YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Something I never thought of causing a bad day at the gym.

Yeah they are off but if you start thinking about it too much you might be hindering your workouts by over thinking it. That's why I try and keep the same brand of plates equal on each side of the bar. My training buddy will freak out if one plate is not matching the opposite side and he'll moan and groan that it's going to be lopsided etc. I just tell him get in and lift the damn weight and bitch and cry afterwards. Now this is with warm up poundages not max LOL.
I mean I train at home now so it's a non issue. When I came across this I just assumed for decades, all 45 plates were 45 lbs.
Made me think that maybe on some of those really off days where I was really weak or missed a lift, maybe I just got a combination of extra heavy plates on the bar.

Here is a PROVEN BRO-FACT. Fuck science. This is real:

Solid metal plates are heavier than any plates that have rubber on them even if they are marked the same.

:ROFLMAO:

The biggest difference is really with the old-school dumbbells. Their labeled weight sometimes is only the sum of the plates on them and does not include the handle and the caps. At 130-160lbs this was about 10-12 additional pounds on each. Plus the suckers were just awkward to get in position.

Also factor in when half the dam plates are chipped broken off from them being chucked on the ground a billion times now they aren’t 20kg plates

Solid metal plates are heavier than any plates that have rubber on them even if they are marked the same.

Damn right, always. There's some mind fuckery for ya lol So weird how our senses tell us something is lighter based only on texture. When that wheel is cold and hard, it's gotta be at least 50!

Damn right, always. There's some mind fuckery for ya lol So weird how our senses tell us something is lighter based only on texture. When that wheel is cold and hard, it's gotta be at least 50!
There's actually something to that..... I ran across this when I was originally looking at the variance in weights:
In short, the force exertion for the smoother metal weights is higher to maintain grip giving the illusion of the item being heavier.

The worst plates are in those stupid European gyms. I was in a hurry to make my flight out of Paris so just threw 5 of those dinky 20lb plates on each side of the bench. Dunno what happened, but took 3 guys to get the bar off my chest😳

I've now this because when I'm racking plates on a machine. Some of them when I lift them I. Like wtf this bitch feels so heavy

I noticed this long ago. A pit I trained in had good quality dense metal plates which can be noticeably different then those made of cheap pot metal. Along with calibrated plates since there were many competitors there. And the owner was a rep for the USPF. Some of the guys liked going over to the Gold's gym down the block to train because they could bench 35 pounds more with their plates.

I've seen guys back in the day when we had 44 and 45lb plates. The damndest thing was watching a guy put 44lb plates say 4 on each side while benching and most would be doing a max or something but the minute you slapped 45s man more often than not most would have that mental block it's too heavy! Craziest thing and funny.

My friend told me for years that if the gym doesn’t have iron plates that he wouldn’t work out there and I used to always mock him for it. He would say the workouts were better and he would get more out of it.

I was at the YMCA for years and years they closed last year and my new gym has iron plates and I shit you not he was 100% right! Totally mental I’m sure but still!

My gym plates are all spot on, Milled Yorks and Ivankos. The cheap chinese crap is all over the place (Weiders, Fitness Gear, Golds Gym etc).
Us weird "barbell collectors" have known this for a long time.

Especially the dumbbells. You can see some wear and tear on them especially the hex shaped db’s the corners start rounding off. Time to replace them! Please!

I have roughly 3000lbs worth of plates that I've accumulated over the years.

I use my normal commercial gym plates year around...but! If I'm prepping for a powerlifting meet I exclusively switch to my calibrated plates.

Just something recent I learned that i find interesting and i never knew so maybe some of you dont either.
So in my search for home equipment I came across something that explains those bad days in the gym when diet, rest and hormones aren't the culprit. Its the weights. It's seriously the weights.
When that 315 feels extra heavy its probably because it is or last week you didn't lift 315 at all.
I weighed each plate I purchased and not 1 was 45 lbs on the dot. So I called a few friends that have home gyms and same thing...
Except for 1 guy who spent the money on rogue calibrated plates.
Same thing with dumbells, I asked a friend who works at the commercial gym I used to go to to weight the 100 lb dumbells for me. 1 was 98 lbs and the other was 101.5
Then I started doing homework and came across a Mark Rippetoe video that confirms my suspicion.
Over 20 years of training I just now discovered that, unless they're high end competition plates, or you use the exact same plates every week at the gym, youre likely never lifting the same weight 2 workouts in a row.
Did you seriously just figure this out? Needed to write a thread about it even...

Did you seriously just figure this out? Needed to write a thread about it even...
Yeah, thats the point. Ive been training for 20 years and always assumed the weight written on it was correct other than wear. I literally just found out about that.
Did you seriously waste your obviously precious time commenting on a thread you dont like?
See? Same thing. Its a big board, if you dont like a thread, just move on.

Yeah, thats the point. Ive been training for 20 years and always assumed the weight written on it was correct other than wear. I literally just found out about that.
Did you seriously waste your obviously precious time commenting on a thread you dont like?
See? Same thing. Its a big board, if you dont like a thread, just move on.
Yeah, I could have skimmed right by your fine thread here...but I felt like being a dick and that's my God given right.

Fwiw i only learned the weights dont always add up a year or so ago too. I have weights at home and one day I noticed a dumbbell heavier than the other so i got out the kitchen scale and if you can believe this some of my older standard plates were off by nearly a full pound (5s and under i never got around to weighing the 10s.) At the end of the day tho I dont think your body even notices the discrepancy. At least i dont anyway.

I discovered it about 5-7 years ago. Since then, I borrowed the accurate scale we have at work and weighed all my weights. Those that were way low, I sold. The accurate ones I kept and marked the actual weights with a paint pen. The heavier ones I trimmed some of the weight off with an angle grinder and then marked them with the paint pen. I had an oly bar that only weighed 40 lbs :eek:

If you're lifting at home, I would 100% take an accurate scale with you to Play It Again Sports or wherever you buy your weights. Take your wife and girlfriend if you're too embarrassed and let them carry it in a large bag.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear