YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Peaking for stage , being flat or spilled over.

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
The last few shows I've been to I've had the chance to talk to some of the people competing and it seems like 95% of them think they didn't look as good as they should because they didn't carb up enough or carbed up to soon And spilled over.

After talking with them and hearing what they are to carb up I'm willing to bet that the vast majority simply cut their water to early and got dehydrated and flat. A couple did certainly eat to much and spill over by getting 1000g carbs during the week and not cut their water till Friday night but they said they looked smooth on Thursday.

A couple guy that looked good seem to have a idea that they measure out their urine put and they would take in 1/2 what they put out. They had their water intake high all week , then Friday morning started eating carbs at 100g per sitting and stop there water. After lunch the start to measure the urine and that dictate how much water they get , if they pee 500ml the drink 250ml and so on the rest of the day and night. The idea behind the is is that they never get dehydrated but don't have enough water to spill over. (I don't know who their coach was)

I always see people looking great the week before the show then they look terrible on stage and I think most of the time it's because they are dehydrated due to not managing their water and cutting it way to soon or taking diuretics.

The last few times I've competed I looked best by just have a big steak and some potatoes after weigh in then cut water around 8pm and have a few hundred grams carbs spaced out till prejudging.

The measurement of the pee thing has me interested on how that would work ,has anyone ever tried that.??

I think it usually is an issue with sodium when you look flat rather than carbs. I always used to reintroduce a good amount of sodium the morning of the show to draw in any subq water and help to get a pump.

This is why everyone is different. I had a friend 2 days after the show he look 10 times better! Every show!

Do they measure there shits to see how much to eat to?

Its not just a, "Oh they did this and that's why they didn't look good."
Every single person handles their carbs, sodium and water differently.
Completeloy subjective experience being that lean AND trying to peek the look.

Some guys' bodies just can hold that look a long time....others have it for 15 mins.

I studied with John Parrillo He always said if it's not broke don't fix it. So many athletes ruined there chances by making stupid decisions in the last week or two. He Always said if you look good two weeks out, LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE! I was a power lifter and a pre-contest expert for many years. I trained tons of of NPC, IFBB, state and national champions (Including my wife) One year I had 3 athletes in the Olympia. I worked and still work (semi retired) at the biggest hardest gym on the East Coast of America. Stop with the stupid decisions last minute. A few years ago we had a overseas Mr. Olympia contender come to our gym for the last two weeks before the Olympia. He came in to practice his routine, he was 294lbs 4-5% bodyfat. We all said top 3 for sure, amazing physique. His over seas buddies came over and put him on their special pre-contest tune up. They had him eat a large bag of potato chips every half hour for the last week. Sodium load, Carb load, calorie and fat load. He lost everything!!!!! Muscles went away. Cuts went away. He did not make the top 15 cut. Never competed again. He was a shoe in for top 3!

Once you start fucking up the sodium/potassium balance your going down a deep rabbit hole that you had best understand before going in. Best bet is to not fuck with ANYTHING if your looking good going into the final week.

it's a damn shame when guys ruin their prep by trying some last minute woo woo

It seems like common sense to most of us, but why do guys do it every fuckin time? Is it some kinda psychological fuckery, diet brain telling you that yea, you look good now...just wait until you get a hold of that fuckin junk food, son! And wash that shit down good! I mean what the hell?

I think a problem with going flat is cutting water too early and not reintroducing sodium into some meals before the show.

It seems like common sense to most of us, but why do guys do it every fuckin time? Is it some kinda psychological fuckery, diet brain telling you that yea, you look good now...just wait until you get a hold of that fuckin junk food, son! And wash that shit down good! I mean what the hell?

The bodybuilder (and guru) always believes that he can look better, it is his obsession and his need to control and manipulate things, he gets a kind of pleasure taking risks, and he can always tell to others (competitor or guru) how brilliant is with these last minute changes. If things go wrong, he will say he has to try another strategy next time so he can learn more about his body, and that's it.

For the vast majority of competitors, its seems like a good idea to error on the side of being a bit too flat in order to really show off your conditioning. Most local shows will award the hardest, most conditioned dude...not the fullest and roundest.

This applies to MOST local level shows and most competitors under 220. I feel like once you get to the pro level (i'd be interested to hear what Bboy says) and/or you're a SHW, fullness becomes a variable you reallllly need to manage to show off just the sheer amount of muscle your frame can hold.

I only measured my pee when I cut weight for classic , other than that it’s useless, if you’re not shredded 2 weeks out, don’t step on stage.
Don’t cut water too early. Cut it before bed the day before, most of us do that on daily basis
don’t cut sodium, just lower it a day out then increase it when you cut water
Look In the mirror when you carb up, you will notice your fullness when your shredded. If your not full, eat more.

I personally had to cut fluid early the day before. I always carb on Thursday for Saturday show and cut water almost almost all Friday and most of Saturday. Trying to dry out and carb up was not so good for me. Increased sodium on Saturday and only drink small amounts throughout day. Diuretics would make me go flat and nothing could be done. I know everyone responds differently but as a super heavy I had to try to be drier and lean because I was jot usually the biggest.

Once you start fucking up the sodium/potassium balance your going down a deep rabbit hole that you had best understand before going in. Best bet is to not fuck with ANYTHING if your looking good going into the final week.

An ex-IFBB guy i know who is a doctor says really its about a 4:1 potassium to sodium ratio, on stage or not

For the vast majority of competitors, its seems like a good idea to error on the side of being a bit too flat in order to really show off your conditioning. Most local shows will award the hardest, most conditioned dude...not the fullest and roundest.

This applies to MOST local level shows and most competitors under 220. I feel like once you get to the pro level (i'd be interested to hear what Bboy says) and/or you're a SHW, fullness becomes a variable you reallllly need to manage to show off just the sheer amount of muscle your frame can hold.
This exactly what I found to be true for a long ass time, but in the last 5-10 years, I've noticed that local/state level shows (national qualifiers) tend to reward structure and roundness/fullness over conditioning. I think they often feel people who are extremely hard but not as full should be in other divisions perhaps? I don't know, but it definitely seems like a recent trend.

As to the OP, I think people who aren't big enough will always chalk it up to be "a lack of fullness" and people who aren't lean enough will always say they "spilled over" so these comments always happen even if it has nothing to do with peak week protocols.

An ex-IFBB guy i know who is a doctor says really its about a 4:1 potassium to sodium ratio, on stage or not
I hope you mean 4:1 sodium to potassium, I would think the opposite would get you into serious trouble, fast.

I hope you mean 4:1 sodium to potassium, I would think the opposite would get you into serious trouble, fast.

More potassium, water is stored intramuscularly.

More sodium, it's stored between muscle and skin... Making you look fat.

I'm far from an expert on water manipulation, never competed, stepped on stage or know the inner secrets of water manipulation, but i thought it was pretty common knowledge that you control water weight and "bloat" with diet rich in potassium (greens, broccoli, mushrooms, almonds, yams, etc) and low in sodium/starches/sugar.

I've personally never heard of someone having issues because they ate waaaaaay too much spinach, kale, broccoli, mushrooms or yams.

Diuretics and potassium supps are i think a diff story.

i never manipulated sodium. dont think its really necassary if PEELED.
-F

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost