YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Competing or not, who here works with a coach and who here does their own diet?

I have always done my own, and when I competed I studied Matt Porter and took points and implemented them into my already existing knowledge base. I knew how to get peeled, I just didn't know certain things, like how to manipulate sodium and water, when to cut off water or NOT cut off water, what to eat the morning of the show, and years later I realize my body is so unique that only a few aspects of which I tried are advantageous for me moving forward, and I hold him in high regards he was a solid homey. I did a mach carb and sodium manipulation many weeks out to test how I would respond before I let it all out on show day. I will also add I have designed diets for probably 1,000 people including many pro athletes, but I do not consider myself on the same level of some of guys or close, I just am proven tried tested and my portfolio speaks for itself. Also, I do not do PRECONTEST diets enjoyably. And after meeting one of dantes really smart students and befriending him and working at a gym but also as a workout partner with him, I also learned alot more about the sport, specifically: (pharmacodynamics, pharmakinetics) . It all coincides, one must try and master all avenues and chambers of the human body, or they will become dormant and atrophied like a TOMB. which is also why I study TCM and Ayurveda and other native/folk/pagan medicine and USE IT on myself and clients.

Last edited:
I have never liked the idea of having someone to guide me in my actions in any area of life, I like to be self-taught even if it leads me to make mistakes. Bodybuilding is an individual effort (or so it should be according to my idea of sport), and it is what differentiated it from other sports where there were always coaches and the athletes only follow orders as if they were military.

That said, and contrary to my ideals, if I was a competitor I maybe would have tried working with Matt Porter RIP or Shelby, they are the only guys that really make me curious.
paul dillet had a lot to say about never allowing a coach to do what he has already done for himself, to "fuck up his diet" theres a cool meme of it

I will also add I have studied shelby and his posts and theories and the other bright minds who have graced this board, including phil hernon, dante

I have been thinking of hiring a coach for awhile, I feel like it would hold me more accountable, I cheat so much my willpower sucks but I know my body pretty well I can get pretty dialed down not anywhere near stage ready but dialed down to where I am extremely happy and it’s a nice feeling.

I’m a coach myself so I never hire anyone, although it’s always nice to have someone look after you since prepping yourself is totally different then prepping someone else

I have always done it all myself. Even when I competed. And like that I am my own team.

For cutting, I do my own diet and planning.
I run my macros and then utilize the best foods to hit those numbers.

If im bulking, i tend to adjust calories based on how I look in the mirror and in pictures.

I do my own diets, after 40 years I should know what works for me. I don't compete, but probably of the leanest 61 year olds you will see. My mass quest was put behind me many years ago.

Competed once in 2018. I used a posing coach and I'm glad I did. I plan on using the same one going into my next show. Invaluable for the "bad dancer" types like myself.

If I hired a coach, it'd have to be for at least a full year offseason->competition->rebound->cruise sequence. I'd like to hire Justin Harris, but I live outside the US in a place where my food choices and availability are just radically different than a western country. Prepping myself feels easy enough, but figuring out offseason has been a bit of a challenge thusfar.

I'd definitely consider hiring a guy like the Squat University guy or kneesovertoesguy. The only real obstacle I've had in bodybuilding is getting injured all the damn time.

I really wish I had a competent coach when I was oly lifting when I first began lifting weights in 2008. Bodybuilding I think most 3 digit IQ people can pretty much figure out what to do with regard to diet/training/AAS/supplementation just because so many different things work for any given individual. Oly lifting is a much more nuanced sport and for a given person with a given bodytype, only a few things will really be optimal from a technique standpoint. Programming is also way more important and practically every single oly lifting noob will choose short run PRs over long run technical development if they aren't reigned in by a coach who forces them to be more patient and spend more time developing maximal technical proficiency. Trying to do all that on my own, I made a lot of really severe mistakes and picked up a lot of injuries that still affect me years later.

Yes, and I do them a lot but, once a year I hire someone else to do a program for me. Especially if I want to learn or see what kind of results I get. I try and follow them to a “T”! I have done 37 different runs from 4 to 16 weeks. Always learning for myself and others. Totally worth the money.

Max:)

I’ve used 4 coaches when I competed. Cant really complain about any of them. Coaches are good for me cause when I diet myself I tend to cut things out to early. I did it recently. My weight was stuck. Couldn’t cut anything needed to reverse diet and add back in. I tend to over think everything. I know I could eat a lot more food then I give myself.

After years of doing this it’s not drugs. Food is number one. Training cardio. If you can’t get ripped without drugs you won’t with them.

I see a lot of people saying ive done his for X amount of years i know my body etc. I think thats where many of you may be missing the point of a coach...every prep i've done has been different. Sure i can get myself lean 5-7 weeks out. But really thats where shit starts to either go great or bad for a lot of guys.

I just do it myself as I know what works for my own body. I'd like to hire one, but a good coach is quite the inveestment. Just those last 2-3 weeks I start freaking out and end up doing to much, but would rather do more than less

I really wish I had a competent coach when I was oly lifting when I first began lifting weights in 2008. Bodybuilding I think most 3 digit IQ people can pretty much figure out what to do with regard to diet/training/AAS/supplementation just because so many different things work for any given individual. Oly lifting is a much more nuanced sport and for a given person with a given bodytype, only a few things will really be optimal from a technique standpoint. Programming is also way more important and practically every single oly lifting noob will choose short run PRs over long run technical development if they aren't reigned in by a coach who forces them to be more patient and spend more time developing maximal technical proficiency. Trying to do all that on my own, I made a lot of really severe mistakes and picked up a lot of injuries that still affect me years later.

I get what you're saying but performance coaching and nutrition coaching are 1000% different and require different mindsets.
I did some performance/training coaching with I PLed and hired Josh Bryant. I just need a structured WO's...but paying someone to tell me exactly what to eat is way different. Both are difficult and if you attempt yourself, you'll spend years of trail & error before you reallllly hit it correctly. I personally dont have time for that.

I see a lot of people saying ive done his for X amount of years i know my body etc. I think thats where many of you may be missing the point of a coach...every prep i've done has been different. Sure i can get myself lean 5-7 weeks out. But really thats where shit starts to either go great or bad for a lot of guys.

100% tren.
"Oh i know how to diet and I know my body" - nah, you don't. Beause if you're dieting for a show and getting older, your body is changing and requires a little different route to get to a similar place. EVERY prep is different.

I get what you're saying but performance coaching and nutrition coaching are 1000% different and require different mindsets.
I did some performance/training coaching with I PLed and hired Josh Bryant. I just need a structured WO's...but paying someone to tell me exactly what to eat is way different. Both are difficult and if you attempt yourself, you'll spend years of trail & error before you reallllly hit it correctly. I personally dont have time for that.

100% tren.
"Oh i know how to diet and I know my body" - nah, you don't. Beause if you're dieting for a show and getting older, your body is changing and requires a little different route to get to a similar place. EVERY prep is different.

Exactly. I'm sure if Hany said he'd Coach ya'll for free you'd be all about it. You just dont want to pay for a coach, but more tren and gh? Always have money for that! :p

Coming to the end of the year and personal experience and looking back I thought this would be a great thread to bring back up.

I personally have always done my own prep. I competed in my early 20’s and decided to go back to the stage going into 2021 so began prep. I did my first show this year in July and took home some medal and was fair.

Given my progress and return, I decided to hire a coach and shoot for my next show and goal. I have education in the space, experience and help coach others as a way to give back. But am a firm believer that we don’t know what we don’t know.

As many here stated- a true coach to me is a mentor, but more importantly someone (if a good coach) that helps you avoid your own blind spots, as in my case and many, we get in our own heads and can push too far.

I talked with many of the top coaches discussed on here and landed on working with Milos. There are so many coaches today, but Milos is one of few who not only has the nickname “the mind”, but also competed as a top IFBB pro in the trenches so has “experience” to truly connect with the athlete. I know DJ coaches, but even he as coached by Milos after turning pro along with several other names all know at the top.

I saw a few mentioned working with Milos in the past, but few talk about his coaching overall so wanted to get others thoughts and input here. To date, I personally have never met someone so passionate and personally vested into each athlete. I spoke with JM briefly prior to him passing and he’s the only other person and coach that I saw that same passion in.

I look forward to anyone else’s experience with Milos and hearing who is working with who going into the end of 2021.

I had a great first coach when i started out. But he got very popular very fast and i felt that when the communication. But ever since that I kept the baseline of the diet he gave me and worked great.

But i also never been on stage, i would for sure get a coach for the first time doing that, and probably a few shows in

Coming to the end of the year and personal experience and looking back I thought this would be a great thread to bring back up.

I personally have always done my own prep. I competed in my early 20’s and decided to go back to the stage going into 2021 so began prep. I did my first show this year in July and took home some medal and was fair.

Given my progress and return, I decided to hire a coach and shoot for my next show and goal. I have education in the space, experience and help coach others as a way to give back. But am a firm believer that we don’t know what we don’t know.

As many here stated- a true coach to me is a mentor, but more importantly someone (if a good coach) that helps you avoid your own blind spots, as in my case and many, we get in our own heads and can push too far.

I talked with many of the top coaches discussed on here and landed on working with Milos. There are so many coaches today, but Milos is one of few who not only has the nickname “the mind”, but also competed as a top IFBB pro in the trenches so has “experience” to truly connect with the athlete. I know DJ coaches, but even he as coached by Milos after turning pro along with several other names all know at the top.

I saw a few mentioned working with Milos in the past, but few talk about his coaching overall so wanted to get others thoughts and input here. To date, I personally have never met someone so passionate and personally vested into each athlete. I spoke with JM briefly prior to him passing and he’s the only other person and coach that I saw that same passion in.

I look forward to anyone else’s experience with Milos and hearing who is working with who going into the end of 2021.
Love Milos. My papa knew him when he was younger, said he had a beautiful wife too(divorced I think). But this was before he was online, doing interviews. He is why I tried “more than a gram of protein per lb” on a cut” and I had incredible results while using clen. 1.75g protein/lb worked well.(for myself) . I don’t recommend for everyone at all though; seems everyone needs to tailor for themselves. He is someone I need to hire down the road. I would follow his advice to a T! See what happens

Max

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity