over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Big Dave Smith showing why he is a Hoss

Pimp you realize that's our Big Dave Smith?
Holly shit he is I just realized that
Darn big Dave my bad brother ha ha ha brain fart on me

That’s more of an hour long conversation than a short answer

Key factors
-Food
-Varying intensity for both bjj and gym
-Sleep
-No kids
-Live alone
-Making them both priorities

I train when I’m tired, I train when I’m injured, I train most days of the month. HOW that is done is more complicated.

I’m certainly not doing a high volume leg days to failure and running off to 2 hours of grappling.

If you listen to wrestlers talk about their sport, US wrestlers were all horsepower and endurance, but Russian wrestlers were more technical. US wrestlers were injured more frequently. Why? US wrestlers trained at max all the time, Russians would use less intensity and more repetition. That’s not saying Russians weren’t elite with their condition, or that US wrestlers weren’t technical... but each country sort of learned the benefits of each other’s methods, eventually marrying the two as time went on.

Long story short, it’s the how, when, and why of training. More isn’t better. Harder isn’t better. Better is better.

Great post. But you answered it simply for ME when you mentioned living alone and no kids lol.

Dave is a legit comic book character

Big, skilled, flexible, and cardiovascularly conditioned

The train regardless of fatigue, and auto-regulate is very much how Danaher, and his squad trains as well. Wonder if you've ever rolled with any of his students?

I wouldn't mess w/ Big Dave (or any of those guys) if you paid me...

3-4 days lifting
3-4 days bjj

Seems like you have a good balance going between the two. What about work and a wife/girlfriend/partner? Do you have any plans to compete in bodybuilding or jiujitsu again?

I hated watching that it made me feel small and weak.

Not only that, but I'd probably hurt myself a lot more than the person I'd try any of that shit on

Which really, really makes me wake take up either BJJ or some sort of grappling art (I'm short) as not only an extra workout, but possibly unfuck a couple nagging injuries

Or just end up hurting myself a lot worse

Not only that, but I'd probably hurt myself a lot more than the person I'd try any of that shit on

Which really, really makes me wake take up either BJJ or some sort of grappling art (I'm short) as not only an extra workout, but possibly unfuck a couple nagging injuries

Im sure that not only is it great for flexibility, but also for cardiovascular health/cardio. It would sure be a lot more fun than walking on a treadmill for 45 minutes. There is an intellectual side to it too, almost like playing chess. Wish I had taken up martial arts. Right now with my heart so weak it wouldnt be safe for me.

Honestly, with proper warm up, and learning to move on the mat, it's a pretty safe thing to do. It's not really a dynamic sport where you're taking big falls or changes in kinetic energy

Biggest thing I realized was just how stiff we become doing unilateral type movements in the gym, the beginnings of a Kimura might be a definitive tap, because your shoulders have terrible mobility where most guys can adjust or try to defend from that position. Hips have terrible flexibility so trapping an arm for a triangle is hard even when drilling. A single leg x drills will cramp your abs and core like nothing else lol

Having chill training partners who can flow roll, and help you work on technique is a huge bonus. Biggest bonus like Maldorf mentioned is developing good conditioning, and any mobility related pain in areas like your lower back, and neck disappear as you become more mobile.

P.S- I hurt my knee badly wrestling for a takedown (planting foot during a trip like an idiot); I always like to tell people that as BJJ itself never caused me any injuries

Honestly, with proper warm up, and learning to move on the mat, it's a pretty safe thing to do. It's not really a dynamic sport where you're taking big falls or changes in kinetic energy

Biggest thing I realized was just how stiff we become doing unilateral type movements in the gym, the beginnings of a Kimura might be a definitive tap, because your shoulders have terrible mobility where most guys can adjust or try to defend from that position. Hips have terrible flexibility so trapping an arm for a triangle is hard even when drilling. A single leg x drills will cramp your abs and core like nothing else lol

Having chill training partners who can flow roll, and help you work on technique is a huge bonus. Biggest bonus like Maldorf mentioned is developing good conditioning, and any mobility related pain in areas like your lower back, and neck disappear as you become more mobile.

P.S- I hurt my knee badly wrestling for a takedown (planting foot during a trip like an idiot); I always like to tell people that as BJJ itself never caused me any injuries

Mobility is another huge reason. I'm probably more flexible and mobile than most, but holy God, relative to where I could be, mine is just absolute dogshit

There are apparently some really well spoken of studios here, I'll take a look

Good to see you popping in Beast...Badass video man!

Key factors
-Food

^^^brother ..to say the least, that was incredibly impressive!!

..can't help but wonder how many calories/day you need for all this? (..esp carbs)

That’s more of an hour long conversation than a short answer

Key factors
-Food
-Varying intensity for both bjj and gym
-Sleep
-No kids
-Live alone
-Making them both priorities

I train when I’m tired, I train when I’m injured, I train most days of the month. HOW that is done is more complicated.

I’m certainly not doing a high volume leg days to failure and running off to 2 hours of grappling.

If you listen to wrestlers talk about their sport, US wrestlers were all horsepower and endurance, but Russian wrestlers were more technical. US wrestlers were injured more frequently. Why? US wrestlers trained at max all the time, Russians would use less intensity and more repetition. That’s not saying Russians weren’t elite with their condition, or that US wrestlers weren’t technical... but each country sort of learned the benefits of each other’s methods, eventually marrying the two as time went on.

Long story short, it’s the how, when, and why of training. More isn’t better. Harder isn’t better. Better is better.
are you doing all this by feel or do you sort of periodize? Ive been lifting foever nowhere near your size but started bjj and I dont feel like Ive lost anything but beginning was going way too hard rolling, not having any clue what I was doing and turning it into a wrestling match using mostly strength. my instructor has told me its super common for stronger ppl to do that when starting ...seems like the main thing that could hinder me is getting my elbows, shoulders, wriists a bit beat up and it effecting my workouts. I think the idea of maybe going maintenanance or even slightly below for lifting while focusing on bjj for say 3 to 6 months at a time ...and then switching back might make sense.

For an FYI....Dave was on Blood Sweat, and Gear podcast a few months back and talked some on what he does.

I remember that Guy....at 21 or so he was the biggest guy at the LA Shitness I managed trainers at(used to eat full buckets of chicken)LOL...damn that was 15-17yrs ago

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131