bike is the biggest ass kicker I've ever used. I can get 15-30 secs hard as I can on that.

Mentioning a bike (That and the rowing machine, most underused pieces of cardio equipment)

Ready to have some fun? . . . Do your bike after 1 set presses, 1 set leg presses, 1 set 20 rep squats . . .
no rest in-between . . . then jump on your bike after removing the seat so you can't sit and crank as had
as you can for about 1 minute.

If you can walk after getting off the bike you did not work hard enough. Do this for 1 -2 cycles, 3 if you
are superman. You legs will never look better and it works wonders for your cardiovascular / 'metabolic'
system.

Many people, most people, use standing cardio machines at a moderate intensity to get lean. And that is fine
and you can't argue with some of the results. You get cardio and you burn calories. A win win. But there are two
pieces of equipment that I think are under utilized for cardiovascular benefits and they are the spin bike and
and the rowing machine (Concept II for example).

Before Covid it was not unusual for me to do 1 hour at 10 calories per minute (600 cal per hr.) on a rowing
machine which is the most boring thing I can think of. Or . . . I use a spin bike but I first remove the seat,
raise and move forward the handle bars. I then turn off the lights in the spin room and I stand and crank at
the same intensity as the rowing machine for 1 hour. I usually listen to a audio book or sometimes if I want
real and mental and physical challenge, I do not open my eyes for one hour and listen to nothing, use ear
plugs to remove the noise in the gym. I find all of these things a mental and physical challenge while keeping
it safe and heart healthy.

Then I do weights.

These may be extreme and I don't do them every workout (burnout mentally) but try to do one of them at least
once or twice every week or two.

And then before I forget . . . a novel way of using the rowing machine (Concept II for example) again but do it after
1 set of pullover on a pullover a machine then chin-ups with a pronated grip behind the neck then do set with a
supinated grip then bent over DB rows then do 1 minute as hard and fast as you can on the rowing machine
mentioned above. No rest between any exercises. You will get the best lat bur/ pump you have ever had in your life.
Again 1 set is sufficient, 2 if you are special, 3 if you are superman 9 (rare).

As always, your mileage may vary.

In all fairness, these three things I mentioned above are extremely difficult for me to do. I am have not a super
athlete in anything I have ever done. Middle of the pack at best on a good day. I can do any of these things,
so can you.

Not go out and have some fun.

Anything that get's your heart rate. It's all about staying consistent. When I train with weights, I try not to take much time between sets. I started recently walking on a 14 incline, and love it.

Mentioning a bike (That and the rowing machine, most underused pieces of cardio equipment)

Ready to have some fun? . . . Do your bike after 1 set presses, 1 set leg presses, 1 set 20 rep squats . . .
no rest in-between . . . then jump on your bike after removing the seat so you can't sit and crank as had
as you can for about 1 minute.

If you can walk after getting off the bike you did not work hard enough. Do this for 1 -2 cycles, 3 if you
are superman. You legs will never look better and it works wonders for your cardiovascular / 'metabolic'
system.

Many people, most people, use standing cardio machines at a moderate intensity to get lean. And that is fine
and you can't argue with some of the results. You get cardio and you burn calories. A win win. But there are two
pieces of equipment that I think are under utilized for cardiovascular benefits and they are the spin bike and
and the rowing machine (Concept II for example).

Before Covid it was not unusual for me to do 1 hour at 10 calories per minute (600 cal per hr.) on a rowing
machine which is the most boring thing I can think of. Or . . . I use a spin bike but I first remove the seat,
raise and move forward the handle bars. I then turn off the lights in the spin room and I stand and crank at
the same intensity as the rowing machine for 1 hour. I usually listen to a audio book or sometimes if I want
real and mental and physical challenge, I do not open my eyes for one hour and listen to nothing, use ear
plugs to remove the noise in the gym. I find all of these things a mental and physical challenge while keeping
it safe and heart healthy.

Then I do weights.

These may be extreme and I don't do them every workout (burnout mentally) but try to do one of them at least
once or twice every week or two.

And then before I forget . . . a novel way of using the rowing machine (Concept II for example) again but do it after
1 set of pullover on a pullover a machine then chin-ups with a pronated grip behind the neck then do set with a
supinated grip then bent over DB rows then do 1 minute as hard and fast as you can on the rowing machine
mentioned above. No rest between any exercises. You will get the best lat bur/ pump you have ever had in your life.
Again 1 set is sufficient, 2 if you are special, 3 if you are superman 9 (rare).

As always, your mileage may vary.

In all fairness, these three things I mentioned above are extremely difficult for me to do. I am have not a super
athlete in anything I have ever done. Middle of the pack at best on a good day. I can do any of these things,
so can you.

Not go out and have some fun.
Nasty bastard!
I have to say the Concept 2 has been calling me, been about 8 years since I’ve been on one, was getting quite good, this old boy I worked with years ago used to row for a local club, man alive he was strong asf, forearms like Popeye.
We used to grapple together and he was a tough old cookie, anyway our workshop had the Itchen river (Southampton UK) out the back, he had me rowing and it was very challenging.
I think I’ll give it a go, perhaps at 5am when nobody can see me fail at 5mins 32pr min!
Anyone thought about boxercise?
Most of us are probably too lumpy for it but even bag work will push your stamina.

This is my approach after atrial fibrillation hitting me hard after last show.
Eliminating refined sugars and being much more strict with what and when I eat has proved to be pivotal in improving my cardiovascular health.
I use my bike at home, I walk around my local countryside and I do inclined treadmill walking 3-4 times a week.
Keeping my steps up, walking after meals for improved digestion etc etc
So maybe a little off on a tangent for this thread but for me implementing all these changes is working tremendously well and showing in my performance and in turn my physique.

Find what you enjoy doing and work at making it harder in small increments over time:)
Did you have to go to the er and get defibrillated to get back in rhythm? Has the a fib come back?

My heart does much better when I am exercising regularly but not pushing too hard.

Having a few individuals that are able to accomplish things that they say is good for you proves nothing. There are people that smoke and live to 80. Of course they may have lived to 100 if they hadn't. Show me 1000 people with low heart rates or that run 50-100 miles a week and where 750 of them are far healthier then the norm and live longer and that is saying something. The studies I mentioned I did not book mark unfortunately or I would have included them in my post as I never figure any one should believe me. Did the gentlemen you mention show where the majority of people that do what they do live longer then average? If not I would not take what they selling as gospel either. I have a couple guys at my gym that have done aerobics for decades and have pace makers and others that have scars where their chests have been cut open but I haven't asked why. Lifting weights is supposed to be good for you. But not if it is excessive weights as it destroys the body. Pretty much the only thing really proven to be healthy is moderation, from what I have seen. I have chosen to do things that are extreme at times but I don't try to justify them as health or suggest others do it to make myself feel better. But a couple links I saved are .

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, and I know it’s the truth, I’ve known guys who are marathon runners and super healthy lifestyle who die at 60 and seen 90 year old men who drink regularly, eat like shit, get no exercise and smoked cigarettes since they were 12 lol..

I was just curious as to the studies or articles. And I just mean it in the sense of belief, that you can see guys like Goggins doing what they do and how does it not equate to better health compared to the average person in their 60’s when the average 60+ year old in the US has like 3-4 health issues from diabetes to heart disease or high blood pressure etc...

Or maybe I’m misconstruing something here, maybe lifespan doesn’t change but health does? There is a big difference between living to 80-90 years old and being active and happy and living the last 20 years of your life in and out of hospitals and procedures and on medications etc...

Shit, if I wanted longer life span I’d just do what the Italians and Spaniards and most Europeans do (my family is from those countries) the US is in last place in terms of lifespan of all the first world countries and first in line when it comes to stress and heart disease and many other ailments.. My great grandparents lived into their late 80’s and even some late 90’s and still working on the farms and being active. And from some docs that have come out about EU countries with very high life spans, Very low stress lifestyle, being moderately active (not necessarily lots of exercise), eating natural/healthy foods and surrounded by family/community and camaraderie/happiness seem to be what equate to people living long, healthy and happy lives..

Did you have to go to the er and get defibrillated to get back in rhythm? Has the a fib come back?

My heart does much better when I am exercising regularly but not pushing too hard.
I had to have a cardio version (electric shock) to put me back into sinus rhythm.
It worked thank funk, scary time.
I was in afib without realizing for several weeks. 120-170bpm sat still.

long story short I sorted my shit out, with a lot of help from Kuba Cielen.

Dropped a shit ton of drugs, lowered carbs considerably (as I just wasn’t utilizing food efficiently) big focus on daily steps and basically energy expenditure.

Eventually dropped the beta blockers and blood thinners after cardiologist was happy.
Resting HR dropped from 80/90 to 60/70.
This year has been a huge learning curve managing cardiovascular health in general.
Always experimenting and monitoring everything.
I now don’t use stims or stupendously high caffeinated pre’s etc
Gone are the days of dmma and tren suspension🤣

But bro, keeping myself moving, still pushing but listening to my body and pulling back if I feel too much strain.

I push now for performance, stamina and health but at this stage not sure if I could push through prep. I need way more beef to compete at a decent level.
So I’m pushing bro but watching the gauges constantly.

I had to have a cardio version (electric shock) to put me back into sinus rhythm.
It worked thank funk, scary time.
I was in afib without realizing for several weeks. 120-170bpm sat still.

long story short I sorted my shit out, with a lot of help from Kuba Cielen.

Dropped a shit ton of drugs, lowered carbs considerably (as I just wasn’t utilizing food efficiently) big focus on daily steps and basically energy expenditure.

Eventually dropped the beta blockers and blood thinners after cardiologist was happy.
Resting HR dropped from 80/90 to 60/70.
This year has been a huge learning curve managing cardiovascular health in general.
Always experimenting and monitoring everything.
I now don’t use stims or stupendously high caffeinated pre’s etc
Gone are the days of dmma and tren suspension🤣

But bro, keeping myself moving, still pushing but listening to my body and pulling back if I feel too much strain.

I push now for performance, stamina and health but at this stage not sure if I could push through prep. I need way more beef to compete at a decent level.
So I’m pushing bro but watching the gauges constantly.
Yeah, I've been cardioverted (defibrillated) about 5 times now in the er. Last time I had a fib. My implanted defibrillator has gone off a bunch of times. At least when you get cardioverted you are unconscious.

Glad to hear you are good now and don't even need drugs to treat it! Did you ever figure out the cause of your trouble? Mine of course is the heart attack I had in 08.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, and I know it’s the truth, I’ve known guys who are marathon runners and super healthy lifestyle who die at 60 and seen 90 year old men who drink regularly, eat like shit, get no exercise and smoked cigarettes since they were 12 lol..

I was just curious as to the studies or articles. And I just mean it in the sense of belief, that you can see guys like Goggins doing what they do and how does it not equate to better health compared to the average person in their 60’s when the average 60+ year old in the US has like 3-4 health issues from diabetes to heart disease or high blood pressure etc...

Or maybe I’m misconstruing something here, maybe lifespan doesn’t change but health does? There is a big difference between living to 80-90 years old and being active and happy and living the last 20 years of your life in and out of hospitals and procedures and on medications etc...

Shit, if I wanted longer life span I’d just do what the Italians and Spaniards and most Europeans do (my family is from those countries) the US is in last place in terms of lifespan of all the first world countries and first in line when it comes to stress and heart disease and many other ailments.. My great grandparents lived into their late 80’s and even some late 90’s and still working on the farms and being active. And from some docs that have come out about EU countries with very high life spans, Very low stress lifestyle, being moderately active (not necessarily lots of exercise), eating natural/healthy foods and surrounded by family/community and camaraderie/happiness seem to be what equate to people living long, healthy and happy lives..
Culture is a big factor for sure man
The difference between living in a city or a rural area for instance is massive, I can talk from experience there.

Parts of the UK are very slow paced and almost old fashioned like but man alive,most towns and cities are heaving with hectic. My Bp goes up just thinking about it.
With regards to longevity, I think we walk a very thin line and often don’t realize until it’s too late and have to slam the brakes on.

I think Dorian is in a good spot, or at least Instagram would have you think so.

Yeah, I've been cardioverted (defibrillated) about 5 times now in the er. Last time I had a fib. My implanted defibrillator has gone off a bunch of times. At least when you get cardioverted you are unconscious.

Glad to hear you are good now and don't even need drugs to treat it! Did you ever figure out the cause of your trouble? Mine of course is the heart attack I had in 08.
I was diagnosed 6-7 years ago but it was never a biggie.
I was big on heroin and crack before we had kids, scared me old ticker a tad!
I believe stress to be the main factor.
Stress that starts in the gut believe it or not.
When it kicks off it’s usually when dealing with some heavy shit with the wifey, like money and that.
I’ve four kids too bro so i have my hands full as it is haha

If my cardiologist is happy that I’m adhering to trt we are gonna go with the operation next year.
I was offered it at the start but said fk that when they told me the procedure 🤣
But I’ve had worse since
Did they put the camera down your throat to check heart valves?
I wanted to get out of hospital quick so refused to have the benzo’s they recommended 🙈 dude it was like being raped in the mouth, most humbling experience of my life!!
Are you on meds?
I have them to hand but ironically some are worse on cholesterol than some PED’S🙈

I am guessing Jim Fixx was before your time but he loved running and was promoting his newest book on it when he died during a run. But what an individual does is not representative of the whole.
I don't think you will find anything that show where healthy people die younger then others. Health and longevity are related in general. A buddy of mine had run 98 marathons and ultra's last I talked to him. And after his 20 mile days I would talk to him and he would talk about how much he hurt and he felt bad. But if he was making money off it I am sure he wouldn't have made those statements to the public.
If you want to see how healthy hard running is, pull up the blood work of runners every few hours for the rest of the day then for the next few days and see how long it takes to get back in the healthy range. If they do it a lot it never gets there. They have lowered hormone levels etc.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws