over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Petellar tendon pain and wraps....

tkav1980

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Im trying to decide on the best course of action to treat patellar tendon pain that returned as strength took a jump.
Im not concerned that the issue is stemming from form rather that its the tendon not being able to repair quickly enough between training sessions. Causing a cumulative effect.

After some homework, I find 2 possible solutions.
1 is to use knee sleeves or wraps
2 is to back off on weight and add volume to each set. Increase the warmup prior to work sets.

My concern with option 1 is that it could simply mask the pain and lead to an actual injury down the road, but I'm not sure if that concern has any merit.
My concern with option 2 is that my legs respond best to lower reps and heavier weight.
That being said, some work is better than none if I end up injured and can't train for some time.

Im thinking there has to be another option that still allows me to make progress and im simply not thinking of it or don't know about it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dealing with injuries is not me strong suit.

Tendon problems usually require rest to resolve. It hurts because something's gone wrong there and if you continue to work it you don't give it a chance to heal - aka not repairing quickly enough between training sessions as you put it.

Your best option is to take a week off training legs, maybe ice / heat the area, and assess from there.

I have the same problem, I have had extreme knee pain and for the last three years I haven't been able to do any form of squat. But in the end, I figured out a way.
I found the right position for the hack mashine (roller under the upper part of the back + revers band) and in this position my knees are in a comfortable position because the hip is more shifted back.

My quads training tactic-

1st I do leg curl hard
2nd exercise is to straighten the legs on a high volume, e.g. 4-5x30 to pump as much blood as possible and warm up the joints.
3rd, I do heavy revers band hacks squats, work to a heavy set of 5-8 reps and then do another 4x4 cluster (here I use sleeves for the knees and set wraps in the heaviest)
4-go to leg press and here I only use sleeves, I do them alternatively every week, once for 20 repetitions, once for 10 in 5-6 sets)
5- I go back to straightening the legs again and do them in clusters

In addition, I use DMSO gel + capsaicin gel before training so that the knees are really well supplied with blood.

wear knee sleeves
warm up glutes thoroughly
find exercises that DONT cause pain
slow down rep speed
controlled eccentric
dont bounce out of the hole
control every portion of the rep

I have the same problem, I have had extreme knee pain and for the last three years I haven't been able to do any form of squat. But in the end, I figured out a way.
I found the right position for the hack mashine (roller under the upper part of the back + revers band) and in this position my knees are in a comfortable position because the hip is more shifted back.

My quads training tactic-

1st I do leg curl hard
2nd exercise is to straighten the legs on a high volume, e.g. 4-5x30 to pump as much blood as possible and warm up the joints.
3rd, I do heavy revers band hacks squats, work to a heavy set of 5-8 reps and then do another 4x4 cluster (here I use sleeves for the knees and set wraps in the heaviest)
4-go to leg press and here I only use sleeves, I do them alternatively every week, once for 20 repetitions, once for 10 in 5-6 sets)
5- I go back to straightening the legs again and do them in clusters

In addition, I use DMSO gel + capsaicin gel before training so that the knees are really well supplied with blood.
Im thinking I can warm up quads with walking lunges. I train at home and only have a power rack for now.
Maybe walking lunges, 3 sets 40 reps with just the bar after hitting Romanian leg curls and sldl

Zero drop shoes instead of elevated heel shoes will help decrease patellar tendon pain.

I've gotten chronic right knee pain for long time now and use wraps.Not the full size powerlifting but shorter ones. I work out at home too so kind of limited on my exercise options. Works fine for me.

A lot of great answers here from experienced lifters. As you can see it's not just you tkav. I like all the answers and I would definitely take a week off like daniel suggested! I know BPC-157 has been helpful to many lifters as well, just make sure it's only inflammation and not an actual injury (It sounds like it's just inflammation). lukki's answer is important, as it pertains to the balance that's needed between the quads and hams!!

Dealing with same issue but like most of us time off doesn’t sound to appealing. I currently have 7mm neoprene knee sleeves but feel they limit ROM for movements. Going to try 3mm, will try to remember to report back on how it works out.

I def would get to the root vs mask the problem. What are your goals, to just increase your squat? Be careful, I assume you are atlest in 30's. Weigh quality of life vs beating the logbook lol. Knee injuries are no joke I'd def be cautious.

I def would get to the root vs mask the problem. What are your goals, to just increase your squat? Be careful, I assume you are atlest in 30's. Weigh quality of life vs beating the logbook lol. Knee injuries are no joke I'd def be cautious.
Hey QB, im 40.
I have to do some variation of a squat for legs because I only have a power rack. So squats, and lunges until I can source some additional equipment.
I've gone all in on a garage gym so no backing out now.

What rep range do you usually work in for squats ?

Tkav were you training before this or did you just start back? It's easy to over do it and irritate the tendons! Unless you have an existing injury or suspect you may have recently injured the knee, just back off of the weight and volume for a short time. Again, leave the quads alone for a week. Maybe hit hams, calves and the rest of the body instead.

Tkav were you training before this or did you just start back? It's easy to over do it and irritate the tendons! Unless you have an existing injury or suspect you may have recently injured the knee, just back off of the weight and volume for a short time. Again, leave the quads alone for a week. Maybe hit hams, calves and the rest of the body instead.
Yeah I just started back up roughly 7 weeks ago. I was limited on weights training at home until I was able to source more locally. I'm thinking the jump of 90 lbs may have over stressed the tendon.

Hey QB, im 40.
I have to do some variation of a squat for legs because I only have a power rack. So squats, and lunges until I can source some additional equipment.
I've gone all in on a garage gym so no backing out now.
front squats or zercher might allow you to lighten the load, also split squats (I laughed when I saw people do them but thy are hard and hit balance too, more HIIT type stuff).

Stretch you quads daily and or multiple times daily. I would also stretch your legs a whole bunch before and after your training session along with a slow progression to your heavy sets so you are nice and warmed up. What ever feels heavy following a bunch of stretching and warming up should be your new "heavy". Remember you are trying to stress the muscle and not the tendon.

I find if you put equal time strength training as stretching you stay injury free and its when you slack on stretching you end up injuring yourself.

And you do not want a quad rupture. This pain may be your warning you can listen to or look back and wish you did.

I 100% agree with qbkilla on the split squats
they are hard af and can crush your quads, hams, and glutes depending on your foot placement
I would suggest upping your reps as well if hypertrophy is your main goal
45-60secs minimum with time under tension

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads