over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

My CT Scan & Calcium Score Results

thats gotta feel good to hear. i'm afraid to have one done. not because i fear bad results but because i would have great results and immediately commence to upping the dose and blasting away into my 50's. i also have no clotting factors as determined by prior testing. congrats.

thats gotta feel good to hear. i'm afraid to have one done. not because i fear bad results but because i would have great results and immediately commence to upping the dose and blasting away into my 50's. i also have no clotting factors as determined by prior testing. congrats.

Right! A license for stupidity!! I get it. Luckily I don't get crazy with gear.

Dave Palumbo talks about Calcium Score at the 30 minute mark. It's pretty amazing the series of events that unfolded for him because he got the scan.

i go in for my 3 month bloodwork and trt script renewal first week of june. i'm gonna have one scheduled.

Reactions: Bio
I have long overdue bloodwork tomorrow. I doubt my insurance will pay for a calcium score since I cant get them to pay for BRCA genetic testing and my mom had the BRCA gene.

Ill have to pay for this out of pocket at some point.

i go in for my 3 month bloodwork and trt script renewal first week of june. i'm gonna have one scheduled.

• Sad
Yes. This year was the worst! I wasn't going to go into it but if it helps someone then it's worth it. I was on Humira when Covid hit. I came off due to Humira lowering the immune system. It wasn't fun. I had to up pain medication and Ibuprofen. My doctor eventually put me on Otezla since it's not a biologic (Doesn't effect the immune system). It's not approved for AS yet but she kept me stocked with samples while she was trying to get it approved with the insurance company. I used it off and on because the side effects were rough for me...bad nausea and headaches. I already get cervicogenic headaches from thoracic and cervical inflammation, which are just like migraines. It sucks because they last for days! The last one lasted 4 days. Otezla did help some joints but not with my SI Joint pain. So, my doctor put me on Cocentyx, another biologic in February. To start it, I had to be off of Otezla for a week. Within two to three days the pain was crippling. That's also when the 4 day headache/migraine started. It showed me what I really am without medication. The pain was excruciating and I walked with a bad limp. My feet, ankles, right knee, left elbow and hands were in terrible pain. Pain meds and Ibuprofen were less effective than ever...barely touched the pain. I started to organize my garage for the remodel and gym project. The first day my back went out and the second, third and fourth days my hands swelled up. I couldn't get my wedding ring off. My wife said, "I can't see your knuckles." The pain was terrible too! On February 24th I started the Cocentyx. It takes some time to work but even after a week I felt some relief in the smaller joints. Cocentyx is one shot a month. I just had my second shot on March 24th. I still have joint pain but not near as bad. Hopefully it keeps improving! My spine surgeon let me know that he is willing to fuse my SI Joint if the medication didn't relieve it and doesn't show any progress on fusing itself. My SI Joint has been pretty bad for the last two years. Makes my entire right hip hurts all the time and keeps me in a constant state of bursitis. It also causes sciatica due to the amount of inflammation surrounding the nerve(s). The Cocentyx is taking the pain down some but it's still too prominent.

Working out is a double edged sword. Sometimes it helps and other times it aggravates it. I train around the pain and do what I can.
Interesting. Migraines come from the inflammation of the eyes? caused by ankylosing?

My calcium score was 78.
What was the scoring scale? By typical standards this is pretty good. Several hundred is the start for concern and into the 1000 you are asking for it.

You have a clotting disorder, Factor V Leiden, correct?

With all the surgeries I've had, I have to go through a pre-surgical workup. For one of my surgeries I still had elevated RBC and Hematocrit so they tested me for polycythemia and some other clotting disorders. Thankfully I tested negative for those.
Factor 2 prothrombin disorder. The disorder on its own wasn't really enough on its own to cause the blockage. They think a real thin layer of plaque broke off maybe, and then the clot happened there. It happened when I was squatting heavy, so maybe BP related since that rises high during the movement. I was 9n steroids at the time too, and those increase clotting. Perfect storm perhaps.

You have so many other health problems, I'm glad you don't have clotting problems too! Great news, and the scan too.

Main thing that worries me, others that have a good scan might use that to justify steroid abuse in the future because they currently have clear arteries. A sort of bullet proof attitude. I can see how some younger guys might be like that.

Yes. This year was the worst! I wasn't going to go into it but if it helps someone then it's worth it. I was on Humira when Covid hit. I came off due to Humira lowering the immune system. It wasn't fun. I had to up pain medication and Ibuprofen. My doctor eventually put me on Otezla since it's not a biologic (Doesn't effect the immune system). It's not approved for AS yet but she kept me stocked with samples while she was trying to get it approved with the insurance company. I used it off and on because the side effects were rough for me...bad nausea and headaches. I already get cervicogenic headaches from thoracic and cervical inflammation, which are just like migraines. It sucks because they last for days! The last one lasted 4 days. Otezla did help some joints but not with my SI Joint pain. So, my doctor put me on Cocentyx, another biologic in February. To start it, I had to be off of Otezla for a week. Within two to three days the pain was crippling. That's also when the 4 day headache/migraine started. It showed me what I really am without medication. The pain was excruciating and I walked with a bad limp. My feet, ankles, right knee, left elbow and hands were in terrible pain. Pain meds and Ibuprofen were less effective than ever...barely touched the pain. I started to organize my garage for the remodel and gym project. The first day my back went out and the second, third and fourth days my hands swelled up. I couldn't get my wedding ring off. My wife said, "I can't see your knuckles." The pain was terrible too! On February 24th I started the Cocentyx. It takes some time to work but even after a week I felt some relief in the smaller joints. Cocentyx is one shot a month. I just had my second shot on March 24th. I still have joint pain but not near as bad. Hopefully it keeps improving! My spine surgeon let me know that he is willing to fuse my SI Joint if the medication didn't relieve it and doesn't show any progress on fusing itself. My SI Joint has been pretty bad for the last two years. Makes my entire right hip hurts all the time and keeps me in a constant state of bursitis. It also causes sciatica due to the amount of inflammation surrounding the nerve(s). The Cocentyx is taking the pain down some but it's still too prominent.

Working out is a double edged sword. Sometimes it helps and other times it aggravates it. I train around the pain and do what I can.
I've got SI joint problems too, but not as severe as yours. When that hurts ,I don't feel like doing anything. Terrible pain.

Woo FANTASTIC results brother. Passed with flying colors.
I NEED to get some bloodwork ASAP and this is pushing me in the right direction.

Thank you brother.

I had my CT scan for my calcium score (artery health) this morning. I got the results in just under an hour! I'll be 52 in April and have played with hormones for quite some time. The longest break I had was 7 years due to a spine surgery and severe pain. I've also had inflammatory disease for 35 years, Ankylosing Spondylitis.

The results...

Findings:
CORONARY ARTERY CALCIUM SCORE: 0
Left Main: 0
Circumflex: 0
RCA: 0

WOO HOO!! I'm relieved! I didn't expect it to be that good but I'm happy it is!! The test wasn't covered by insurance, don't bother covering a proactive test...smh...but it was only $150 out of pocket!
That's Great news. I have not had one yet. I have had several nuclear stress tests and everything looks good but do you think it is still a good idea to get the Calcium test. My doc doesn't seem to think so but My brother died of a heart attack at 48 so Im thinking I should regardless of what my cardio doc says.

Interesting. Migraines come from the inflammation of the eyes? caused by ankylosing?

Iritis is one of the side effects of AS. Plus the issues in the neck can lead to a cervicogenic headache which is similar to a migraine.

Ankylosing Spondylitis Migraines

Migraines are also relatively common amongst patients with this disorder.

This particular complication related to the disorder is not caused by the effects of Ankylosing Spondylitis on the bones of the body, but rather due to the complications that affect the eyes of the patient.

The iris may become inflamed, which may lead to pain, not only developing in the eye itself but also in the surrounding areas. This may cause the patient to experience headaches as well, as reported by Arthritis-health.

https://zayedmd.com/ankylosing-spondylitis/

Some good references if anyone is interested. A lot of overlap but good resources...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ankylosing-spondylitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20354808

https://spondylitis.org/About-Spondylitis/Types-of-Spondylitis/Ankylosing-Spondylitis/

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/9518/ankylosing-spondylitis

https://www.arthritis-health.com/ty...tis/5-unusual-ankylosing-spondylitis-symptoms

And yes I was tested and have the HLA-B27 gene. Plus this disease runs in my family...grandfather (deceased), uncle and cousin. My grandfather's entire spine fused as well as where the ribs meet the sternum. He lived to be 94...died in 2008. He was ahead of his time. He knew the disease can cause someone to become permanently hunched forward so he made a contraption to fit under his chin/jaw and around the head and he would "hang" himself in the closet. As everything fused, he was straight up and down...stayed 6'2" his entire life! LOL!!

Two years ago there was a possibility that I might have a bone spur on my right hip joint. Luckily it turned out to just be pain from all the inflammation in the SI Joint. Before the MRI that revealed it was just inflammation, the hip doc told that if I have a bone spur there's nothing he can do about it. He said if he went in and removed it the AS would "explode" (his word) and more bone spurs and calcification would spread. He said I would have to endure the pain as long as I could and then have a hip replacement. THANKFULLY it was just inflammation!!

I told that doctor that I didn't get diagnosed until my mid/late 40's. He said, "You haven't been on a biologic until a couple of years ago?" I said, "Yep." He said, "I don't know what you've been doing but whatever it is, keep it up!" I truly believe that working out has put me far ahead of others with AS. The gym is magic!

That's Great news. I have not had one yet. I have had several nuclear stress tests and everything looks good but do you think it is still a good idea to get the Calcium test. My doc doesn't seem to think so but My brother died of a heart attack at 48 so Im thinking I should regardless of what my cardio doc says.

Why not? $99 to $150 is nothing to give you piece of mind or save your life! Think about what is spent on gear, food, etc.

I know you have a few other issues going on but at least you can take comfort in the fact your heart seems to be working well!

I found the tests can be deceiving for some, but all your numbers look great (So nothing deceiving there). Friend of mine in his 60's also had zero calcium, but had triple-bypass surgery (almost died) not long after.
I scored over 400 myself (which can be alarming), and then did all the intrusive follow-ups (stress-echo, nuclear-stress test), said mine was from statins doing their job, calcifying potential plaque, no blockages, ejection fraction of 65% which is great, normal heart, no valvular disease, etc. All tests came back as very good/normal.

With your other numbers and that score of zero, I have no doubt you have nothing to worry about. Mine came from very high lipids (familial issue) and statins doing their thing.

Looking good...

I found the tests can be deceiving for some, but all your numbers look great (So nothing deceiving there). Friend of mine in his 60's also had zero calcium, but had triple-bypass surgery (almost died) not long after.
I scored over 400 myself (which can be alarming), and then did all the intrusive follow-ups (stress-echo, nuclear-stress test), said mine was from statins doing their job, calcifying potential plaque, no blockages, ejection fraction of 65% which is great, normal heart, no valvular disease, etc. All tests came back as very good/normal.

With your other numbers and that score of zero, I have no doubt you have nothing to worry about. Mine came from very high lipids (familial issue) and statins doing their thing.

Looking good...
Yeah, its the soft plaque that is dangerous. It is kind of like glue that has dried a crust on the outside but is still soft inside. If that ruptures, its trouble.

Looking good...

Just curious, where were your lipids at pre statin treatment?

Also, (this is for anyone to answer). Does using Red Yeast Rice Extract calcify plaque as well?

What was the scoring scale? By typical standards this is pretty good. Several hundred is the start for concern and into the 1000 you are asking for it.
Yeah...it is "pretty good." I believe anything under 100 is good. Then 101-499 was moderate risk. 500+ was high risk. So it's not terrible. But the mere fact that a bunch of dudes in terrible shape were ZERO and a guy like me who trains all the time and eats well was 78 is a bummer. One guy who tested at ZERO literally runs a blog on hot dogs. He travels the nation eating hot dogs and blogs about his eating experiences. He is almost 60 and has done this for years. Calcium score...zero. Go figure.

Calcium score...zero. Go figure.
Cool. I just wanted to make sure you weren't worrying about it as your score was fine. Yeah, genetics are a bitch sometimes but just repeat the test in 5-7 years to gauge how fast your are getting build up. Best of luck brother.

I had my CT scan for my calcium score (artery health) this morning. I got the results in just under an hour! I'll be 52 in April and have played with hormones for quite some time. The longest break I had was 7 years due to a spine surgery and severe pain. I've also had inflammatory disease for 35 years, Ankylosing Spondylitis.

The results...

Findings:
CORONARY ARTERY CALCIUM SCORE: 0
Left Main: 0
Circumflex: 0
RCA: 0

WOO HOO!! I'm relieved! I didn't expect it to be that good but I'm happy it is!! The test wasn't covered by insurance, don't bother covering a proactive test...smh...but it was only $150 out of pocket!

Great news Bio!

And mine was exactly the same score. 0’s. Stainless steel tubing for arteries.

Strange as my cholesterol is / has (?) been considered ‘bad’ and they want to shove a bunch of pills down my throat. Have yet to figure this one out.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member